Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Extended Warranty is it worth it ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:56 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

In some cases extended warranties are good, but I would suggest never to buy an extended warranty on a new car. I purchased one when I bought my 2008 Z and a year and a half later the car was totaled and I could only get 1/2 of what I paid. I got to thinking, while the bumper to bumper warranty is in effect the extended warranty is not used. If I were to ever buy another extended warranty it would be right before the bumper to bumper expired.

JMHO
Old 03-21-2013, 04:39 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I also have used Dennis for my extended warranty....I sleep a lot better at night and well worth it...IMO...
Old 03-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Two years ago I purchased a 7 year 56K mile no deductible major guard plan for my Z06. I paid ~$2500 for the plan. So far it has picked up the cost of replacing a wheel bearing, the nav radio, 2 upper front control arms, installing a new seal in the oil tank because the tube in the tank was rattling, and a new master cylinder. The Nav Radio, oil tank and master cylinder came to ~$1900 and the other items put the amount above $2500 so I have already recovered my initial investment and have 5 years left on the plan. If I had just purchased parts and did all the work myself I would still be close to $2000 in parts cost so it still looks like a good investment.

Bill
Old 03-21-2013, 05:53 PM
clogan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not one to buy extended warranties - on anything. However, on this 'Vette, I perhaps should have bought one. My basic expired back in 2009, and I passed on the opportuniuty to buy extended. Then my valve guides crapped out. I might feel totally different about the crap heads if the repair had been on GM's dime. OTOH, the cost of the extension would perhaps have been greater than the cost of head repair. So after some reflection, I suppose I am happy I did not opt for the extended. Time will prove me wise or not.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:54 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by clogan
I am not one to buy extended warranties - on anything. However, on this 'Vette, I perhaps should have bought one. My basic expired back in 2009, and I passed on the opportuniuty to buy extended. Then my valve guides crapped out. I might feel totally different about the crap heads if the repair had been on GM's dime. OTOH, the cost of the extension would perhaps have been greater than the cost of head repair. So after some reflection, I suppose I am happy I did not opt for the extended. Time will prove me wise or not.
Exactly.

The extended would have cost you just as much, if not more, and you would have gotten a "new" set of heads, just like your old set which had shot guides in them after just a few thousand miles. Replacing one inferior set of cylinder heads with another set of the same.

That's fine if you aren't planning on keeping the car for any length of time.

But ask yourself which set of heads you would want on your car right now. Yours which you have on currently, or a new stock set?

Well, if they are "giving them away", then a new stock set. Especially if my plan is to sell or trade in the the car in a couple of years. I wouldn't care how much more inferior the "new" stock heads are vs the built heads I just bought. Because I'd just need them to last long enough not to fail during my ownership of the car.

I see people getting new stock heads, but the fact that they are "free" has a lot to do with it.

First off, they are not "new". You just get new castings with new stock guides in them. They still use your old valves and springs.

Secondly, this is a great deal getting a "free" set of heads, acts as a "bridge" or a "bandaid" until you decided to get rid of the car.

If that is going to be imminent, well then you make out great.

The car won't (or I should say, "probably won't) pop on you, and you just got a bit more time, and on GM's dime.

But I wouldn't trust a set of "new" stock heads, with my old parts in them, any farther than I could throw them, if I were planning on keeping the car for an extended period of time. Say 5 more years, or longer.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-21-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:26 PM
TapOut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved my extended "Aftermarket" warranty so much that I actually just purchased it AGAIN as soon as it ran out. Now I'm covered bumper to bumper until the end of 2016 or 89k miles.

It's actually saved my *** already more than once. Brand new tranny being the largest one.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:02 PM
jwebsta32
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first question I asked when I bought my 08 in January was, can I get an extended warranty and how much? So glad I bought mine.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

These cars can be expensive to fix when they break, especially electronic parts. I think a GMPP is a smart move.
Consider adding at right before the 3yr/36K mi. portion of the warranty expires.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:42 PM
y2kvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '08 z06 and bought a GMPP Major Guard at end of the b2b. I'm covered for 7 more years and an additional 56,000 miles with a zero deductible. So this will cost me $.04 a mile or $332.14 a year. So my car will be 10 years old or have 69,055 miles when this GMPP warranty expires. I might sell my car in 2017 as my car will be 9 years old by then and offer the next owner the remainder of the warranty (miles/time). ($50.00 transfer fee)
Its a selling point and there will be value to the end. Actually most of value will be in the later years. You need to look to the future. I have used the GMPP for a few little things already. Would I be a sucker again? Yes. I will enjoy my car more knowing I have a GMPP. All the things not covered under GMPP I'll fix myself.

I'm close to 24,000 miles now and I'm not sure I would own this car without a GMPP. When/If I sell this car I will re-collect what I paid for the GMPP. no loss to me

Notice I didn't say anything about the engine? lol What happens happens....

Just my .04

Last edited by y2kvette; 03-22-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 PM
KABAL182
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Like others have said these cars are expensive to fix.I have been reading all the head failure and valve wear post for the last 2 hour. "Im thinking of getting a 427 vert" I wouldn't spend 45k to 55k on a used car with no warranty.I firmly believe its worth the piece of mind and down the road.
Plus makes your car much more sellable when paired next to a similar car. Who would choose the car that was not warranted for a few bucks more.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
My impression is that with an extended warranty they will find all sorts of ways to get out of a major expense. I recall reading such stories in this forum over the years.
Not my experience with a GMPP policy.

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
... but GMPP is rock solid.
I've had two and never anything denied

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Dealers seem to welcome working with GMPP. One thing I have learned is that GMPP does not pay for diagnostic services if no faults are found. That is on your nickel. However, over a period of 10 years on my two C5s they picked up the cost of replacing a C5 side mirror, a power seat track, a bunch of wheel bearings, tie rods, several power steering pumps, a power steering rack or two, a C5Z EBCM and BPMV all at a cost to them of much more than I paid for the two separate plans I had. Lets put it this way, I paid a total of $2500 for plans to cover my 97 followed by my 03. The ABS repair on the 03 cost them right around $3000. Of course I do use my cars a little harder than the guy who just putt putts around on the street.

Bill
Similar situation here...except I never paid for the policy...I ask GM to provide one when they were replacing my 1st engine @ 4k miles. They didn't even blink, just said here you go.

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Another sweet deal regarding the GMPP warranty is that ANY repair shop can perform the work...your car does not need to go to a GM dealership for the repairs to be executed.
I use a local Corvette centric speedshop in Tempe, AZ for my warranty repairs as of late..knowing that my car will be kept inside of the shop at all times during the repair period and my friendship with the owner who is also a C6 Z06 owner.
Yes, but the GMPP adjuster has to "approve" the repair, even at a dealer...I think they are more likely to approve at a GM dealer...IMHO

Originally Posted by wolf8218
They're called "extended warranties" but what they really are is an INSURANCE POLICY.
Yes, they are not GM warranties.

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
In some cases extended warranties are good, but I would suggest never to buy an extended warranty on a new car. JMHO
you may pay a little more buying it just before the factory warranty runs out, but a lot of stuff can happen in your 1st 36 months.

Originally Posted by clogan
I am not one to buy extended warranties - on anything. However, on this 'Vette, I perhaps should have bought one.
Yeah, I've never bought one on my other cars. 2003, 2011 Avalanche, 2009 CTS...Vette is different...on my 2001 C5 and 2006 C6 Z06 it got a lot of use in years 4-6.

It's been nice not wreching on my car over the last 6 years, but now that it is out of the extended warranty...
Old 03-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

All modern cars are expensive to fix. Simple repairs not involved with the drive train can very expensive due to parts costs. Look at what any replacement electronic module will cost you (up to $1200 for something you can hold in one hand) and then look at the difficulty in diagnosing what is wrong without the $4K scanner required by all makes. Replacing the wrong module can cost a lot of money. Two bad calls and you could have paid the dealer out of your pocket to repair the car.

Even Toyota the so called icon of reliability has a 3 year dependability rating just short of 2 repairs per car. GM's 3 year dependability rating is just above 2 repairs per car. Very little difference between them. Figure that you average 2 repairs per year for the next 5 years (that is optimistic because the number of failures will probably increase slightly over the period). If you do the repairs yourself parts cost alone will make buying a service plan worth it.

Bill
Old 03-23-2013, 10:37 AM
tractorguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriotZ
I also have used Dennis for my extended warranty....I sleep a lot better at night and well worth it...IMO...
Same here. Dennis got me a Vehicle 1 for my 09 ZO6 as my 3/36 had expired. I traded it on a 13 a few months later. I figured I would have to eat the warranty on the 09, but he got me a full refund. I rolled it right in to the full meal 7/84 GMPP for the same money and sleep like a baby.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Scott Essman
Cruising

http://www.nationalrepairsolutions.c...ty-quote/c1cn4 covered my Corvette for another 100,000 miles and the payment was reasonable.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (01-31-2016)
Old 08-05-2014, 04:37 PM
RobsVette04
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by TapOut
I loved my extended "Aftermarket" warranty so much that I actually just purchased it AGAIN as soon as it ran out. Now I'm covered bumper to bumper until the end of 2016 or 89k miles.

It's actually saved my *** already more than once. Brand new tranny being the largest one.
Who did you get an aftermarket warranty from?
Old 08-05-2014, 10:19 PM
dp201
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I purchased a four year aftermarket warranty with my 08z in May of 12. Actually purchased it from a Chevy dealer with 6500 miles, the salesman couldn't answer my question why they weren't offering me the GMPP. Went ahead and got it anyway, $1200 for a four year Platinum Plan. After two years, I've had about $2100 in repairs and no hassles from them about payment. Has more than paid for itself so far, but I do worry about no hassle coverage for something as extensive as a dropped valve/blown engine.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:29 PM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I bought my 07z from a big chain Lithia dealership back in 2012. I purchased a 3 year 36,000 mile extended warranty through them for about $1700. This past December I got the service fuel system message and my fuel gauge had went to 0. Also my 2nd gear had been grinding for a few months so I took the car to the nearest Lithia Chevy dealership. The warranty covered everything, dealer completely rebuilt the transmission, dropped the fuel tanks and replaced the failed passenger transfer pump. All I owed them was my $200 deductible. The bill came out to about $5000.

Get notified of new replies

To Extended Warranty is it worth it ?

Old 08-06-2014, 03:56 PM
devojrx7
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My GMPP is about to pay to rebuild my tranny. I've only put about 20k on my car and have the warranty to 75k. I'm really glad I got it.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:53 PM
Scott Essman
Cruising

Default Z06 Extended Warranty

I bought the warranty on my Z06 and the transmission went out, that alone paid for it's self. I have it on my Acura TL and my Honda Odyessy van as well. The Acura I have replaced a axle which is half of the price of the warranty. The Odyssey sliding doors broke and that paid for my warranty. I went a broke like National Repair Solutions they are on direct pay with all the GM dealership nationwide. They are broker so all the policies are the same ones done at the dealership except the dealership usually only offers one warranty. This place sells for 6 different administrators and they are all re-insured by an insurance company. I did a lot of research on warranties about 6 years ago and the things you need to look for is the limits of liability (how much it pays out in money), how much the deductible is, what it covers, additional benefits, exclusions in contract, state regulations. It sounds like a lot to look into but a broker already has this information and just like car insurance they can get you the best coverage for the cheapest price. I'm not against warranties at all as long as you do your research. I have purchase the three warranties from National Repair Solutions, so hope that helps!

Scott E.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:22 AM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

NOPE, waste of money.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Extended Warranty is it worth it ?