Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Snapped axle on Runflats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:10 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Unfortunately the 09 axles are not a simple bolt in. Will cost $$$ to swap.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:14 AM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NORTY
Would Pfadt solid motor/trans mounts minimize hop?
Absolutely..at least in my case they eliminated it entirely.
I had a broken motor mount which resulted in uncontrolable violent wheel hop (aka driveline shake).

Now with the new solid Pfadt mounts I can spin the tires at will with zero wheel hop.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:30 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 383vett
Unfortunately the 09 axles are not a simple bolt in. Will cost $$$ to swap.
Then upgrade to the 07 and 08 axles, that will be more affordable, right?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:25 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll bet it wasn't the axle itself that broke but the inner CV joint (tri-pot), right?

Even the new ZR1 axles are still the tri-pot design, so the only way they could be an improvement would be if the material (maybe hardness) is different, which is probably what's been done.

C5 axles will bolt right in, don't cost much and have a proven record of virtual indistructability, probably related to their different inner CV joint design which spreads the load over 5 ***** instead of 3 bearings...although this is just a guess on my part.

As for mods, you probably wont like what the Pfadt engine and trans mounts do to create more noise/vibration. If you want to do a mod which can help a lot with hop and doesn't cost much, get those freakin soft rubber rear control arm bushings out of there and replaced with poly bushings. Of course even this will have some negative impact on ride harshness but it's relatively minor IMHO.

For the record, I've got an '06 with coilovers and stickier than stock tires, which broke the right axle (CV joint). I've also installed some modified ECS half-shaft safety loops so if this ever happens again there wont be any collateral damage. I broke mine right on launch, so very low speed, and it still took out one of my very expensive Penske/Ebach coilovers...just can't imagine the sh*t that would happen breaking an axle on a 1-2 shift at 60 mph!

Cheers, Paul.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:58 AM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
I'll bet it wasn't the axle itself that broke but the inner CV joint (tri-pot), right?

Even the new ZR1 axles are still the tri-pot design, so the only way they could be an improvement would be if the material (maybe hardness) is different, which is probably what's been done.

C5 axles will bolt right in, don't cost much and have a proven record of virtual indistructability, probably related to their different inner CV joint design which spreads the load over 5 ***** instead of 3 bearings...although this is just a guess on my part.

As for mods, you probably wont like what the Pfadt engine and trans mounts do to create more noise/vibration. If you want to do a mod which can help a lot with hop and doesn't cost much, get those freakin soft rubber rear control arm bushings out of there and replaced with poly bushings. Of course even this will have some negative impact on ride harshness but it's relatively minor IMHO.

For the record, I've got an '06 with coilovers and stickier than stock tires, which broke the right axle (CV joint). I've also installed some modified ECS half-shaft safety loops so if this ever happens again there wont be any collateral damage. I broke mine right on launch, so very low speed, and it still took out one of my very expensive Penske/Ebach coilovers...just can't imagine the sh*t that would happen breaking an axle on a 1-2 shift at 60 mph!

Cheers, Paul.
Yep I think thats exactly where it broke but havent had the wheel off yet and it was almost dark when I did it so it was hard to see. It cut all the way through the wheel. Im sure there is more damage in there too. I def want to get those safety loops. I am just so happy that is happened under warranty. It runs out in December.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:36 PM
lonewolf455
Instructor

BROKE mine to 2006 z06 3000miles snapped the innerjoint into many little pieces cheap way is c5 axles in a-1 part #60-1374 or try driveshaftshop for some heavyduty kit axles-800-564-2244
Old 10-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z

Cheers, Paul.

All the breaking of these driveline parts on 2006s Z at the track, and the street, etc. are very DISTRESSING to hear about, ESPECIALLY some even breaking with worn out GY Runflats on them, like happened to the Original poster here!!

How they make these parts stronger on a C5 Z vs the fist year 2006 Z06 is beyond my wildest imagination (the GM engineers most have really been sleeping when they came up with that design)!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:09 PM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
All the breaking of these driveline parts on 2006s Z at the track, and the street, etc. are very DISTRESSING to hear about, ESPECIALLY some even breaking with worn out GY Runflats on them, like happened to the Original poster here!!

How they make these parts stronger on a C5 Z vs the fist year 2006 Z06 is beyond my wildest imagination (the GM engineers most have really been sleeping when they came up with that design)!
Worn out? My tires only have 17,137 miles on them.....

I bet my car misses its previous owners!
Old 10-19-2010, 12:02 AM
383vett
Race Director

Then upgrade to the 07 and 08 axles, that will be more affordable, right?
Snapped axle on my 08 with runflats. Switched both sides to c5 axles 2 years ago. No problems since.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:04 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 383vett
Snapped axle on my 08 with runflats. Switched both sides to c5 axles 2 years ago. No problems since.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:17 PM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

Update: Dropped the car off yesterday and they said they wont know till they tear it apart if it will be covered or not? I have the GM extended warranty that covers drivetrain so I really dont see how they could deny it. He said if I was under factory warranty there would be no question but since its extended he cant know for sure. What the heck?!?!
Old 10-19-2010, 03:05 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Not to hijack, figure this is adding value to the thread in case this is not covered under OPer's warranty. Are all C5 axles the same (part #60-1374) or did the z06s have a different unit and part number? Seems like the best luck short of ds shop axles are the c5s. Appreciate any feedback.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Rod
Update: Dropped the car off yesterday and they said they wont know till they tear it apart if it will be covered or not? I have the GM extended warranty that covers drivetrain so I really dont see how they could deny it. He said if I was under factory warranty there would be no question but since its extended he cant know for sure. What the heck?!?!
Hi D-Rod. GMPP has covered broken axle shafts in CY 2008 and 2009. So you should be fine. And the dealer will use the latest part for your VIN. Cost to you should be just the deductible on the plan you selected.

The latest couple versions of the rear axles have been very reliable under hard driving at reasonable power levels.

Ranger
Old 10-19-2010, 05:06 PM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ranger
Hi D-Rod. GMPP has covered broken axle shafts in CY 2008 and 2009. So you should be fine. And the dealer will use the latest part for your VIN. Cost to you should be just the deductible on the plan you selected.

The latest couple versions of the rear axles have been very reliable under hard driving at reasonable power levels.

Ranger
I just checked my warranty info and it says output shafts are covered in the extended warranty . Also, I have a $0 deductable to make it even better.

Its wierd looking in the garage and not seeing my baby in there.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:18 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Rod
I just checked my warranty info and it says output shafts are covered in the extended warranty . Also, I have a $0 deductable to make it even better.

Its wierd looking in the garage and not seeing my baby in there.

You may want to have them replace the other one while they are in there.

The axles themselves, go for about $300.00, the labor, won't hit you too hard since they're already in there, so your out of pocket cost won't be too bad for the peace of mind.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:10 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Mine's an 06 as well. I think I heard that early build 06's were even more prone to broken axles when experiencing wheel hop.Upgrade to the newer 09+ axles and you'll be OK, but no axle is impervious to the dreaded wheel hop syndrome.

I can also tell you that swapping out my factory rear shocks for the DRM spec Bilsteins helped a lot with wheel hop at the track
with the part there was a little difficulty with '06 diffs. I am in NO WAY a expert but I have been watching and sorta 'tracking' Z06's since '07. I read allot about early '06's with heat build-up (I do not believe '6 had diff cooler-please correct me if I am wrong) which lead to failure. I don't really remember "hopping" as being one of the issues though. I think early '07 was when diff coolers first appeared....(really just extension of tranny cooler)....I had a '87 Camaro which when you got on it it would hop like like a frog ....finally failed too. I was really young and dumb....post some pics when ya get it apart....hopefully GM will cover it....keeping fingers crossed....

I was on first apge and now I see pics....good luck....I also notice that Ranger said it should'nt be issue w/warranty...

Last edited by tim414; 10-20-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:27 PM
GtownC6Z
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
Not to hijack, figure this is adding value to the thread in case this is not covered under OPer's warranty. Are all C5 axles the same (part #60-1374) or did the z06s have a different unit and part number? Seems like the best luck short of ds shop axles are the c5s. Appreciate any feedback.

curious as well

Get notified of new replies

To Snapped axle on Runflats?

Old 10-30-2010, 01:13 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by tim414
with the part there was a little difficulty with '06 diffs. I am in NO WAY a expert but I have been watching and sorta 'tracking' Z06's since '07. I read allot about early '06's with heat build-up (I do not believe '6 had diff cooler-please correct me if I am wrong) which lead to failure. I don't really remember "hopping" as being one of the issues though. I think early '07 was when diff coolers first appeared....(really just extension of tranny cooler)....I had a '87 Camaro which when you got on it it would hop like like a frog ....finally failed too. I was really young and dumb....post some pics when ya get it apart....hopefully GM will cover it....keeping fingers crossed....

I was on first apge and now I see pics....good luck....I also notice that Ranger said it should'nt be issue w/warranty...
It is my understanding that the 2006 Z models did in fact have rear diff coolers, can anyone confirm this as a fact (one way or the other)?
Old 10-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

It is my understanding that the 2006 Z models did in fact have rear diff coolers, can anyone confirm this as a fact (one way or the other)?
C6Z06 has always had a differential cooler, including model year 2006.

Here is a long thread the chronicles the history of axle shaft issues in the C6Z...plenty of pictures along the way.

And here is a synopsis of the issue:

Originally Posted by Ranger
C6 Z06 Issues: Rear Axle Shaft

About 200 of the 6000+ 2006 Z06s delivered to owners experienced a failure of the CV joint housing cover, which is part of the rear axle assembly on each side of the differential. Almost all the failures had several elements in common. The failures
(1) occurred on the passenger side (right)
(2) occurred during launches or strong 1-2 shifts that involved wheel hop
(3) involved only the cover over the inner CV joint
(4) were covered under warranty

This diagram shows the axle shaft in context

This diagram shows the CV joint cover that was failing.

Post #69 on this long thread has pictures of the C6 axle shaft CV joint next to a C5 version.

In a concerted effort to eliminate the issue altogether, Chevy released a total of four different axle shafts with slight changes to the CV joint cover. By May 2006 a fourth shaft (this one carrying part #15891870) was being used as the replacement part and is believed to be on model year 2007 and later Z06s and Z51-M6. No breakage of this latest part has been reported on the Forum by stock or near stock cars.

The vast majority of 2006 Corvette owners did not experience this axle shaft issue; and those who did generally experienced the failure early in the car’s life on the streets. My Z06 does not have the latest axle shafts and yet they have been reliable through 78 passes at the drag strip. [Updated pass count is 236 without breakage.]

Finally, more detail on the issue can be found on the original thread that remained a sticky for 20 months and served as a collection point for failure reports and sharing of related information. C6Z06 Rear Axle Issues
Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 10-30-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:44 PM
383vett
Race Director

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
My understanding is that all c5 axles are the same. That was the case when I purchased my pair 2 years ago.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Snapped axle on Runflats?