Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Lingenfelter or Katech

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:03 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racer44
Yea, and when you do, get the "other" side of the story to post, because, especially on this forum, there is ALWAYS another side to these stories.
It has been a long time (98) and LPE is owned by an entirely different person(s) than the original family that they are known for.

That being said my experience with them was so bad I would never ever try them again

Even though they are a "different operation today" I could not live with myself for being so stupid if I was to ever give them another chance and there was even a hint of a repeat of what happened the first time.

You want call BS go ahead and do so but the story stands and I have lots of witnesses to what happened.

Doug
Old 09-17-2010, 08:17 AM
John@Caravaggio Corvettes
Safety Car

Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by FIRSTC6Z06
John,

I wanted to do your seats and asked each tuner about the install. The timing just doesn't seem to be there. They said you need my old seats to be shipped to them, and shipped back. There goes two weeks. Then, we know your great work isn't fast. They, and I, just didn't see how we could get it done fast enough to get back to me by the end of October or there about.

I'm sorry about our previous e-mail mixup. I just wasn't getting your responses. I understand I wasn't the only one.

I do admire your magnificent workmanship. I was actually considering Katech very hard, partly because of their proximity to you!
No problem, if you ever want to do them you know how to reach me.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:27 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 594 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Originally Posted by Shurshot
It has been a long time (98) and LPE is owned by an entirely different person(s) than the original family that they are known for.

That being said my experience with them was so bad I would never ever try them again

Even though they are a "different operation today" I could not live with myself for being so stupid if I was to ever give them another chance and there was even a hint of a repeat of what happened the first time.

You want call BS go ahead and do so but the story stands and I have lots of witnesses to what happened.

Doug
98 Is manny years ago

They are entirely different company

Either way i call :

First class outfit all the way
Old 09-18-2010, 01:06 AM
FIRSTC6Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A true test

Guys,

I would say that for the most part people feel that both companies are excellent. I'm sure that in business, you can't go on forever without having a few problems. It's really about how you handle the problems?

I've committed to Lingenfelter and will follow through. My car goes to them the day after I pick it up (Sept.28th) and is due back at the end of October. I'll post everything that happens all the way through so we all have a good basis to decide whether they are honorable, reputable, and as good as most think they are.

Katech referred me to a guy named "weapons grade torque" on this forum? I don't know who he is. Apparently he has a horror story about Lingenfelter?

I prefer not to hear stories from 1998 but am certainly interested in current experiences good or bad.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:30 AM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys,

I would say that for the most part people feel that both companies are excellent. I'm sure that in business, you can't go on forever without having a few problems. It's really about how you handle the problems?

I've committed to Lingenfelter and will follow through. My car goes to them the day after I pick it up (Sept.28th) and is due back at the end of October. I'll post everything that happens all the way through so we all have a good basis to decide whether they are honorable, reputable, and as good as most think they are.

Katech referred me to a guy named "weapons grade torque" on this forum? I don't know who he is. Apparently he has a horror story about Lingenfelter?

I prefer not to hear stories from 1998 but am certainly interested in current experiences good or bad.
I don't think it's good for Katech to tell you Lingenfelter has customers with horror stories... most companies will have a strong stance of "we don't talk about our competition". Like my experience on here with one shop that's a vendor, and then I found Dallas Performance. I'm glad Taylor is honest and reputable, and when he charges me for a tune he actually does a tune. But Taylor will not say 1 word about the other place, because it's best to stay neutral and keep a business focused on business, not rumors/gossip/talking trash about other companies.

If all I did was go around talking trash about my competitors, what does that say about my product? Seems like I'm too caught up in what they do wrong and want to throw it in their face, instead of focusing on making my own work the best it can be.

I've had 1 experience with Lingenfelter, I bought my Z06 Chrome Spyder wheels off a guy who Lingenfelter was doing some work to his car. The guy was overseas. Lingenfelter worked with me on payment, and they shipped the wheels perfectly. It was as good a transaction as I could hope for, of course it was something simple but any time I called or emailed, I got a prompt response and answers. I've never dealt with Katech but I've heard good things.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:50 AM
FIRSTC6Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by simplyphp
I don't think it's good for Katech to tell you Lingenfelter has customers with horror stories... most companies will have a strong stance of "we don't talk about our competition".it's best to stay neutral and keep a business focused on business, not rumors/gossip/talking trash about other companies.

If all I did was go around talking trash about my competitors, what does that say about my product?

I've had 1 experience with Lingenfelter, I bought my Z06 Chrome Spyder wheels off a guy who Lingenfelter was doing some work to his car. The guy was overseas. Lingenfelter worked with me on payment, and they shipped the wheels perfectly. It was as good a transaction as I could hope for, of course it was something simple but any time I called or emailed, I got a prompt response and answers. I've never dealt with Katech but I've heard good things.
Just a bit of sour grapes I suspect? No harm

But

Last edited by FIRSTC6Z06; 09-18-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:17 AM
CrystalRedMetal ZR-1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very recently (Last 3 months), and on several occasions, I contacted Lingenfelter to discuss having them do some work, and was not handled in a way indicitave of a "top-class" operation.

I decided to call them as my e-mails were not answered. Upon calling, I asked to speak to one of their engineers, (I will not release his identity on a public forum out of respect.)

This engineer spoke to me about my plans with my ZR1, and told me that they would put a plan together and e-mail me back. I sent an e-mail and never recieved a reply. I had to call them on the phone on different days, and finally spoke to the engineer again only to be told to send the details of what I wanted done in an e-mail again. I sent the e-mail and was never responded to. I sent it again, asking for an update and so far have been ignored.

I decided that if they didn't take me seriously, then my business should go elsewhere.

I cannot speak for the LPE operation entirely, but in this respect, it failed to earn my approval of what I consider to be "top-class".

I have been to plenty performance shops in my modifying history, and my experience is that these are warning signs of things to come and it is in the best interest of the consumer to avoid a shop who does not give their customers significant attention when necessary. If you can't get so far as a quote in 2 months time, it's is NOT a good sign.

To me: the upkeep of a "top-class" operation largely depends on how well you communicate with, and stay involved with your existing and prospective customers. Responding to an e-mail, after saying multiple times that you will, is ABSOLUTELY necessary if you plan to have a customer trust you with their brand new $100k car. It is a fundamental. A minimum of what is to be expected. Timely dialogue between both parties is a must and massive delay and/or ignorings can only mean a few things. All of them bad.

Note: I did send e-mail to LPE in addition to the direct e-mails to the engineer, but have not been answered. Subsequently, I chose another well-known and respectable operation for my needs, and have not been let down yet. I am treated with importance, and they are in no-way short on business - so I feel like they take time out of their day to make their customers feel comfortable, as they should! I have no complaints, and will make recommendations once I have the car back and can vouch for their work.

LPE may have a decent history, and some good practices in place, but there are obviously some lack of customer value in some of their employees... Unfortunately one is in the "engineering" section of the business. The fact that no-one responded to me, on the engineering side or elsewhere makes the choice easy for me.

I know there are probably many good stories from happy customers, "as this is a byproduct of getting your much faster, cooler, louder corvette back in the hands of it's owner". I also think that it's probably true that most of their work is at least decent, if not good; but I want to be re-assured by the technical staff that I am important to them. After all, what is a company without it's good-standing with not only existing, but prospective customers? Maybe things aren't going so well over at LPE these days. Maybe it's just a few bad apples. I don't know, but....

I just won't chance it.

- Bryan

PS:
I may be a bit ****, and demanding some-times, but I can't imagine there's any shortage of nitpicky, demanding corvette owners here. When you want the BEST of something, especially with regard to modifications to otherwise warrantied performance vehicles, you have to know what the warning signs are to be able to avoid them, and which signs you are willing to accept as "universal", or excusable; and stomach the aftermath if it doesn't go well. I have no experience with Katech as of yet, but good luck whatever your choice.

Last edited by CrystalRedMetal ZR-1; 09-18-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:14 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by simplyphp
I don't think it's good for Katech to tell you Lingenfelter has customers with horror stories... most companies will have a strong stance of "we don't talk about our competition". Like my experience on here with one shop that's a vendor, and then I found Dallas Performance. I'm glad Taylor is honest and reputable, and when he charges me for a tune he actually does a tune. But Taylor will not say 1 word about the other place, because it's best to stay neutral and keep a business focused on business, not rumors/gossip/talking trash about other companies.

If all I did was go around talking trash about my competitors, what does that say about my product? Seems like I'm too caught up in what they do wrong and want to throw it in their face, instead of focusing on making my own work the best it can be.

Just a bit of sour grapes I suspect? No harm

But
I've NEVER had Katech do any work for me...but,

I don't see Lingenfelter's name on any C5R or C6R championships...ever.

I've also "heard" about *some* bad experiences with Lingenfelter since John died. Not first-hand, but enough to make me hesitate a second.

While every organization *could* have bad experiences...I've NEVER heard of ONE about Katech in over 10 years on this forum.

Ever wonder why?

Try checking out THEIR heritage and I think you'll figure it out...

There's a difference between being a boutique shop and a racing shop...

One only needs to look at GM's current racing program to see the differences. Since they have gone to internal engine building, they have not won and they have had an engine failure @ Lemans....

Something that never happened with Katech engines...in their entire involvement with Corvette Racing.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Mallett Z
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by 2muchhp
Sorry to put this out, but you asked. A c6 owner I drive with at the track has a Lingenfelter engine upgrade.

About a month ago I spoke to him, and I came away amazed that he told me of his problems, because I too had a favorable impression of their operation. In this case there was 1) a product failure, 2) a reluctance on the part of Lingenfelter to warranty their work, followed by 3) a determination that the head bolts were incorrectly torqued by the operation which caused the problem. I suppose now that John is gone maybe things have changed.

Having just run with Katech at the track attack in June, I hold only the highest regard for their operation. They supplied the engines for the Corvette race team that won LeMans fer cryin out loud.

Go Katech.
My good friend is currently having problems 1 and 2 you mentioned above with Lingenfelter. he has the 660 package on his Z06 and almost daily drives it and alot of the time drives it hard. he is having an issue with the car and he told me that lingenfelter told him that if they determine the problem is a result of the way he beats on a car, that he would have extra costs and they would not warranty it. The car was done in the spring and has 7,000 miles on it. again. this is coming from him. its not my personal expierence.

If this is the case what is the point of the warranty if they just void it if you use the car for what it was built for instead of just sitting...

Last edited by Mallett Z; 09-20-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:53 PM
JR.
Instructor

hey First, sounds like you are a very intelligent person, it will be interesting to watch your progress with Lingenfelter

Katech has an unmatched track record plus their engineering is first rate.

check out ALL of their website. very impressive.

every company has problems with products, it's how they handle these issues that makes a company someone you want to do business with.

it's ALL about customer service..

Old 09-21-2010, 04:37 AM
FIRSTC6Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by JR.

hey First, sounds like you are a very intelligent person, it will be interesting to watch your progress with Lingenfelter

Katech has an unmatched track record plus their engineering is first rate.

check out ALL of their website. very impressive.

every company has problems with products, it's how they handle these issues that makes a company someone you want to do business with.

it's ALL about customer service..

I spoke with someone today who knows both owners and companies. He has been to both facilities and is very familiar with all the offerings from both. He works at the GM Plant in BG.

His take was that if the car was going to be tracked (road raced) frequently, he would want Katech to build it. This is why they build team cars extremely well, for big budget, well funded race teams. If it was a street car/drag racer, he would want Lingenfelter to build it.

Both are extremely capable but Lingenfelter has done many more retail one at a time jobs for individuals that are not teams or sponsored road racers. They will not recommend for example that a racing type timing chain be installed for a ZR1 with a pully change and cam or the like. Lingenfelter explains that Katech is always thinking race team and this may be a good thing but you must ask yourself is it worth the money for something that in all likelihood isn't necessary?

I'm not saying either is better, I'm just saying there's a bit of difference in their customer usage. I think that if we could afford it, we would all opt for the best of everything, nuts and bolts included, but at what point do we say if it ain't broke don't fix it? Each or us has a different budget and use for their build?

In my case I want a very reliable strong build but I'm not sure I will pay for stronger parts that have nothing to do with what I'm trying to accomplish? There's no end to what can be pitched as stronger and therefor more reliable?
One of these guys recommended a Dewitts radiator, the other said it's overkill, the ZR1 radiator is excellent. If your tracking your car under all out conditions all day you may need it, but if you want the power on the street and occasionally drag race every now and then, you'll never need it.

Lingenfelter sponsors their own drag days at Muncie dragstrip for their customers, and with the large volume of individual customer cars they do, will have some individual issues that need to be resolved as any business will. Katech has issues, believe me, but when your setting up cars for a team resolving issues are just another part of the build.

I found my discussion informative, and this gentleman said both companies have excellent engineers who visit BG regularly. He personally is a road racer and would therefor use Katech but would have no issue at all with a street or drag car built by Lingenfelter.

I think these type issues may be a fundamental difference between the two companies. They have some overlap now that Katech is dealing with the individual non team guy but there's still a difference in the way each looks at the job. Each company uses parts developed by the other. That says volumes right there. They each will tell you that they have great respect for the other.

Last edited by FIRSTC6Z06; 09-21-2010 at 05:06 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:14 AM
JR.
Instructor

His take was that if the car was going to be tracked (road raced) frequently, he would want Katech to build it. This is why they build team cars extremely well, for big budget, well funded race teams. If it was a street car/drag racer, he would want Lingenfelter to build it.

Each company uses parts developed by the other. That says volumes right there. They each will tell you that they have great respect for the other.

speaking of the track, i assume with your experience, wisdom and energy you have participated in some track days. they are so much fun, even at eight tenths, very stimulating.

the only thing more fun than car track days is motorcycle track days. just the right amount of risk and stimulation..

yes, i did notice that Katech uses Lingenfelter parts which i found interesting.

you car is going to be a blast. good for you!

living life to the fullest is the ONLY way to go!!

Old 07-11-2012, 10:06 PM
loudblazer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you all for your input. It's helped greatly!

All things being about equal as far as quality of work, I figured I'd go with the closer company to Bowling Green. I'm paying more at Lingenfelter, but I'm doing more than the Stage 3 at Katech.

I'll certainly post the progress and dyno results before and after.
Isnt the Stage 3 Katech 787hp? How much hp do you want your ZR1 to have?
Old 07-11-2012, 11:13 PM
K B Vettin
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

John,

I wanted to do your seats and asked each tuner about the install. The timing just doesn't seem to be there. They said you need my old seats to be shipped to them, and shipped back. There goes two weeks. Then, we know your great work isn't fast. They, and I, just didn't see how we could get it done fast enough to get back to me by the end of October or there about.

I'm sorry about our previous e-mail mixup. I just wasn't getting your responses. I understand I wasn't the only one.

I do admire your magnificent workmanship. I was actually considering Katech very hard, partly because of their proximity to you!
I'm not sure if you know this, but you can order the Daytona race seats from John without sending him yours first. i ordered a set of the daytona race seats with the zr1 logo and mine shipped Monday and i've had my stock seats the whole time. i'll be shipping him mine back asap. you should order them now if you want them in October, they are about 3 months out, maybe less now that the summer push is gone.

by the way i did the lignefelter 735 kit (710 kit + LPE CAM and valve springs + LPE Tuning) and the car is amazingly faster, more responsive, and feels as reliable as ever.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:40 AM
narush
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Great information in here thanks.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:33 AM
b.lee
Burning Brakes

Katech because it's race proven performance.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:34 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Please don't revive old threads!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Lingenfelter or Katech