Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 compared with GTR

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Passifucan
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great summary of the GTR's strong and weak points. My recent purchase came down to a choice between a GTR or the Z06 and I went with the Z06. I don't track so based on your summary I made the right choice for me. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Blurr
Instructor

Thank you sir, very nice write up.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:46 AM
NASTY ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well written. Thanks for the review! Keep us posted on maintenance, etc...
Old 08-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Karlton Banks
Intermediate

Great write-up!! I have a friend going back and forth on these 2 cars and I will have to tell him about it. I am just glad I already have my Z!!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:23 AM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Best automobile comparison I've ever read! Thanks for taking the time to compile it. I've run with some well prepared GT-R's on the track and they are extremely fast. I also get the impression that because of the AWD system you could run these cars at 99% on crappy worn out tires which you can't do on a high horsepower RWD Corvette. Nice write-up.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:30 AM
BMcD-Z06
Racer

Glad I had a full cup of coffee when I started reading! Great review - thanks for posting. I looked at the GTR when it first hit the streets and ended up with a 2008 Audi RS4 as my DD. 420HP V8 and 6 speed manual. Enjoy your GTR and I'm sure your credit card can fix the exhaust sound - plenty of those around here with aftermarket exhausts.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:48 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mcar00
Best automobile comparison I've ever read! Thanks for taking the time to compile it. I've run with some well prepared GT-R's on the track and they are extremely fast. I also get the impression that because of the AWD system you could run these cars at 99% on crappy worn out tires which you can't do on a high horsepower RWD Corvette. Nice write-up.
...... I've attended a handful of events with a shop owner and his modified GTR making high 500awhp. Recently we were at Road Atlanta and he was running 1:28.XX in August (GA) heat. This was done on some very worn tires but he was still exiting turn 12 well into triple digit speeds (130ish I believe) from what he told me. The cars are amazing for track purposes, you have to admit that! I do agree they are not as good at producing the ear to ear grin we all search for when driving a performance car.

I, like many have said, would love to own a GTR and my vette. I wouldn't give up my vette for one most likely.

Those that can admit the GTR is an impressive car are true "car enthusiast." The Corvette doesnt have to be the end all be all.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:20 AM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks
Old 08-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Z O SICK
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good write up.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Trekk
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up, I was debating between getting a viper or a GT-R. Went to test drive and it was disappointing. I felt like you said it is more a car you can enjoy on the track, like Jeremy Clarkson said "does not tingle my wedding vegetable". Amazing car maybe to good, was a nice post to read.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:30 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Awesome write up. Really enjoyed the whole thing.

I always feel this type of feedback is missing whenever a car is reviewed as they only have it for a few days and you never get a real impression of what it is like to live with it as a daily driver.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Blevinator
Pro

Great writeup!
In my own opinion, the GTR is a cool looking car.
I still dont understand how any previous Z06 owner could
trade for a 600lb heavier car with no "true" manual transmission option.
Unless you just cant work a manual due to age \ health reasons, there is
no feeling like a 505hp+ 3000lb car!
If your old school like me, a true sports car has rear wheel drive, no back seat, a manual tranny,
sick horsepower, with awesome handling. Sounds like a Z06!!
After reading this post, I feel even better about my Z !
Thanks man!
Old 08-26-2010, 04:14 PM
RUGBY
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Frank
1st off.... Yes I read the whole thing
I have however come to the conclusion that for me the Z06 is still the best all around car for my needs that I can afford.

Thanks again for the post!!!
Old 08-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Legend
Instructor

Thanks for the post...and yes, I read the whole thing!

Didn't know the GTR only came with paddle shifters...that's weird! I can imagine how it changed your opinion of the car...your write up actually states that!

Wonder if it had a true manual tranny what your thoughts would be?

Always loved the GTRs...I want an R34 V-Spec II though...not old school but the last of the old GTRs!! New ones are super nice too...but nothing beats the R34 for me! I love the looks of the R34s so much!!
Old 08-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Tomcatsbolt
Advanced

I too enjoyed your writeup (all of it). Since more and more cars offer a dual clutch automated manual transmission, I was curious about how they were as a daily driver. I recently drove a Porsche Cayman with a DMG tranny and I was not that impressed. I do wonder, however, how the latest Ferrari dual clutch trannys work, since they seem to have the most experience with them.

Not that I could afford the Ferrari!
Old 08-26-2010, 05:32 PM
bgenerous
Advanced

Excellent write-up; read it from top to bottom. Nice to see a pro's and con's view from someone who has owned both. I autocross with guy who owns one and he is always taking the FTR (fast time of day). I have ridden in it during a run and the grip he gets is unbelievable. Though I would love to own one for race day I just feel the Z06 is a much sexier car and agree with you it is a great DD (the looks I get in it doesn't hurt either). Thanks again for the great write-up.

Brad
Old 08-26-2010, 05:56 PM
BenDiem
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for your sincere impressions of the GTR. I enjoyed your post. I considered this vehicle; however, I could not find one to review/test drive. I ended up buying another American sports car.

I'm a fan of AWD, but I'm not a fan of the Auto tranny, and portly weight.

Mercedes Benz is purportedly considering a merger with Nissan... If this comes into fruition, I would seriously consider a GTR... Imagine Mercedes engineering (F1 engineering) with Japanese reliability. Could be a winner...

Cheers,

BB

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 compared with GTR

Old 08-26-2010, 06:07 PM
spoon man
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

wow that was one of the best car reviews I have read! nicely done man.

I think the GTR is a very cool car. If it came with a 6speed i'd consider...just can't do anything else even if the computer is quicker.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:24 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice write up. AWD is definitely the future of super performance cars.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:57 PM
jumbojet
Instructor

Great write. So in your opinion is the GTR in the "soft" setting a better ride than the C6Z? I have been looking at C6Z's but had considered the GTR because I could DD that car, especially in some of the poorer NYC weather. The Z I can't imagine driving in light snow if I got caught .

Are there any remedies for the problems you had. Maybe a tune? It sounds like the computer really makes it a pain on the streets.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 compared with GTR