Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 compared with GTR

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:25 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Best write up I have read on the GTR, thank you.

I will keep my Z06.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:34 PM
427Mike
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean when talking about the delay from a stop and go, I drove my friends GTR for a day and found a few small things that bothered me. Have you had any services done on the car? From what I've seen they cost almost as much as a Ferrari for up keep and basic maintenance.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:56 PM
AreOhBeeC6Z
Racer

Excelllent write up and read!
Old 08-26-2010, 08:33 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Thanks for taking the time to write an excellent comparison for us. I real the whole thing as well.

Funny thing is that I am a Nissan Parts Manager and I just bought a Z06. Guess that speaks volumes.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:51 PM
djgcue
Racer

Originally Posted by u1arunit
Funny thing is that I am a Nissan Parts Manager and I just bought a Z06. Guess that speaks volumes.
Funny, I was in Product Planning at NNA when they were HQ'ed in Gardena. One day instead of rolling up in my 350Z, I drove up in a Vette.

Good to see the positive responses for GTR from Vette owners.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:44 PM
BSheppard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a test drive I just could not live with the Auto. If the thing came in a manual, Nissan would have my $80k and my C6Z would have a friend in the garage. Maybe in the future Nissan will make a Manual.

Forgot to say, GREAT comparison!
Old 08-27-2010, 12:40 AM
spekterg35
Advanced

Thanks for the awesome write up. It definitely solidified my positive feelings on having purchased the Z over the GTR. After buying my ISF (which coincidentally downshifts hella fast), i knew the computers just weren't going to cut it as far as fun factor goes.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:52 AM
azZ06Mike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '11

Great post i for one will never buy a foreign car so no go for me! And the two i have tangled with on a roll is correct i was out by 5 cars and never looked back! I would love to get one from a dig and have no issue doing it on street tires!
Old 08-27-2010, 07:28 AM
nzk
Burning Brakes

thanks for the great review, had no idea of the problems of a semi automatic tranny during daily driving. seems dangerous.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Great write up!!

As the owner of both 09 GT-R and a 07 Z06 I think you did an excellent job of describing the strengths and weakness of the GT-R in comparison to the Z06 in STOCK forum.

I agree with you 100% on DD the GT-R in Auto mode. I don't like it at all and I'm almost always in manual.. which I enjoy MUCH better anyway regardless of the autos quick gear changes. I have never felt some of the lag issues you have on your GT-R but mine was not stock for very long.

Your write up is spot on IMO even on the track and street performance of the GT-R. Asleep at the stoplight or don't have good rubber on your car and the GT-R is gone! From a roll against the Z06 stock vs stock...well the Z06 will win that race every time unless the Z06 driver is completely inapt at driving.

Also the fact that you noticed the lack of an exhaust note on a road course being a negative tells me you've spent some time with the car at the track. Thats why an exhaust, DP and dyno tune with a Cobb unit is a must IMO.

The maintenance thing has been a bit over hyped on the INTERNET and I have had no issues with mine at all and have not spent much at all on maintaining the GT-R.

Things have changed for me since both my Z06 and GT-R are both modified now, so their drive-ability has changed as well both on and off the track. Now the Z06 is the better HDPE car and the GT-R is the straight-line monster and completely useless on a road course.

One thing that I find different from most duel owners is I find the Z06 more comfortable than the GT-R! Maybe it's my big butt or body shape, height, whatever but for me it's the Z06 that I'm the most comfortable in. I know I'm in the minority on this one but I like the Z06 interior. Oh yes would I like better materials in a few places but I'd take performance over " Cordoba" leather stitched interior any day.

Funny you wrote this thread because the other day I almost traded in my Z06 on a new MB E class awd sedan. I was talking to my salesperson who happens to be one of my best Friends and we both agreed that the Z06 was the best looking car on the lot! My plan was to trade the 07 Z in on the Benz and then order a new Z for spring delivery or find a mint 09 or 10. The thought of giving up my Z06 in the late summer and not being able to drive one till spring was the deal breaker for me and I told my buddy lets talk again in Nov...Love my Z

Bottom line is IMO they are still the 2 best " ALL AROUND " performance cars in their price range period! They both offer their own special driving rewards and I'm thankful I can own/drive both.

To the OP......GET another Z06 and feel complete again!

Last edited by Wanderer Z06; 08-27-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Nithros
St. Jude Partner since 89
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Great write up

We could use a lot more of that from people who have "done it".
Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 PM
cr133r
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by azZ06Mike
Great post i for one will never buy a foreign car so no go for me! And the two i have tangled with on a roll is correct i was out by 5 cars and never looked back! I would love to get one from a dig and have no issue doing it on street tires!
Until you mod the car, there's one down here that will take you from a dig and a roll. It pulled even with my car at a local airstrip from a 40 roll and I think its a little faster now.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:09 PM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm the only one that understand the OP post?

GTR is better than the Z06 on track, street, road course... but on DD the Z06 is better because the GTR have to be on manual mode to "hang with the competitor"... that's all??? lol

I know is your opinion and all but if you put this thread on NAGTROC it will be different hehehe

Not saying that you have a real point but like Wanderer Z06 said... just get a exhaust and drive it on manual mode

IMHO both cars have there own league... and both are great on what they do.

stock vs stock the only thing that shines on the Z06 is his power (top end, street racing, ect.) but other than that is a matter of taste.

Mod vs Mod... well you gonna spend twice (or almost triple) the $$$ on the GTR to hang on a heavy Modify Z06, believe me my Z have 670 whp & 650 wtq
Old 08-27-2010, 10:25 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Astonishingly good writeup!!! Very thorough.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:58 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

The extra 600 pounds on the road course doesn't eat up the tires? The extra weight and much higher center of gravity doesn't hurt the turn-in or lateral G? Amazing. Quite a machine. You are right. I does seem to defy the laws of physics. It sounds that it would have been a much better car with a normal 6-speed Auto with a manual lock-up for the converter option for road courses.
Gary
Old 08-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Blevinator
Pro

There is no way a 600lb heavier car with less hp will keep up or handle as good as a z06 on the track, just doesnt make sense. May be easier to drive, yes but thats it. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:09 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was an awesome write up, need to send to some of the auto mags out there so they can see how it should be done. Read the whole thing and found it both informative and entertaining. Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts out there....Great job man!....

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 compared with GTR

Old 08-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Blevinator
There is no way a 600lb heavier car with less hp will keep up or handle as good as a z06 on the track, just doesnt make sense. May be easier to drive, yes but thats it. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Believe it!

Lap times don't lie.

It takes a suspension, brake and tire upgrade Z06 to hang with or beat a stock GT-R on a track with equally good drivers. As the OP said the GT-R at times does seem to defy the laws of physics.

I would like to see how the Carbon Z06 stacks up to the GT-R on the track. Might be a different outcome. Hope a auto mag does a comparison test.

And it's only going to get better with the 2012 model GT-R coming. It is getting a frame up overall from Nissan as they just let out some of the info to the press on the car. It will be better in all ways over the current car. Should be a sh** load of 09's and 10's available when the 12's come out. So if someone is thinking of modding the GT-R well IMO that would be the time to pick up a used one.

Just like the Z06, the GT-R takes to mods like a duck to water.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:11 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the truth is, the limiting factor in speeds for most "track day" drivers is their confidence in taking the car close to its limits. AWD car with trick suspension and stability computers is very helpful in overcoming that.

the power and power/weight advantage is a lot less important than it seems on a lot of tracks since you are modulating thottle to maintain traction almost as much as you are full on the gas. in addition, being able to select any gear at any moment without disturbing balance of the car is huge in making up for a few lost mph on the long straights.

so yes, if you are novice/intermediate driver you will likely go faster in a GT-R. beyond that, you get into some very fine details and the advantages probably become track/weather specific.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:26 AM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Believe it!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 compared with GTR