Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Buying either Mclaren, 458, ZR1 in May

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:51 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
That tends to happen with people who attempt to create value, satisfaction, and happiness out of material goods. They spend their whole life trying to fill that void with what amounts to junk at the end of the day and it doesn't work.

Enjoy your Jag, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, and whatever other 'junk' you have piled up in your garage. Hope that McLaren, 458, hyper hovercraft, etc. finally makes you content.
This thread reveals as much about human nature as automobiles. The commentary is interesting.

The Buddists have a saying which, I suspect, we both agree with. Happniness comes from relationships and pleasure from things. It is absolutely true that too many mistake and try to compensate with the latter in order to make up for a lack of the former.

I do have to admit that with each passing year and the ability to experiment with different "toys" the novelty of each toy wears off sooner and the fact I can buy something else is always tempting.

On the other hand and why I say the "commentary" is interesting is one person says "may" have reached "saturation", and you take it to the next step , at least giving me the impression, it must be true.

I have a very good time and love wife and children. I also have a couple of friends and the ablity to "choose" with whom and when I do whatever with. At the end of the day, I like discussing cars and "agonizing" over such "weighty matters" as whether to buy a Ferrari or McLaren.

Back to cars. Drove the Jag home and my first observation is missing the automatic door closing, standard on the BMW and Bentley. For those who like to degrade Ferrari's, it also lacks the "automatic" parking sensor in the front which must be "turned on" when in drive. Ferrari requires pressing a button also. Just thought we might talk some "car stuff" while at it. Best

Last edited by RBK; 03-31-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:37 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RBK
Drove the Jag home and my first observation is missing the automatic door closing, standard on the BMW and Bentley.
I totally agree. That's why my Driver does those menial tasks...
Old 04-01-2011, 12:28 AM
JR.
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have no dog in this fight but i understand both sides of the discussion.

i too participate in this forum to hear others perspectives and know that some things will be very contrary to my own beliefs. it's the lively art of discussion, the exchange of ideas and philosophies.

additionally, when someone knows more about something than i do, that i am interested in, i will listen to what he/she has to say. . there are some guys here that i respect and i don't respect very many people.

through fortunate and interesting circumstances, i have owned in the last year, a 997tt, F430, lambo murci and Gallardo spyder, audi R8 V8, AM Vanquish S, MB S65 and AMG SL, mcLaren SLR, RR Phantom, maybach 62 and oh yea, a ZR1. my friend wanted the ZR1 and i wanted one with launch control so it's in his garage now.

i am currently looking for a 2010 ZR1 (i only buy used cars) because honestly, it's was probably the most fun car out of all of them. (hey it's my opinion.. whatever floats your boat) i drove the ZR1 hard and wasn't worried it was going to break. (same with the porsche) i am a track day guy, both cars and motorcycles and am excited about driving a ZR1 on the race track. i am not a young guy but like to ride my track motorcycle up the front straight at road america at 175 mph indicated. it will go faster but i am afraid. .. (it does 150 mph in 3rd gear) and i like to drag my knee at 90mph. the ZR1 come close to that feeling for me when i nail the gas in second gear.

i am not saying that every one of the other cars wasn't cool and fun, but the ZR1 is special. to each his own.
honestly, after the Nissan GTR, the ZR1 is the BEST bang for your buck.

my point is that i like to drive/ride the most powerful vehicles that manufacturers bring to the market place.. and i am glad that they do.

before last summer's ZR1 purchase, i hadn't had a corvette for a LONG time. the ZR1 had everything that i wanted in that type of car and if i could only have 3 cars, the ZR1 would be one of them.. (go US) probably along with the MB S65 and MB AMG SL.

don't get me wrong, i expect to own a 458 and mcLaren in the future.
i am very comfortable in my own skin and do what makes ME happy. i have nothing to prove to anyone else. some of my best friends are NOT car guys and could give a crap about what's in my garage..
i own and drive these cars because they are fun and i enjoy them.

the only problem with all of this is that this car stuff is a sickness. i spend lots of time reading, researching and purchasing cars. my gf is a doc and her brother is also a doc who has done very well for himself. he is happy to have 5 camrys parked in his driveway. (no exotics or luxury cars)

i wish i could be like that and maybe i am getting closer. i knew before i owned all these cars that they were just transportation and material things. These cool automobiles didn't change who i was or how i lived my life. they were fun for me and the kids liked when i drove them to school. i live in a city with a ferrari store and lots of expensive automobiles, but at the end of the day, i was very happy to be tooling around in a used ZR1.

drive what you like and can afford and don't do it for anyone else.

aren't we lucky and fortunate to have such problems and the many options of great and FUN automobiles to choose from?

oh yea, i don't think we should take any of this internet stuff too seriously. after all it's not life and death priority.

p.s. i do want to try a cad CTS V and Jag XJ supersport sometime in the future.

Last edited by JR.; 04-01-2011 at 12:52 AM.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Buying either Mclaren, 458, ZR1 in May