Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another 2008 ZO6 won't start story

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 09:46 PM
ISLANDBOY2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another 2008 ZO6 won't start story

I have a 2008 ZO6, 38,208 miles bought in 11/21/2007. Push start button hear (1) click and dashboard is black. Press start button again, gauge hands does it sweep and dash lights up. Press start button again, goes click and dashboard is black. Bought new battery still same issue. Calling tow truck to tow to dealership. This is my third battery. When I hear several clicks usually a weak battery. But hear (1) click and dash goes black. What a pain corvettes can be!!! This must be one of many threads with electrical issues.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:01 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Have you tried charging it and see all your guess if there ok charge battery first also check for anything plugged in or lights being on, sounds stupid but start from there....how old is this battery.....
Old 05-21-2017, 10:35 PM
ISLANDBOY2
Instructor

Originally Posted by RamAir972003
Have you tried charging it and see all your guess if there ok charge battery first also check for anything plugged in or lights being on, sounds stupid but start from there....how old is this battery.....
Bought battery from Auto Zone on 5/19/17. Duralast GOLD 650 cranking power.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:56 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Check check fuses' also what's the charge on it right now
Old 05-22-2017, 12:26 PM
sp1tty
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you looked into a starter issue?
Old 05-22-2017, 12:39 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Sounds like the starter. We see a lot of them where the main power lead from the battery, going into the starter, will come loose internally and cause the same issue.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:47 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

My guess would be starter as well...that or you've got something that's putting a serious draw on the battery when the car is off.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:06 AM
BRISLS1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14,’19

Check the battery in the key fob?
Old 05-23-2017, 04:32 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

This same exact thing just happened to me @ the detailers. It was so frustrating. First the detailer tried to start it, and it tried to turn over but didn't. So we hooked up charges to jump start it, and every time we hit the start button the only thing that happened is all the dash lights would go out. I forget the exact series of things I did to make it start again, but it was something like this.

Press the accessories (bottom right of start button)
Press the off (bottom left of start button)
repeat.

Hit the start button and it started right up.

One thing I am finding is these damn cars have all kinds of electrical quirks, where you have to do a series of things to get it back to normal again. Had the issue with the window not rolling all the way down too, had to look up the series of things I had to do to get it to roll all the way back up, and one other issue I have right now is the interior lights staying on a very long time before shutting down.

Last edited by kbreese; 05-23-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:33 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by kbreese
This same exact thing just happened to me @ the detailers. It was so frustrating. First the detailer tried to start it, and it tried to turn over but didn't. So we hooked up charges to jump start it, and every time we hit the start button the only thing that happened is all the dash lights would go out. I forget the exact series of things I did to make it start again, but it was something like this.

Press the accessories (bottom right of start button)
Press the off (bottom left of start button)
repeat.

Hit the start button and it started right up.

One thing I am finding is these damn cars have all kinds of electrical quirks, where you have to do a series of things to get it back to normal again. Had the issue with the window not rolling all the way down too, had to look up the series of things I had to do to get it to roll all the way back up, and one other issue I have right now is the interior lights staying on a very long time before shutting down.
Not sure about the problem with windows not rolling all the way down, but the windows not rolling all the way back up will happen any time you disconnect the battery. You just need to reindex the windows so this is not a quirk.

As far as your interior lights staying on a long time, it sounds like you may have bumped the dimmer **** to the left of the steering wheel with your knee. That will turn on the interior lights. Try pushing the button again and see if that doesn't resolve that issue.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:40 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
Not sure about the problem with windows not rolling all the way down, but the windows not rolling all the way back up will happen any time you disconnect the battery. You just need to reindex the windows so this is not a quirk.

As far as your interior lights staying on a long time, it sounds like you may have bumped the dimmer **** to the left of the steering wheel with your knee. That will turn on the interior lights. Try pushing the button again and see if that doesn't resolve that issue.
Yeah sorry, meant rolling all the way back up. But to me it still is a quirk, as my mustang also has the same thing where after you shut the door it rolls up the rest of the way. Never had to reindex after disconnecting the battery.

the lights do eventually turn off, they just stay on for a very long time.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:18 AM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

Yeah sorry, meant rolling all the way back up. But to me it still is a quirk, as my mustang also has the same thing where after you shut the door it rolls up the rest of the way. Never had to reindex after disconnecting the battery.

the lights do eventually turn off, they just stay on for a very long time.
So have you tried pushing the dimmer button to see if the lights go off sooner? I believe if you push the button it will turn on the lights and leave them on for a longer period of time, similar to how your radio will stay on after you shut the car off. If you don't open the door, the radio will stay on for about 10 minutes before shutting off.

Last edited by dmuellenberg; 05-24-2017 at 10:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kbreese (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 12:19 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
So have you tried pushing the dimmer button to see if the lights go off sooner? I believe if you push the button it will turn on the lights and leave them on for a longer period of time, similar to how your radio will stay on after you shut the car off. If you don't open the door, the radio will stay on for about 10 minutes before shutting off.
Ok thanks for the advice. Will try it later.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:02 PM
ISLANDBOY2
Instructor

Ok thanks for the advice. Will try it later.
It is the start motor. They found a starter wire that was burnt. The replacement is going to cost because to remove the start motor they need to remove the exhaust headers.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:48 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ISLANDBOY2
It is the start motor. They found a starter wire that was burnt. The replacement is going to cost because to remove the start motor they need to remove the exhaust headers.
How did the wire get burnt?
Old 05-28-2017, 02:18 PM
ISLANDBOY2
Instructor

How did the wire get burnt?
More issues, found wire has been fused to the terminals, need to replace starter motor. Broke one of the bolts to the exhaust header. Looking at a $2000 estimate. What else can go wrong with these corvettes!! Car for the rich.

Get notified of new replies

To Another 2008 ZO6 won't start story

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another 2008 ZO6 won't start story