Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] NEW Vette-Air E85 Macho DYNO results…enter at your own risk!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:51 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
Looking good Carlos!!! You're making me want to go the E-85 route now. I will talk to you about it when I come get my cam done next month. I want to see that thing in person if it's there. What clutch are you running?

Chris
Cool Chris...

Please call me direct so I can share the scoop. Those who buy directly from me and WANT to step out of the box are privy to some serious information.

Case in point, I just spend a good hour on the phone talking to an old E85 customer of mine from OK as well who made 625rwhp back in the 80* to 85* weather all while his car was only pumping out like 11.7 volts. His battery was taking a crap and dying fast thus having us calling it quits. He is now sending me his FAST for porting and he may swap out for the newer widow and retune with or w/o the NW TB and with at least real E85 and not E70. If all goes well, I can easily see him picking up another 20 to 25rwhp or maybe more!

Thanks,
Carlos
(214) 491-8314...don't be shy, I don't bite
Old 02-04-2011, 11:58 AM
NHRA95
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is AMAZING, WOW!!! Awesome job!!!!
Wish your shop was closer.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:08 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by turbo raptor
when testing (beating) how is the fuel consumption.
Mr. Raptor,

I'll be honest with ya, I don't even pay one bit of attention to mpg during the testing stages.

If you can, imagine this: I literally sit back on the dyno and try different spark and fuel settings row by row in the RPM range; so fueling goes up and down and it takes me at least 2 hours to get the fuel right then I move to spark settings...attention to details is my game. People always sit back and drop jaw when they see my numbers or when they ride in the car but what they don't see is ALL the hard work and time spent to get there. The cool thing is, my customers reap all the benifits.

Back to your question, once that is set, I then repeat the same steps on the streets looking for KR and consistent AFR readings coupled with throttle response at stop lights rolls, cruise (low/mid/and high RPMS) and gear change transitions.

I like it when guys ride in my car and say: dayum, it feels so crips, responsive and yet smooth...that comes with lots of work. THEN once all that is done, I sit back and study mpg and if necessary, I lean out the low rpms settings enough to prevent lean codes but also just enough to promote better mpg and of course throttle feel and thus less gas smell at idle.

I hope this helps

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 02-04-2011, 12:13 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Good question on the ethanol blend.....I'm not sure if AZ changes or not because we really don't get really cold out here even during the winter months. I know of several non-Vette E85 users out here that have cold start issues which suggest AZ doesn't switch to E70.

One of the other participants this weekend ( a local speed shop) is bringing a drum of VP 109 for those who might require it. I don't know if Rudy has a handheld scanner or other tunes for racing gas.

We are expecting sub 40's for the early morning sessions, so it will be interesing to see how Evilness' starting manners will be.

Not sure if Rudy has an SCT or HPT software. Yes, VP109 would work but he may have to revisit his fuel settings along with spark to take full advantage.

If you don't mind, please keep us posted, I'm curious

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 02-04-2011, 12:19 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by lane_change
Amazing numbers Carlos...let me know when you plan to visit the track, I wouldn't mind meeting up with you to see how it does, get some tips, etc...and see what all this extra hp is all about. I'm getting anxious since I don't daily my Z any longer, time to unleash this dog.
For sure dude.

Track test is fully dependant on the weather. This freaking snow here in Dallas is driving me insane! I just left Chicago like three weeks ago and I swear it feels like I'm back there...it is snowing, YES snowing here in Dallas again!

Poor Jerry Jones, I'll bet his having a cow about now. This crappy weather gots to be putting a hurt on forecasted revenue stream.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 02-04-2011, 01:29 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Great job again Carlos. (very impressive results) Thanks for sharing with the community.

The Rookie
Old 02-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carlos, By the look's of the #'s your getting.I really need to change out the cam we put in a couple of yr's ago when I switch to E-85?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:07 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Luweegy
Carlos, By the look's of the #'s your getting.I really need to change out the cam we put in a couple of yr's ago when I switch to E-85?
I would say yes. That cam is now old and many cam changes for the better has taken place since 2008.

Along with the change, a good tuning would be nice as well.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 02-04-2011, 02:09 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
Great job again Carlos. (very impressive results) Thanks for sharing with the community.

The Rookie
Gracias amigo.

Carlos
The corn lover
Old 02-04-2011, 02:17 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Old 02-04-2011, 02:38 PM
BgBoost1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazing Results Carlos!!! Congratulations on being able to accomplish what many said could not be done!!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:10 PM
EVILNESS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Good question on the ethanol blend.....I'm not sure if AZ changes or not because we really don't get really cold out here even during the winter months. I know of several non-Vette E85 users out here that have cold start issues which suggest AZ doesn't switch to E70.

One of the other participants this weekend ( a local speed shop) is bringing a drum of VP 109 for those who might require it. I don't know if Rudy has a handheld scanner or other tunes for racing gas.

We are expecting sub 40's for the early morning sessions, so it will be interesing to see how Evilness' starting manners will be.
I have the cold start issue i also suspect we dont change from e85 to e70...
Old 02-04-2011, 03:59 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Evilness
I have the cold start issue i also suspect we dont change from e85 to e70...

News flash, the cold start up issue can be fixed with E85

Ask your tuner to add airflow to your startup airflow table in the colder rows and also add spark to your cranking spark table...this should fix it

Case in point, this past week, my car sat outside at HPP shop all day Tuesday from 10am to 7pm in the cold (temps at or below 23* F) while they worked on customers cars. That evening I arrived to help move cars in for the night and when it came time to move mine, I jokingly asked them to watch my ethanol gas cold start up; it started maybe 1 1/2 cycle longer than normal stock

So yes, it can be fixed!

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 02-04-2011, 09:09 PM
turbo raptor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Mr. Raptor,

I'll be honest with ya, I don't even pay one bit of attention to mpg during the testing stages.

If you can, imagine this: I literally sit back on the dyno and try different spark and fuel settings row by row in the RPM range; so fueling goes up and down and it takes me at least 2 hours to get the fuel right then I move to spark settings...attention to details is my game. People always sit back and drop jaw when they see my numbers or when they ride in the car but what they don't see is ALL the hard work and time spent to get there. The cool thing is, my customers reap all the benifits.

Back to your question, once that is set, I then repeat the same steps on the streets looking for KR and consistent AFR readings coupled with throttle response at stop lights rolls, cruise (low/mid/and high RPMS) and gear change transitions.

I like it when guys ride in my car and say: dayum, it feels so crips, responsive and yet smooth...that comes with lots of work. THEN once all that is done, I sit back and study mpg and if necessary, I lean out the low rpms settings enough to prevent lean codes but also just enough to promote better mpg and of course throttle feel and thus less gas smell at idle.

I hope this helps

Thanks,
Carlos
not really concerned with economy,but range on a full tank. in other words here in jersey the e85 is not readily available. the only station i know of is about 40 min from where i live and its not in the most friendly area. just say if i wanted to go for a 50 mile one way ride will one tank be enough
Old 02-04-2011, 10:07 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by turbo raptor
not really concerned with economy,but range on a full tank. in other words here in jersey the e85 is not readily available. the only station i know of is about 40 min from where i live and its not in the most friendly area. just say if i wanted to go for a 50 mile one way ride will one tank be enough
Well yeah a tank a gas will last more than 100 miles!!!

Dude, I usually get about 350 miles on 16 gallons or so of the good stuff and I don't drive 65

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 02-04-2011, 10:14 PM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got 290 on my tank from Dallas to Houston which was 100% highway going around 80mph. I think it averaged out to around 17-18mpg for that fill-up. Around town I am getting around 11mpg or so, a little under 200 miles on a full tank fill of 16-17 gallons.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:20 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by lane_change
I got 290 on my tank from Dallas to Houston which was 100% highway going around 80mph. I think it averaged out to around 17-18mpg for that fill-up. Around town I am getting around 11mpg or so, a little under 200 miles on a full tank fill of 16-17 gallons.
Your mpg can be improved, your car was set on super safe (more fuel).

Thanks,
Carlos

Get notified of new replies

To NEW Vette-Air E85 Macho DYNO results…enter at your own risk!!!

Old 02-04-2011, 10:27 PM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Your mpg can be improved, your car was set on super safe (more fuel).

Thanks,
Carlos
I know we have already spoken about adjusting my maps some next time I bring the car up, just letting him know that you can easily go on a 50 mile one way trip, even in super safe mode.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:13 AM
kutlow
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 135 Posts

Great Job! I have been watching your experiments for awhile. Can you please post a video of your car at idle. I would love to hear what that beast sounds like. A video drive by would be awesome too. Might generate you more business too. Once again great job.

What would you say you could get rwhp now with this new cam and 93 octane fuel instead of e85?

Last edited by kutlow; 02-05-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:06 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Fantastic results Carlito. Can you update your picture with the current Killer Bee pic or are you using the Johnnie O'Connell singed Killer Bee we sent a while back?

Just curious, since our flow numbers on the Killer Bee II and Super Bee exceed the Killer Bee 1st Generation unit.

Differences between the KB2 and KB1:

4.5" velocity stack flange vs. 4" flange
K&N 15" Halltech SuperBee Filter vs. S&B Halltech 14" Filter
Redesigned bridge to eliminate Eddie Current area on the KB1.
Larger 102mm outlet vs. 98mm outlet
3 HP gain on the Katech dyno vs. the KB1
Air fuel ratio leaner at WOT by .7 vs the KB1, which means zero tuning and bigger non tuned numbers with around 12.2:1 air fuel ratio.

Super Bee has a 1" larger plenum with more volume and fits the WP102 or WP105 TB without any modifications to the intake.
MAF forward design. Must have MAF transfer curve tables recalibrated.

Pictures please for our home page!

New record simply shatters the LPE former record with our intake.

Why would anyone install a Supercharger?

Jim Hall\\\\\\Simply Awesome!

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Quick Reply: [Z06] NEW Vette-Air E85 Macho DYNO results…enter at your own risk!!!