Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My RPI Designs ZR1 Rear Spoiler Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 PM
SziTech
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My RPI Designs ZR1 Rear Spoiler Review

Thanks to Josh at RPI designs for a great product, speedy delivery, and quick response to all questions.

I took advantage of their Holiday Special and ordered on the 9th. Package arrived today, the 29th. 15 business days! That is quick for a piece that needed to be painted.

The spoiler was packed with the utmost of care; boards were taped to the spoiler itself which was then wrapped in foam sheeting. The box was stuffed with paper and even had pieces of Masonite taped to it for protection.

And speaking of painting; the color is spot on perfect! And they say silver is hard to match. Not this time.

On attachment: I had intended to try and attach the spoiler with 3M tape. After looking at the construction, this will be impossible (without modification). The stem brackets that bolt the spoiler to the car are too far away and do not come in direct contact with the car body for tape contact. Ain’t gonna happen!

Whoever attached this thing with tape please step up and tell us how you did it.

More on the attachment once I install this beautiful accessory!

My only concern is the brake light hole. I am full confident that once the light is installed and the spoiler attached all will be well. However, we will have to wait and see how it goes.

Thanks again RPI Designs for a wonderful product at a reasonable price. Happy New Year!

More later…
Old 12-29-2010, 09:27 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mirror your thoughts exactly. I too wanted to use tape but ended up bolting mine on. Don't worry the brake light hole will be fine once the light is in there. Post pics once it's on.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:55 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

gotta bolt em down on the ends imho unless you have some special tape that is really thin and really sticky, otherwise there is too big of a gap
Old 12-29-2010, 10:12 PM
BMcD-Z06
Racer

I have had the same spoiler installed for way over a year and here are my tips for installation. Lay out the template they send you per the instructions. Take some old lipstick and rub it on the ends of the bolts on the spoiler. Get someone to help you and position it as best you can on top of the template. The lipstick will leave marks on the template that in my case did NOT line up with the template hole marks. I drilled on the lipstick marks and used a bit slightly larger than the one specified. Test fit your new spoiler and see if you like the position. The reason I used a slightly larger bit was as I tightened down the nuts the spoiler wanted to torque a bit. The slightly larger holes allowed the unit to move a bit and let me make minute adjustments as I tightened. Get yourself a small, ratcheting box end wrench to tighten the nuts. (10mm if the brain remembers) Good luck!!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Burnin4
Burning Brakes

^damn, someone owe's that man a beer
Old 12-29-2010, 11:59 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got mine from Josh today but no template Will contact Josh. That being said however I didn't want to drill my rear spoiler either. I was contemplating filling the spoiler with an expanding foam, allowing it to fill a small lip around the spoiler on the inside. I would then shave off the excess around the spoiler so that it is flush when installed on the bumper and then utilize a 2 sided tape to adhere the spoiler on the ends. I am going to see what tapes are available via my bodyshops and then start to verify how feasable this might be. If I proceed I will take pics and post in case it is of any use to anyone.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:53 AM
RPI Designs
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16 -'17

Originally Posted by Cdn Z06 Mike
I just got mine from Josh today but no template Will contact Josh. That being said however I didn't want to drill my rear spoiler either. I was contemplating filling the spoiler with an expanding foam, allowing it to fill a small lip around the spoiler on the inside. I would then shave off the excess around the spoiler so that it is flush when installed on the bumper and then utilize a 2 sided tape to adhere the spoiler on the ends. I am going to see what tapes are available via my bodyshops and then start to verify how feasable this might be. If I proceed I will take pics and post in case it is of any use to anyone.
We don't include templates. Simply take off your stock spoiler, this spoiler will bolt in the same 4 center bolt holes. Take lipstick and put a little on each of the 6 outer bolts. Press the spoiler down in place, lift it back up and the lipstick will mark where to drill the holes.

Make sure you drill the holes 1/8" larger diameter than needed, this will allow the spoiler move enough to sit flat. If properly installed these will sit very flat. I have one on my 2010 Grand Sport.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:55 AM
RPI Designs

Originally Posted by dvandentop
gotta bolt em down on the ends imho unless you have some special tape that is really thin and really sticky, otherwise there is too big of a gap
That's right, we really suggest you bolt it down.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 AM
RPI Designs

We've got them available here: http://rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1406

Make sure to enter coupon code SS2007 at checkout for 10% off your order, bringing the delivered price to $399.

Last edited by RPI Designs; 01-26-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:56 AM
hawgmn
Intermediate

I purchased my spoiler today and can't wait to get it. I have read a lot of recommendations for the installation and will definitely be using them.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:27 AM
RPI Designs

Originally Posted by hawgmn
I purchased my spoiler today and can't wait to get it. I have read a lot of recommendations for the installation and will definitely be using them.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 PM
RPI Designs

Anyone else with pics?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:26 PM
fivefingerdeathpunch
Drifting

Here's two
Attached Images   
Old 02-10-2011, 11:22 AM
RPI Designs

Great pictures, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I ordered my ZR1 spoiler from Josh last year. The paint match was perfect. I did not use a template. (It is basically a waste of time). I masked off the area first.

Remove the high mounted brake light from the OEM spoiler and install it into the new ZR1 spoiler. Then, I used the lipstick method. Use the 4 OEM holes in the middle to align everything and a dab of lipstick on the ends of the new studs will leave clearly visable marks on the car. The tail cap is soft urethane plastic, so I used a cordless drill to drill the new holes. You will need a Torx screwdriver to remove the taillights in order to access the nuts that go on the underside of the studs. Do not tighten too much as these are fragile parts. Remember to reconnect the high mounted brake light wire before you reinstall the tail lights.

I debated using double sticky tape. The problem is the spoiler moves around on the car and it will rub the paint and leave marks anyway, so there is no way to just reinstall the OEM spoiler. The installation is permanant and I wanted the new spoiler to fit flat on the tailcap with the proper alignment with the rear lip. The best way to do this is to bolt it on as the nuts will pull the spoiler down into place.

The entire installation can be done in less than 30 min.

Last edited by Vito.A; 02-10-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:19 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vito.A

The entire installation can be done in less than 30 min.
Wow! Thats impressive. It took me an easy 20 -30 minutes just to remove all four tail lights and the rear spoiler.

Good Job
Old 02-11-2011, 04:01 AM
supercoolsix
Burning Brakes

anyone with a Carbon Fiber ZR1 spoiler ??

Get notified of new replies

To My RPI Designs ZR1 Rear Spoiler Review

Old 02-20-2014, 09:59 PM
dileonardog
Advanced

I had no problem installing mine until I had to lift the back and push down on that skinny bowed out piece under the third light.The piece cracked and broke right in the middle .I sanded the two pieces,added some silicone caulking and ran a piece of color matching pinstripping under the third light to cover the crack.Don was very pleasant to deal with offering a discount on my next order.Unfortunately,the discount is not substantial enough considering I have a cracked zr1 spoiler bolted on my vette.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:58 PM
10thumper
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dileonardog
I had no problem installing mine until I had to lift the back and push down on that skinny bowed out piece under the third light.The piece cracked and broke right in the middle .I sanded the two pieces,added some silicone caulking and ran a piece of color matching pinstripping under the third light to cover the crack.Don was very pleasant to deal with offering a discount on my next order.Unfortunately,the discount is not substantial enough considering I have a cracked zr1 spoiler bolted on my vette.

Sorry to bring up such an old thread...

So, was the crack due to how you installed it or would you consider it a weak point in the design?

To others, how has this product held up? I'm looking to add a ZR1 spoiler to my GS but I'm debating this vs. OEM. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
wideglideleon (01-11-2020)
Old 06-13-2017, 05:48 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

I have had a RPI spoiler in the color silver for a couple of years. Color match was good, fit was good. I had a body shop put my spoiler on, tho.

Quick Reply: [Z06] My RPI Designs ZR1 Rear Spoiler Review