Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Locked my keys in the car, battery dead!

Old 12-30-2010, 11:23 AM
show723
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Locked my keys in the car, battery dead!

I stored my car for the winter and I usually start it once a week, but I was so busy that I didn't have a chance to and as I was about to put the battery tenderizer on today and I went to open the car, the battery is completely dead and my key fob is in the car with the key, too!!! Is there any other way of getting into the car without buying a new key and key fob?
Old 12-30-2010, 11:26 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

is that your only key? I'm pretty sure there's a way to get the hatch open and pull a release cord to open a door, but this probably requires a key.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:39 AM
SearayC5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its your only key and your lockout key for the hatch release is inside the car, then you will have to give your VIN to the dealership and have them make you another lock out key.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:53 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Jack the car up and hook up a battery charger to the battery cable on the starter and a nearby ground...proceed as usual.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:52 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Jack the car up and hook up a battery charger to the battery cable on the starter and a nearby ground...proceed as usual.
He said his FOB is locked in the car. If he dosen't have the FOB in hand, how is he going to get the door to open, even with a charged battery?
Old 12-30-2010, 12:56 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by show723
I stored my car for the winter and I usually start it once a week, but I was so busy that I didn't have a chance to and as I was about to put the battery tenderizer on today and I went to open the car, the battery is completely dead and my key fob is in the car with the key, too!!! Is there any other way of getting into the car without buying a new key and key fob?
Not to jump on your case, but this subject has been discussed a hundred times. When you do gain entry to your car, go to your nearest locksmith shop and have him cut you a couple of spare keys using a Saturn B-106 blank(no thick plastic handle) and slip one in your wallet and hide the other key on(under) the car.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It may work, since the Fob's actually present depending on the door lock option setting's. Certainly worth a try. Next time you're storing the car and required to have entry availible, plug the key into the rear license plate access lock outside the car.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:19 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

This is a bit off topic, but you mentioned that you store your car for the winter but start it every week. Unless you are able to drive the car to get the oil up to operating temperature, you are doing more harm than good. By not getting the oil up to operating temp, it doesn't burn off the water condensation. Also, cold starts are pretty hard on the engine after it has been sitting. If you can't drive the car, it is recommended to just let it sit for the winter and not start it until you can drive it.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:30 PM
00transamnh
Instructor

You didnt start your car for two weeks and the battery is dead!? WTF is up with that? I used to leave my TA for 6 months and she ALWAYS fired right up in the spring.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:07 PM
jeffreystar
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 9 Posts

Speaking of.... my battery is the OEM unit and it really struggled to start the Z06 a few nights ago, I'm going to go buy a new one shortly.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:12 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Where is the other fob/key for the car? You were given 2 fob/keys when you purchased the car?
Old 12-30-2010, 06:38 PM
96LT1Conn
Instructor

Originally Posted by 00transamnh
You didnt start your car for two weeks and the battery is dead!? WTF is up with that? I used to leave my TA for 6 months and she ALWAYS fired right up in the spring.
A TA is not a C6 Z06. Search around the forum, it is not uncommon at all for Z batteries to go dead after 7-10 days in the summer, let alone 2 weeks in cold winter weather. These cars have lots of electronic options draining on the battery, even when sitting idle.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:47 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by haljensen
Where is the other fob/key for the car? You were given 2 fob/keys when you purchased the car?
?????
Old 12-31-2010, 04:40 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by show723
I love that! I have read on here before that if you have sufficient paperwork/ID on car ownership and go to a dealer they can cut a key for you. With that you can open the hatch, pull the release, and open the door. Even better if you bought the car from a local dealer and they know you.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:00 AM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by foremaw
I love that! I have read on here before that if you have sufficient paperwork/ID on car ownership and go to a dealer they can cut a key for you. With that you can open the hatch, pull the release, and open the door. Even better if you bought the car from a local dealer and they know you.
Don't these cars come with road side assistance?
Old 12-31-2010, 10:36 AM
BartManStl
Racer

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
This is a bit off topic, but you mentioned that you store your car for the winter but start it every week. Unless you are able to drive the car to get the oil up to operating temperature, you are doing more harm than good. By not getting the oil up to operating temp, it doesn't burn off the water condensation. Also, cold starts are pretty hard on the engine after it has been sitting. If you can't drive the car, it is recommended to just let it sit for the winter and not start it until you can drive it.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:50 AM
DAKING
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

kool ! i like it !

Get notified of new replies

To Locked my keys in the car, battery dead!

Old 12-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreystar
Speaking of.... my battery is the OEM unit and it really struggled to start the Z06 a few nights ago, I'm going to go buy a new one shortly.
My original factory battery went dead for the first time about 3 weeks ago. It had sat for about 2 weeks since my last drive but that had never been a problem before. I started doing research on replacement batteries and my local dealership said it would be replaced under warranty if the battery tested as being bad. I wanted to know if the battery could hold a charge so I trickle charged it overnight. It's been fine ever since (been on several drives) and it did have to sit for about 1 1/2 weeks due to crappy weather. So, you may want to try a trickle charge before you give up and buy a new one.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:42 AM
The BreeZe
Instructor

Have a locksmith come and open the rear hatch from the key cylinder above the license plate.

Charge your battery, then remove the negative cable from the battery post and make sure it is isolated from the terminal so it won't make contack (wrap it in plastic).

PUT THE FOB WITH KEY in your pocket and close the lid until spring.

When spring arrives, open the back lid with your key, attach negative cable to battery post, open car door with your fob and enjoy the summer.

The BreeZe
Old 12-31-2010, 11:45 AM
show723
Racer

Ok, lots of questions to answer. First of all, I did not buy this new, it has a salvaged title and I picked it up for about 1/3 of the price and when I bought it, it only came with one key. Second of all, I know this has been discussed 100x over, but I really didn't have enough time/patience to do searches to find the answer I was looking for. Third of all, my lockout key is IN the car, I've already talked to my nearest dealer and he said that it would be an $8 key to cut, so that's not a problem. Fourth of all, my car is a 2007 and that battery is going on it's 4th year of use and with the way C6's drain batteries, it's not uncommon at all with that old of a battery in frigid NY winter weather. And lastly, I usually start it every week and let it run up to operating temperature. But I only did that because I didn't have the trickle charger on yet. I did it more to charge the battery, than to rid the tank of condensation. But, you're right, I should just leave it for the winter, I also think it's my own impatience, wanting it to be summer already!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Locked my keys in the car, battery dead!