Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] The Devil...and the details.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 04:39 AM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Default The Devil...and the details.

The Devil and the details.

So I had come to the end of my time with my C6. I usually keep my cars for five years at a time. My black 1999 C5 was purchased in January 1999. Five years later in January of 2004 I turned up at my dealership shopping for a C5 Z06. The dealer advised me not to buy it but to wait for the C6 due out in several months. Glad I listened.

I took delivery of my silver C6 in September of 2004. It was simply leagues beyond my C5 in so many ways. I loved it to pieces. It was an awesome car and I have many fond memories of its greatness.

In the fall of 2009 I began shopping for the silver C6’s replacement. As things would have it that search extended into this year when forum member Jas, aka the devil on my left shoulder, pointed me to an ad by legendary Forum dealer Wes Milby. Without putting too fine a point on it, the deal Wes publicly offered crushed the ads I had seen by all other Forum vendors. I made contact with Wes who was clearing out his inventory of unsold 2010 Vettes. In fairly short order we had a deal in place to take my silver C6 in trade on what will be the next leg of my now over a decade long Corvette experience.

A 2010 Jetstream Blue/black ZR1.

With the deal in place the vehicle was trailered to me. After much trial and tribulation by the poor delivery crew, which got an object lesson in why NYC is safely at the top of least friendly places to drive, the trailer arrived. I stared in apprehension and awe at the living legend sitting on the back of the trailer. I had errands to run at the time so I handed delivery off to the wife who brought them my 2005 C6 and ushered the 2010 ZR1 inside. The delivery crew wanted to run into NYC to see Ground Zero and do some touristy stuff so they left their trailer by us, now with my silver C6 strapped to the back, for a few hours.

I came back from running errands and finally got a good look at the car in the garage. I…LOVE…the…color. We never buy cars in the same color. Having had black and silver those two colors were non starters for the ZR1. Cyber Gray and Jetstream Blue were the only choices for me. Second, I don’t drive cars with chrome wheels. Just can’t stand them. Wes was kind enough to swap them for a set of comp grays. The blue perfectly matches the ZR1 badging, exposed surpercharger cover and, best of all, the giant brake calipers. The effect gives the car such a custom look that I just LOVE it. The grey wheels match so smoothly with the gray carbon ceramic brakes that the result is just awesome.

I went to where the trailer was with my silver car strapped down. I wandered around it feeling strangely guilty that I was there with the new car. My pampered C6 had to be wondering what it was doing strapped ignominiously to the back of this trailer. Early detailing appointment? No? What then? I sat and stared at her for a while thinking of all the great times we had. Then, I hugged her. Yes I did. And yes I talked to her and wished her well. Later, when I saw her advertised on Wes’ site I had to quickly hit the back button. She has never spent the night outside of a heated garage. I hope she finds a great home. I would like to think she laughed off my foolishness and was never so happy as to be surrounded by so many other Corvettes as at Wes’.

I haven’t driven a stick in a while. The last stick shift vehicle we owned was sold in 2003. I have briefly driven friends stick shift vehicles, two Porsches, one of which I stalled and the other I accidentally put into reverse while trying to pull away. So I was a bit worried about revisiting the stick shift arena. Predictably, I stalled it twice within five minutes. This was said to be nearly impossible to do as with so much torque the car should be virtually idiot proof. Well, as the saying goes, no point in idiot proofing something as nature will simply build better idiots. My wife, the one who actually taught me how to drive a stick many moons ago, wastes no time in making this point clear early and often.

She of course takes to the street in the car like a pro, not only not stalling but whipping through the gears like she had never stopped driving a stick. As we change cars and head back I promptly stall it again. I quickly restart (getting faster at that now) and try to catch up figuring she had not seen that. My phone rings immediately. “Stalled it again didn’t you? Pull over and let me drive back. You’re embarrassing me.” I assure her that I will do better and insist on driving back home. Five minutes later my phone rings again as the hulking Rover looms large in my rearview. “You’re still having trouble.” “No, I’m not.” “Don’t lie to me. Every time you shift, the car sways sideways because you’re nervous and doing it wrong.” This constructive criticism goes on with escalating degrees of specificity and color as I sink lower in my seat.

But I make it home and over the next week become a much better shifter. I finally stop stalling, though my launches are so slow that I have no chance of beating anything off the line. I stare in disbelief at Youtube flicks of stock ZR1 10-second dragstrip launches. How the hell…?!

I have been advised by both the experts and factory engineers to break the car in gently. I gather that in order to protect the transmission I have to keep to no greater than 4,000 rpm for the first 500 miles. This proves surprising easy to accomplish as the first time I approached 4,000 rpm the car made a sound (it apparently does this every time it crosses 3,000 rpm) that promptly sobered me right up. Don’t get me wrong, I love the sound. But it is a lot like saying the sound of the leopard growling at you on the other side of the fence is so cool. Then thinking of just how much cooler the sound would be if you only got a little closer.

Over the course of the first 2,000 miles I make a number of observations. Herewith:

1. The exterior design. I’ve said it many times and I will say it again. Those who say the ZR1 looks just like a regular C6 simply haven’t a clue. I owned a regular C6 for over five years. The car now in my garage doesn’t look much like that regular C6. Judging from the reactions of pedestrians and fellow motorists this is not a unique opinion. I have had more reaction to the car in the last two weeks than I have had with my silver C6 in the last two years. Shouted comments from pedestrians are common. Motorists stick their heads out the windows to voice their approval. Part of this I am sure is the car’s M&M bright blue paint. But most of it is the shocking width and aggressive stance of the car. When you walk around it you can really appreciate the menace in making it so much wider than the stock car. The aero kit visually lowers the car while the +1 wheels visually shrink the car’s body around it. The muscled look is so extreme that I have spent literally hours over the course of a month just walking around and staring at it in the garage. I love the exposed supercharger cover. It is like the S on Superman’s chest. Why would you cover that? The visual difference between the base C6 and this car is a lot like the difference between a Mercedes SL550 and the SL65 AMG Black Series. Or a base 911 and the monster GT2 RS. In short, the difference is profound.

The shape, evolved from the C5, is such a success that GM should honestly take a page from both Porsche and Bentley’s design books. Just as the successful exterior design of the 911 and now the 2012 Bentley GT have taken evolutionary, not revolutionary design directions so too should GM with the C7. They have done it with the C5 – C6, which is a large reason for that car’s success, and they should keep that in mind with the C7. The car’s exterior, like the 911 and GT, does not need wholesale reinvention. Like those marques the successul shape simply needs sculpting.

2. The interior. After five years with an early build 2005 C6 there is much to like in the 2010 ZR1. First is the steering wheel. I love that they finally have phone and audio controls on the wheel which is also visually much trimmer. More importantly, the horn buttons are now much easier to activate. Blowing the horn on my 2005 was next to impossible unless you put a boot to the horn. The leather wrapped dash and doors are definitely nicer as are some of the other trim upgrades to the interior. Bluetooth and iPod connectivity at last though the iPod interface could be better. What could be improved? While the new leather wrapped interior is visually nicer this does not completely extend to actual touch. I think this is because there is little to no padding behind the leather so it feels harder than it looks. I realize extra padding would probably have necessitated greater (read very expensive) actual airbag testing to make sure the passenger airbag in particular would deploy every time. I know the current extra leather package had to be designed with this need specifically in mind and that the team prioritizes safety on these issues. Perhaps the C7 then. And as I always say, look at Caravaggio’s interiors for additional tips. My pet peeves remain the partial power seats and steering column. I want full power for both and yes I know the additional motors would add a fair amount of weight. But I like the ease of adjusting both items between different drivers without having to resort to manual adjustment guesswork at any point.

3. Fuel use. If, as I would later discover, the car’s performance is the automotive equivalent of shock and awe then its fuel use evinces shock and dismay. The first time I drove it I thought the gauge was malfunctioning. I suppose it was not realistic at all to suppose that a more than 50% increase in power would not lead to this. And I will be the first one to tell you that if you buy a car like this and worry about gas mileage then you are the very definition of woefully ignorant. But it is still taking some getting used to. I could drive my C6 from NY – MD (200 miles) and then get most of the way back (certainly to NJ) on a single tank. The ZR1 will make the down leg on a single tank. But it will be on fumes before Delaware on the return leg.

4. Layout. Many are the critics who will say the Corvette should be mid-engined like whichever car of the moment they think is it. Mind you, these same critics have never and will never utter a single word against the similar front mid-engine layout in Ferrari’s seminal 599. Mind you, the 599’s layout is descended from the similar one in the 550 Maranello about which many praises were justly sung. It should be noted that the car the Maranello descended from, the Testarossa/512M was mid-engined and Ferrari switched from that to the current front mid-engined layout. Critics of the Corvette’s layout would also never speak ill of the rear-engined layout of Porsche’s iconic 911. A design which Porsche has honed over nearly 50 years to considerable heights today. But if it weren’t for double standards most magazine critics wouldn’t have any standards at all. The Corvette’s front mid-engined layout no more needs fixing than does the 599’s or the 911’s rear-engined layout. I hope the Corvette team does not try to “fix” something which not only isn’t broken but has served the marque in good stead for nearly 60 years.

5. Brakes. They’re OK. I know. You were expecting rapturous praise. Thing is, if like me you spend your time on public roads and really don’t track your car then the brakes feel like the typically strong, fade free brakes we have come to expect from all modern Vettes. I hear from the track rats that the brakes are absolutely phenomenal in that environment. As the consummate poser I wouldn’t know. They haul the car down pretty authoritatively from any speed but then, again, all Corvette brakes seem to do that.

6. Random thoughts. Don’t ever put your hand under any part of the car’s carbon fiber lower aero kit EVER if you can help it. If you must, be very careful. The underside of those bits fold to an edge that is literally as sharp as a razor blade. They really should put a folded molding over those edges. On the first night I had the car I went to put the car cover on. When I tried to wrap it over the splitter I got the back of my hand under it. I swear I thought for the first few seconds that I had severed a finger. The cut was so deep and carved out such a significant chunk from a right finger that it took it nearly two months to completely heal. It went practically to the bone. Feel gently under the lip of this splitter if you ever get a chance and want to see what I am talking about. In a similar vein, be careful getting out of the car that you do not step on the side sills. Advise your passengers of same too as that would be expensive. On a couple of occasions I have had the back of my sneaker caught by the sill after I stepped out.

7. Acceleration. Ah yes, that. I have owned a 1999 C5 with 345 hp. Certainly a fast car for its time. My 2005 C6 with 400 hp was even faster with similarly stellar handling. If I could describe the ZR1’s acceleration with a single word it would be…bizarre. Honestly the acceleration is so surreal that the experience parallels the stages of grief. First comes utter and unadulterated shock. This is quickly followed by disbelief. Then, as you try to look for familiar landmarks of speed, such as the relative position of traffic you just left behind, comes denial. You just don’t believe what you are seeing. I think back to all the prose I have read in the various magazines about this car. Car and Driver wrote that the car’s acceleration would be unfamiliar to anyone who hadn’t first saddled up a Tomahawk cruise missile. Like many, I had a good laugh at that. Not so funny now. Like a shark’s fin, this passage from Inside Line’s review of the car always swims into mind when I get on it: “This Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 can kill you quite completely dead. We mean like augured-in, test-pilot kind of beyond-recognition dead. It is capable of such stunning velocity in such a short distance that if things go wrong at even a fraction of its ultimate speed, it'll tear a ragged hole in just about whatever it encounters.” I’m going to need a bigger boat for sure.

8. Engineering. This takes a back seat to no one. Among the items ahead of the rest are a sophisticated hydroformed aluminum frame which the construction of which has generated extensive curiosity from Boeing Aerospace (See Corvette C6 by Phil Berg). Note that some of the ZR1’s competitors still utilize heavier steel frames. Among the best, note the extensive use of carbon fiber in the bodywork. This material needs no introduction. But just check its panel size use (roof, floor, hood, fenders and front/side aero kit) relative to the competition. Standard carbon ceramic brakes back when few were doing that. The ZR1’s inclusion of these brakes, shared with Ferrari’s fastest cars, pushed Ferrari to make them standard across the board the very next year after the ZR1 did it. They were formerly a $16,500 option on the 599 and a roughly $25,000 replacement part on the FXX/Enzo with which they are directly shared. Titanium and magnesium are also well represented in the car to good effect. The suspension system’s key components, the initial roadgoing application of which was developed by GM/Delphi, are now licensed for use by Ferrari (458 and 599), Audi (R8) and Porsche in other applications (engine mounts) pending final suspension development. Well done, GM. Well done. The car’s build quality is excellent and the marque’s reliability has been well documented since the debut of the C5 in 1997. My three Corvettes have easily been the most trouble free cars I have ever owned. Paint is excellent with the shade of blue drawing people everywhere seeming every time, even at night when I would have thought it would be much less noticeable.

9. Reaction. This honestly borders on the comic. Compared to just over five years of ownership of my base C6 I have never seen reaction like the ZR1 engenders. Whether it is the countless craned necks at stoplights, the lengthy gas station stops (or any other for that matter) where you field questions, the two guys in a Z4M who came alongside to give the “We’re not worthy sign,” the F430 driver who pulled alongside shook his head in disbelief then gave an enthusiastic thumbs up, the Gallardo going the other way which came to a nearly dead stop while the driver eyeballed the car to the cops who nod sagely when the car is alongside the reaction confirms what I have always said…this car looks significantly different from the standard car. I have lost count of the number of people on the highway who have pulled alongside and tried to either race it or simply asked to hear the exhaust. There is not one single time I have taken the car out where at least three people do not do something overt and specific regarding the car.

Probably the most amazing thing to me is how many kids know exactly what it is. Took one of my kids to a Little League game and so many of the 6 – 12-year-olds came running over to ask if that was what they thought it was. I didn’t even realize that age group really followed cars let alone that specifically.

Funniest comment so far, my mom. I had brought the car by to drop something off and she was outside gardening. I left to run an errand and then returned. She pulled me aside. “I thought you said the car was new?” “It is mom.” “Are you sure?” “Yes, why?” Well…it’s just…why is it so loud?” Mom, from I could till now you always make me laugh.

10. Sound. I have often heard people say of cars with great exhausts that you turn off the radio to hear it. Until now I had not really seen that in a car I owned. Now I know exactly what they mean. Third gear and 3,000 rpm. I do that a lot. Oh, my C5 had a great snarl under hard acceleration. My base C6 could sound the business under the same conditions. But this, this is simply feral. When this ride crosses 3,000 rpm its exhaust goes to a fangs out state of tune that you simply have to hear to believe. Man…just…man.

There is a lot more I could say about this car but in the interest of space I will stop here. If you have read this far, thank you. I honestly cannot say enough about this car. I do not see how they will top it. Every drive is an honor and a privilege and I am always grateful for the opportunity. In the two months that I have owned this car I have easily driven it more than I have my previous Vettes over the same time. I just can’t stop driving it. It’s one of the reasons I have not posted in a while. Just been driving. It has taken nearly two months to write this. I wanted to write only when I could really speak to the experience. It has been incredible. Fantastic. A car for the ages. Never in my life did I think I would own a car with a power output that exceeds that of the legendary McLaren F1. The power-to-weight ratio of an Enzo or Carrera GT. But here it is, in my garage, U.S. street legal and ready to go.

I know the peanut gallery will deem my post worthless without pictures. I took some when I was recently in MD and met up with Jason. But these pics are over 4 megs. each and they just won't upload to the Forum.

*grabs keys* Later.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:56 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by Bwright
The Devil and the details.

. But here it is, in my garage, U.S. street legal and ready to go.

I know the peanut gallery will deem my post worthless without pictures. I took some when I was recently in MD and met up with Jason. But these pics are over 4 megs. each and they just won't upload to the Forum.

*grabs keys* Later.
WOW! What a comprehensive review! Thanks for taking the time for all the details! Love Mom's comment on how loud it is! There is nothing like the sound of a ZR1!!!!!Congrats and enjoy the new Rocket!
PS_Try to resize the pics
Old 12-24-2010, 07:04 AM
mbzboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Better than

This post reads better than any magazine article I've read on the ZR1.

BRAVO!
Old 12-24-2010, 07:55 AM
DannyKing
Burning Brakes

Congrat on the ZR1 Great right up!!...i just read the first half, i will read the rest after lunch
Old 12-24-2010, 08:14 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Bwright
Glad to see you FINALLY got this posted, ya bum...

Here are a few photos that I took when Brian and I met for lunch last month: click here.

Merry Christmas.

jas
Old 12-24-2010, 08:27 AM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Spot on comments! I could not agree more about what a thrill it is to drive the ZR1. Just the trip to the Post Office to pick up the mail is an adventure. I particularly appreciated the fact that you had a chat and hug with your trade in. I have owned many small airplanes over the years and always have a hard time saying goodbye when upgrading. I think that the ZR1 may be the first car that I will feel that way about.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Metraman
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 44 Posts

Bwright you sure got it right great post
Old 12-24-2010, 08:48 AM
JBHunter
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

3 Thank Yous:

1. To you...your great write-up certainly expresses your satisfaction and enjoyment with this GREAT ZR1 car.

2. To Chevrolet for building such an all-around Supercar that quite alot of Corvette owners would be willing and able to buy...

3. To Wes Milby, and ALL THE REST of the Corvette Forum Dealers' Representatives that feel called here to make dreams come true...

I am simply amazed at the satisfaction, enjoyment, and performance that ZR1 owners derive and express to us all on this site. What an amazing car!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 09:37 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Congratulations!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bwright, without question or doubt the best post/ review on the ZR1 that I have ever read. I went from a Z06 to a ZR1 in sept. of this year and feel the exact same way you do.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:01 AM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You had me, then you lost me. My attention span is too short, sorry. Enjoy the new ride.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:45 AM
vara
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, you took the words right out of my mouth!!

Superbly written! You made me want to jump in my ZR LIKE RT NOW, and tear it up! But, unfortunately it's raining here in San Antonio on Christmas Eve and so the old beater tahoe will have to do. I NEVER drive my baby in the rain! That's a cardinal sin.

I got a kick out of how your wife scolded you on your driving..too funny.

And I definitely agree with you on how many peeps just have to stop and stare. I have done many walkarounds on my vette in public parking lots and both younger and older generations are always in awe!! (yea, I'm an heir to our family's Chevy store). I always enjoy doing it. It's great PR for our business.

Now I think I will add to my collection and look to a 2011 Z07 and mod it and have fun with it!

Congratulations!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Hecks
Instructor

Default New Blue Rocket

Congratulations Bwright. Your review was very entertaining. I bought my 2010 white ZR 1 in March and I am just as pleased with my car as you are. I sold a Ferrari Scuderia when I bought my ZR 1 and I don't regret it (not that the Ferrari wasn't awesome because it is). Furthermore, I find it is really amazing how many people of all ages and walks of life recognize this car. Poeple will probably say I am full of it when I say that it gets more comments then the Ferrari did, but it is true. And the performance, well, that is as you put it, pretty surreal for a stock street car. Enjoy man, and welcome to the club.

Hecks
Old 12-24-2010, 12:45 PM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I really enjoyed this....definitely a good read!

Ian
Old 12-24-2010, 01:18 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Excellent write-up! Really makes me want to trade my '08 C6 in on a ZR1 with the great prices out there. Merry Christmas all!
Old 12-24-2010, 02:22 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Excellent summary. It very accurately describes the ZR.

I've had numerous cars that after a few months became mundane/routine. I've had my ZR for almost a year, and still when I get in it and drive it, before the trip is done, I think to myself, what a great machine.

The ZR is the complete package.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:26 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you write professionally? We also need a pic of your wife in the car!

Get notified of new replies

To The Devil...and the details.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:57 PM
attilas
Instructor

Awesome write-up. Can you tell me if Wes Milby is the contact name or is it the vendor name? I could not spot him on the vendor list.

THX
Old 12-24-2010, 03:00 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by attilas
Awesome write-up. Can you tell me if Wes Milby is the contact name or is it the vendor name? I could not spot him on the vendor list.

THX

It's Wes Milby at Reliable Chevrolet.

Forum Vendor.

By the way, I bought my ZR from Wes also, and can attest to fact he's a stand up guy. Would definitely do business with him again.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:11 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
We also need a pic of your wife in the car!
Really. Unnecessary. Have a bit of class, eh?

jas

Quick Reply: [ZR1] The Devil...and the details.