Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] The Atlanta Dragway is Bush League

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 12:52 PM
DriftKing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The Atlanta Dragway is Bush League

I've been looking for some negative DA at the dragstrips around North GA since they started having their openers over the past several weeks. Today was the Atlanta Dragway test/tune opener, and they have been advertising a gate opening time of 9am with racing starting at 10:30 for several weeks. A couple days ago they updated the times on their site to 7:30am gate, 9am begin racing. I was very excited ... temps would be in the low 40s for the first hour or so resulting in around -200 DA (hard to come by in the South)!

So I get up at 6am, load up the cars, and make the 1.5 hour drive to the track, wife in tow. Beautiful, sunny day. Not a cloud in the sky.

Arrive at 8:30 and go to tech where they tell me 'We won't start racing till the temps get to at least 50, probably around 10:30, because of traction concerns???'

WTF????

What a crock of ****

'Georgia's House of Speed' is the slowest dragstrip in the state, and maybe the entire southeast. They're altitude is ~1000', which sucks. And they're also the only 1/4 mile strip in Georgia that will boot you for going faster than 11.5 without a cage. Now we know they're also such wussies they won't let you drag if it isn't hot outside.

If you're into drag racing, don't bother going to Commerce Georgia ... you can drive just as fast on I285.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:43 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftKing
I've been looking for some negative DA at the dragstrips around North GA since they started having their openers over the past several weeks. Today was the Atlanta Dragway test/tune opener, and they have been advertising a gate opening time of 9am with racing starting at 10:30 for several weeks. A couple days ago they updated the times on their site to 7:30am gate, 9am begin racing. I was very excited ... temps would be in the low 40s for the first hour or so resulting in around -200 DA (hard to come by in the South)!

So I get up at 6am, load up the cars, and make the 1.5 hour drive to the track, wife in tow. Beautiful, sunny day. Not a cloud in the sky.

Arrive at 8:30 and go to tech where they tell me 'We won't start racing till the temps get to at least 50, probably around 10:30, because of traction concerns???'

WTF????

What a crock of ****

'Georgia's House of Speed' is the slowest dragstrip in the state, and maybe the entire southeast. They're altitude is ~1000', which sucks. And they're also the only 1/4 mile strip in Georgia that will boot you for going faster than 11.5 without a cage. Now we know they're also such wussies they won't let you drag if it isn't hot outside.

If you're into drag racing, don't bother going to Commerce Georgia ... you can drive just as fast on I285.
At Infineon, drag racing doesn't happen unless the track reaches a temperature that the officials deem adequate for traction for obvious safety reasons. We have had races delayed in the past because of this reason. I don't think I need to say anything about an awful track that doesn't follow NHRA rules. To say a track is bush league because they are more concerned about your safety and the safety of others and not necessarily about your attempt at the land speed record is being immature and shortsighted. If that is your attitude, go race on the freeway. It's people like you that give drag racing a bad name.

Last edited by 383vett; 02-26-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:25 PM
DriftKing
Instructor

Originally Posted by 383vett
At Infineon, drag racing doesn't happen unless the track reaches a temperature that the officials deem adequate for traction for obvious safety reasons. We have had races delayed in the past because of this reason. I don't think I need to say anything about an awful track that doesn't follow NHRA rules. To say a track is bush league because they are more concerned about your safety and the safety of others and not necessarily about your attempt at the land speed record is being immature and shortsighted. If that is your attitude, go race on the freeway. It's people like you that give drag racing a bad name.
Almost all of the top 10 Fast List times in the bone stock, bone stock w-DR, and bolt-on only classes were accomplished in sub-50 temps. That's where the full potential of the car can be realized.

I guess you're one of the 5 NASCAR viewers left after restrictor plates and other 'safety' restrictions were mandated. Viewership has absolutely plummeted with that sport.

You probably still watch boxing too. Meanwhile the rest of the world is watching the real deal, raw, and extremely unsafe UFC.

There's nothing fun about mediocrity.

You've got it backwards, chief. It is people like you that give drag racing a bad name.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:38 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Old 02-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Commerce is probably one of the slowest tracks in the Southeast. You'd be better going to Montgomery, Steele, Silver Dollar, or the one in SC(forgot the name).
Old 02-26-2011, 06:38 PM
DriftKing
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kappa
Commerce is probably one of the slowest tracks in the Southeast. You'd be better going to Montgomery, Steele, Silver Dollar, or the one in SC(forgot the name).
Agreed! I love both Silver Dollar and Steele!

By the way, WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Jimmy Z
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 02-26-2011, 11:06 PM
383vett
Race Director

Almost all of the top 10 Fast List times in the bone stock, bone stock w-DR, and bolt-on only classes were accomplished in sub-50 temps. That's where the full potential of the car can be realized.

I guess you're one of the 5 NASCAR viewers left after restrictor plates and other 'safety' restrictions were mandated. Viewership has absolutely plummeted with that sport.

You probably still watch boxing too. Meanwhile the rest of the world is watching the real deal, raw, and extremely unsafe UFC.

There's nothing fun about mediocrity.

You've got it backwards, chief. It is people like you that give drag racing a bad name.
Not quite sure what Nascar or boxing has to do with drag racing. I do have a problem with a person trashing an establishment or organization because the person got up a little early and drove a little ways and was disappointed that he couldn't run his little car in conditions deemed to be unsafe to run. I have made thousands of runs down the 1/4 mile, and I have seen what happends when some yahoo know it all (that's you junior) gets out of shape and hits the wall. Maybe you should thank the track from keeping you safe that day instead of publicly denouncing them.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Prime Target
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 171 Posts

If that is your attitude, go race on the freeway.
I don't want to be on the freeway with this guy...
Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 AM
1.8t
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I could have told you all of that about commerce years ago. Hate that track and don't have any plans to ever go back. I go to MMP or Steele.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:13 AM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Ive been there and hated it. I liked silver dollar raceway though but i live in gwinnett and it was a few hours away
Old 02-27-2011, 10:52 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I only bring my stock Z out when the temps are cool. If our local track here woudnt allow racing below 50*.. they would not get a big group of us that seek the best conditions to run in.
All that needs to be done to fix that alleged unsafe surface is a good spray of VHT. VHT costs money though.... so if the track is cheap and doesn't want to spray... that is less a safety concern and more of a cheaply run track!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:28 AM
DriftKing
Instructor

Not quite sure what Nascar or boxing has to do with drag racing. I do have a problem with a person trashing an establishment or organization because the person got up a little early and drove a little ways and was disappointed that he couldn't run his little car in conditions deemed to be unsafe to run. I have made thousands of runs down the 1/4 mile, and I have seen what happends when some yahoo know it all (that's you junior) gets out of shape and hits the wall. Maybe you should thank the track from keeping you safe that day instead of publicly denouncing them.
I'm sure glad most drag strips around here don't agree with you. If 'yahoos' like you had your way the Fast List would just be a group of 11.5xx runs bunched together. Most of us don't want to cage our car. What would be the point of having a Z ... road racing and garage queens I guess.

Nobody cares that you've made thousands of runs down the 1/4 mile. Are you trying to prove to us some people never learn? 1000 passes and you still don’t get it. I wonder if you have a clue what the true potential of your car is given it sounds like you’ve never run it in superior COLD AIR (see:chemistry). You’re obviously an arrogant elitist who thinks they know better than the rest of us. Those of us who can drive have felt the rear end slide during a run, and know how to handle that situation. It can happen at any temp. Sliding into the wall is driver related and completely avoidable; your mindless rules don’t prevent anything.

Mind your own business, who are you to decide what is ‘safe’ for the rest of us. You are the exact type who ruins drag racing for the rest of us, thanks for your support

Hey 383vette, it’s you: http://panasonicyouth.buzznet.com/user/video/228337/

... I digress
Old 02-27-2011, 12:33 PM
cdngolfer
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Driftking

Perhaps your obvious anger should be directed at track management. Did you do so?

Disrespecting forum members opinions will not further your cause (rant).
Old 02-27-2011, 04:19 PM
DriftKing
Instructor

Originally Posted by cdngolfer
Driftking

Perhaps your obvious anger should be directed at track management. Did you do so?

Disrespecting forum members opinions will not further your cause (rant).
Yes, I told track management what I thought of their policy as I collected my refund on the way out.

You must have missed post #2 where I was the one disrespected and insulted.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 PM
383vett
Race Director

Those of us who can drive have felt the rear end slide during a run, and know how to handle that situation. It can happen at any temp. Sliding into the wall is driver related and completely avoidable; your mindless rules don’t prevent anything.
Junior, what you don't seem to realize is that the best driver can get into the wall if the conditions are not right. I've seen seasoned racers hit the wall when there is fluid, oil or antifreeze on the track; and cold weather and marginal traction just makes things worse. I guess you, being the great driver you are can get yourself out of any mess. I wonder why the track decided to delay the start. Just to anger the baby in you? Time for bed Junior.

Last edited by 383vett; 02-27-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Sorry to hear about not getting to run Drift. Just think i'm only 20hrs of driving away Stay for a week and race at Atco, Cecil, MIR and drive home and no hotel fee's. Nice futon waiting for you downstairs. Just bring a thick coat and your racing shoes!

Get notified of new replies

To The Atlanta Dragway is Bush League

Old 02-27-2011, 10:13 PM
DriftKing
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fartpipe
Sorry to hear about not getting to run Drift. Just think i'm only 20hrs of driving away Stay for a week and race at Atco, Cecil, MIR and drive home and no hotel fee's. Nice futon waiting for you downstairs. Just bring a thick coat and your racing shoes!
Thanks for the VERY gracious offer, Pipe!!! I'll keep it in mind.

I'd sure love to run in some of that sick DA up there!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:42 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa
..... the track just past Augusta, GA in SC is called "The house of hook" if anyone was wondering. It's a really good hooking track from what I've heard but I only ran on street tires my last time out there.

I'm closer to Commerce than you Wil and I don't even waste my gas going there. I'm up for Steele or SDR as soon as my schedule frees up. It has been pure madness this year so far.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:50 PM
DriftKing
Instructor

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
..... the track just past Augusta, GA in SC is called "The house of hook" if anyone was wondering. It's a really good hooking track from what I've heard but I only ran on street tires my last time out there.

I'm closer to Commerce than you Wil and I don't even waste my gas going there. I'm up for Steele or SDR as soon as my schedule frees up. It has been pure madness this year so far.
Yea, I see from other local replies like yours I'm not alone in my opinion of Atl Dragway. Purpose of the post was to warn other draggers of what to expect so they don't waste their time if very high speed is their desired experience.

Let me know when you're available ... love to meet up at the track!

Quick Reply: [Z06] The Atlanta Dragway is Bush League