Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

[Z06] Z06 exhaust removal

Old 10-09-2010, 04:07 PM
383vett
CF Senior Member

On my 08 I was able to remove the exhaust without dropping the cradle and removing the heat shield. Just moved the swaybar out of the way. I guess all cars are different.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:10 PM
u1arunit
CF Senior Member

On my late build '07 I dropped the sway bar, removed the upper heat shield pan, and pulled and twisted the RH muffler and it did come out. I ended up using a small pry bar on the pipe and using the slats in the upper floor pan to persuade it another inch or so and it came out.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:50 AM
0JonnyL
Former Vendor

Secure way to get under the car. Wiggle all you want - it will remain stable.

More info @ www.raceramps.com.
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2012, 08:20 PM
NJZ06
CF Senior Member

This is a old thread, but man I was working on pulling the exhaust off today on my 08 Z and it was a little more challenging than I thought it would be. I jacked up all 4 corners of the car, had to remove the X pipe and drop the sway bar. The drivers side came out very easily however the passenger is still proving to be a challenge.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:03 PM
NJZ06
CF Senior Member

Just went back into the garage, unbolted the heat shield, just 6 small bolts and presto, that gave the extra 1/2" of upward space needed to push the pipe through.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:52 PM
toxin440
CF Senior Member

I did the exhaust mod on my 08 Z06 -- took the mufflers off myself in my garage using race ramps in the front, and jacks in the rear. Dropped the rear sway bar as well.

Passenger side was a B1TCH and a half. Heat shield pissed me off, getting it out and back in was most of the work of the whole project. If I was going to do it all over again, I would find a friend or even a local corvette person who has a lift and pay them cash to have some lift time.

My method worked, but it took forever and was NOT safe at all looking back.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:21 AM
LFZ
CF Senior Member

Even on a lift...I've had to take the heat shield off. That passenger pipe is just a pain.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:30 AM
160KTS
CF Senior Member

I tried it once. Then I got smart and took it to a shop with a lift. Cost me more money but it was actually done correctly and in 1/4 of the time.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 AM
tim414
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Vito.A View Post
Your 09 Z06 mufflers will come out if you remove the passenger side heat shield and drop the sway bar out of the way. Put the front end on 2 X 6 boards and the rear on jack stands. You do not need to remove the trans wire harness, just be careful with it (2-man job).

You will need to completely remove the H pipe to get the mufflers back in properly. Reinstall both mufflers up over the axle, but do not secure them. Then reinstall the H/X pipe slip fit into the over axle pipes, then loosely bolt it up to the cats. Use anti-seize on the slip fits and the bolts.

A thought, if you ever go to long tube headers you will need to replace the ZR1 X pipe with the header manufacturers X pipe. If you ever plan to run headers, this could be a waste of funds.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:58 PM
Ewout_vB
CF Senior Member

I just installed some ZR1 mufflers on my 2008 Z51 .

I had the front on 10" Race Ramps and the rear on 2 piece 10" Race Ramp Wheel Stands. After removing the muffler heatshield and dropping the sway bar it was very very tight, but definitely doable with 2 people and a healthy dose of patience .
Old 11-26-2013, 08:33 AM
LFZ
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ewout_vB View Post
I just installed some ZR1 mufflers on my 2008 Z51 .

I had the front on 10" Race Ramps and the rear on 2 piece 10" Race Ramp Wheel Stands. After removing the muffler heatshield and dropping the sway bar it was very very tight, but definitely doable with 2 people and a healthy dose of patience .
Pulling out a 2.5" diameter pipe is a lot easier on the base versus the 3" pipe on a Z. But definitively requires patience.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Ewout_vB
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by LFZ View Post
Pulling out a 2.5" diameter pipe is a lot easier on the base versus the 3" pipe on a Z. But definitively requires patience.
The zr1 mufflers I installed are the 3 inch pipes. Removing the NPP mufflers was a joke.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:26 AM
LFZ
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ewout_vB View Post
The zr1 mufflers I installed are the 3 inch pipes. Removing the NPP mufflers was a joke.
For some reason...Installation goes a lot smoother than taking out. Removing your NPPs was a joke because it was 2.5" diameter. That 0.5" makes all the difference in the world.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:43 PM
dcamick
dcamick
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry Everyone! I chopped the Passenger side Pipe with a reciprocating saw!! It got stuck!!

Very Frustrating experience! But still very glad I did it!!!
Old 12-12-2013, 09:44 AM
JFCalvano
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dcamick View Post
Sorry Everyone! I chopped the Passenger side Pipe with a reciprocating saw!! It got stuck!!

Completed my install last night. Ramps in the rear with a floor jack on the side (which ever I was removing). Did it alone and was able to remove both sides without removing the rear heat sheild, but I did bend it a bit (removal would have been an option, but doubt anyone will see the bends). I did a swap for the B&B Fusion system. The passenger side was a struggle. Whole job took a couple of hours with the passenger side taking the most time. Thought I was not going to get it for awhile there, then all of the sudden it just worked. You've got to wiggle and twist that passenger side, but it will come off. Fusion system sounds great.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:07 PM
loudblazer
CF Member

Originally Posted by dcamick View Post

im in okc and a referred muffler shop said they had done the muffler mod before on my car, 07 Z, but turns out they had only worked on C5s and didn't have the tools or knew how to remove the mufflers, even the driver side. They originally were going to charge 225, then 300 after it was going to take longer, then said they don't know how. They were very nice and didn't charge me. Any good suggestions or a step by step? I want to keep the dual mode and muffler mod seems like a more sensible option than B&B.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:38 PM
MTPZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,013 Posts

^ They couldn't figure out how to drop the mufflers from the car?

Old thread BTW...

Last edited by MTPZ06; 06-16-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:47 PM
loudblazer
CF Member

Originally Posted by MTPZ06 View Post
^ They couldn't figure out how to drop the mufflers from the car?

Old thread BTW...
ya, I was doing a search and this looked like the best one. They said they didn't have the tools to raise it up to get the space. Car was on a lift. Apologies as I'm probably not explaining this very well.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:05 PM
dmuellenberg
CF Senior Member

A muffler shop and they claim they don't know how to remove the exhaust? I never removed an exhaust before in my life and I did it myself on my C6 Z06 (with help from my son) and it wasn't a big deal - just used a lift. Probably good to not use them then.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:23 PM
Ewout_vB
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by loudblazer View Post
im in okc and a referred muffler shop said they had done the muffler mod before on my car, 07 Z, but turns out they had only worked on C5s and didn't have the tools or knew how to remove the mufflers, even the driver side. They originally were going to charge 225, then 300 after it was going to take longer, then said they don't know how. They were very nice and didn't charge me. Any good suggestions or a step by step? I want to keep the dual mode and muffler mod seems like a more sensible option than B&B.
It's pretty easy to do if you lift the car enough and you drop the sway/stabilizer bar but you do have to twist the muffler as you remove it. The one thing I have to do in my garage as my race ramps don't get it high enough off the ground is to remove the headshield held in with a few bolts that is above the two mufflers -- very easy to remove and reinstall.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 exhaust removal

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: