Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] WANT to run E85, or CURRENTLY running it, please read this…

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:25 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Default WANT to run E85, or CURRENTLY running it, please read this…

There is no secret, when tuned correctly and with properly sized injectors (when/if needed), E85 can help your machine make great power.

However, during the winter months, the same E85 found at the pump goes through a minor transformation: the blend changes from E85 to E70; this winter blend helps most vehicles during low ambient temp cold starts. A good tune [experienced E85 tuner] can tune the vehicle with cold starts no matter the temps running E70 or E85.

Obtaining maximum power on E70 during the winter months can be a challenge for high CR N/A and FI cars due to the lower octane, which often necessitates the need of tuning for lower spark and/or implementing a more aggressive spark KR retardation. Not all is lost amigos, if you “must” have ALL maximum power from your E85 breathing mill during the winter then you can offset this a few ways.

One, mix your E70 winter gas with a can of torco [shown below] whenever you fill up. For the most part, this practice helps you maintain your E85 spark settings during the winter months. And yes, you can also mix torco with E85 during the summer, which can yield greater torque gains due to more spark timing especially on the bottom end.

Two, this is not the best practical form but it will yield the greatest gains, buying a drum of E90. Typical cost is between $298 and $349 for a 55 gallons drum, which can be poured right into your tank. The beauty of this option is, you can either opt for the 114oct or the 118oct for the same price. High boosted and high CR N/A (13.5 or more) loves the 118 options. What makes this fuel so fantastic is the mixture: straight Ethanol with C16 racing fuel vs. E85: Ethanol mixed with 87oct. Note: this option can be used ALL year long!

Three, this is the easiest option but not as power rewarding as the two above: swapping your TR6 plugs for cooler units such as the TR7 units shown on the right below. This practice enables you to pretty much run your summer E85 spark settings. Note: due to the stifling Texas heat, I often find myself running the TR7 plugs during the summer to help maintain my CC as cool as possible.

If you are not sure as to the level of ethanol percentage sold at your local E85 pumps then use the little nifty E85 tester (shown below) and test; it sells for $15.99 thru Jegs or many speed shops...visit link below. You simply add water up to the water line then E85 [ethanol fuel] to the fuel line and shake; let it set for a minute or so and wait for it to display your true Ethanol percentage breakdown. I personally tested four local stations and found the one closer to my home had the higher winter blend reading…E75 vs. E70 for the other three; not sure why.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Quick%20Fuel/7...0002/-1?CT=999

Hope this tid bit of information helps some of you who run and tune for E85.

Thanks,
Carlos
Attached Images    
Old 01-24-2011, 01:26 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

To answer some of the PM's

Some guys have been known to add around 5gal of E85 and fill the rest with 93oct; I am not sure how this works.

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 01-24-2011, 01:35 PM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am just running my car exactly the same way that I got it tuned at a few months back...do I need to do anything different or am I fine to leave it all alone and just be down on power until the E85 summer blend comes back?
Old 01-24-2011, 01:47 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by lane_change
I am just running my car exactly the same way that I got it tuned at a few months back...do I need to do anything different or am I fine to leave it all alone and just be down on power until the E85 summer blend comes back?
You'll be down slightly but can offset it with a can of torco with every fill up IF you want to get the very most during these next two months or so when E85 returns. Not sure if Houston falls in the same category as Dallas as far as winter blends. Get the tester and check out a couple of your E85 stations

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 01-26-2011, 03:18 PM
exz06ic
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job Carlos
Old 01-26-2011, 04:04 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Excellent info Carlos. Do you know if all locations switch to E70 in the winter. Out here in Phoenix we dont really need to worry about cold starts :-)
Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by phxcobra
Excellent info Carlos. Do you know if all locations switch to E70 in the winter. Out here in Phoenix we dont really need to worry about cold starts :-)

Thanks Mr. Phxcobra

Not sure about the Phoenix AZ area or even Houston Texas for that matter. That is why I purchased the little tester tube to be 100% sure and thus leaving the guessing game out

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 01-26-2011, 08:13 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by exz06ic
Nice job Carlos
Gracias vato

Carlos
Old 01-26-2011, 10:12 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Thanks Mr. Phxcobra

Not sure about the Phoenix AZ area or even Houston Texas for that matter. That is why I purchased the little tester tube to be 100% sure and thus leaving the guessing game out

Thanks,
Carlos
Coolio, when i finally get some new injectors from you and an E85 tune here, i'll get one of those testers and report back on the phx area E85 formulations.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:45 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Coolio, when i finally get some new injectors from you and an E85 tune here, i'll get one of those testers and report back on the phx area E85 formulations.
Okay...

Let me know if you need help with tuning

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 01-26-2011, 11:54 PM
GTABurnout
Racer

I have been running E85 for months now And although this thread looks like a warning it is actually a forsale thread. The diffrence from E85 to E70 is not enough to cause any serious issues. Car may run a little richer but making a car knock on E85 is down right hard to do.

If your car has a safe tune in it for summer driving it will not have an issue with E70 blend.

But hey I am not selling anything so what do I know....
Old 01-27-2011, 09:06 AM
ajbarbato15
Racer

Originally Posted by GTABurnout
I have been running E85 for months now And although this thread looks like a warning it is actually a forsale thread. The diffrence from E85 to E70 is not enough to cause any serious issues. Car may run a little richer but making a car knock on E85 is down right hard to do.

If your car has a safe tune in it for summer driving it will not have an issue with E70 blend.

But hey I am not selling anything so what do I know....
People really need to lay off with the comments on this forum. All Carlos is doing here is providing the forum with some valuable information regarding fuel types and differences in e85 from winter to summer months. If he was trying to push his services, or maybe his products, then (MAYBE) this would be a "forsale" thread. But what the hell do you think he is trying to sell??? A JEGS fuel tester? New spark plugs? A drum of fuel that he cant even get for you? If you dont like the information provided, and you think your car is running great the way it is, then leave the tread alone. Let others get the information they want.

Anthony
Old 01-27-2011, 10:35 AM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Yeah I think Carlos is trying to make a killing selling spark plugs. Or maybe he has a refinery in his backyard we don't know about cranking out drums of e90 lol.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 AM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am sure he is selling Torco, but why wouldn't he? He is one of, if not the largest E85 promoters on the site. And if he has a product that helps his E85 clientele, why would he not offer that as a possible solution for those that don't have access to a 55 gallon drum of fuel to store in their garage. Our E85 in Houston was running at E65 last time it was tested which I thought was pretty crappy, but I will order an E85 tester and see what's up for myself.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:32 PM
ajbarbato15
Racer

Yeah I think Carlos is trying to make a killing selling spark plugs. Or maybe he has a refinery in his backyard we don't know about cranking out drums of e90 lol.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 PM
ajbarbato15
Racer

Originally Posted by lane_change
I am sure he is selling Torco, but why wouldn't he? He is one of, if not the largest E85 promoters on the site. And if he has a product that helps his E85 clientele, why would he not offer that as a possible solution for those that don't have access to a 55 gallon drum of fuel to store in their garage. Our E85 in Houston was running at E65 last time it was tested which I thought was pretty crappy, but I will order an E85 tester and see what's up for myself.
I agree completely. This post was in no way an effort to increase profit. I doubt Carlos really cares if you buy Torco from him anyway. He just tries to help people out on this forum, and give them good quality information that they may not get from anyone else. Look at all his posts/threads.

Anthony
Old 01-27-2011, 03:00 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Wow, Mr. GTABurnout figured me out

I recently gave up all my penny stock practices and purchased large stock options from Jegs, Torco USA and NGK. Please folks, run out and by products from these companies so I can finish paying off my Beachfront house in San Diego

On to the real matter: all I was trying to do is give what I thought was useful information to those who run E85 or perhaps to those who are thinking about running E85. People always ask me to dish out some of the secrets and/or findings, that was my full intention with this thread…now this fiasco

I don’t care if you run E100, the car will show knock if too much timing is infused into the tune. Just because your car does not knock it does not mean it is making the best safe power. More timing is not necessarily better for power and longevity; I often see cars make more power with less timing EVEN with E85!

Thanks,
Carlos

Get notified of new replies

To WANT to run E85, or CURRENTLY running it, please read this…

Old 01-27-2011, 04:13 PM
ajbarbato15
Racer

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
I recently gave up all my penny stock practices and purchased large stock options from Jegs, Torco USA and NGK. Please folks, run out and by products from these companies so I can finish paying off my Beachfront house in San Diego
Old 01-27-2011, 06:31 PM
06-Z0SICK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont see any ethanol around here but tell me what this means "Ethanol +Plus+ 89.5"
http://www.mrgasltd.ca/pages/products.html
Old 01-28-2011, 08:56 AM
ajbarbato15
Racer

Its just an 89 octane fuel, pretty sure its called PREMIUM at most stations. They are just calling it something different. Thats definitely not e85.

Anthony

Quick Reply: [Z06] WANT to run E85, or CURRENTLY running it, please read this…