Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Problems Getting My C6 ZO6 Into Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:58 PM
GPASZO6
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Problems Getting My C6 ZO6 Into Reverse

Hello Everyone, Need some help. I just got my 3rd Corvette, but I'm having a problem that I've never experienced. I'm having problems shifting into reverse. I thought maybe the shifter was bad so I ordered an MGW short throw, but the problem is now worse. Don't get me wrong the shift between 1st thru 6th gear is working better than before, but now I have to use two hands to shift it into reverse. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Juan

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/...20071/ZO62.jpg
Old 02-27-2011, 08:02 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

If it's pre-08 it's pretty common to struggle with it. Let the clutch out just a bit and usually it will fall right in. My '06 vert does the same while my 08Z with the updated transmission always slips right into R.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:29 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

If it isn't going quick into reverse, then shift it into and then out of first (leaving clutch depressed) and leaving the clutch pedal depressed then shift into reverse.

That often helps also.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

If you're mechanically inclined you could check the reverse lock out switch and make sure the prongs are ok and making good contact. I've seen before where its plugged in and one prong is messed up and wont let it into reverse w/o a big fight. Also a non disengaging clutch can cause this aswell. Reverse is much harder to get into than any other gear if the clutch is not disengaging all the way. Test this with just sitting on flat ground with the car in 1st gear or reverse if you can get it in and rev the car a little above 4000rpms an see if the car tries to move.

Bruce
Old 02-28-2011, 12:20 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Fartpipe
If you're mechanically inclined you could check the reverse lock out switch and make sure the prongs are ok and making good contact. I've seen before where its plugged in and one prong is messed up and wont let it into reverse w/o a big fight. Also a non disengaging clutch can cause this aswell. Reverse is much harder to get into than any other gear if the clutch is not disengaging all the way. Test this with just sitting on flat ground with the car in 1st gear or reverse if you can get it in and rev the car a little above 4000rpms an see if the car tries to move.

Bruce
with above

Try the above to rule out clutch NOT disengaging (second part of above post).

Second, then look at first part of above post after clutch problem ruled out (not disengaging).
Old 02-28-2011, 03:41 AM
playtoy
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

If your having to use 2 hands to get it over into reverse, the reverse lock out is not functioning properly. Check the plugs on the reverse lock out solenoid. If you have had some rear end or tranny work lately check to make sure the plugs for the reverse lock out and the skip shift haven't been reversed.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:20 PM
GPASZO6
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hello Everyone, I wanted to thank each of you for your recomendations. I took the car to Maximum Velocity here in San Antonio and they found that the reverse lockout soloneid was disconnected. Anyway the car is now fixed and I got a new MGW shifter out of it....

Juan
Old 03-01-2011, 07:50 AM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 06Z sometimes grinds going into reverse. Weird, never happened on any of my old Vettes. I also have a MGW short throw shifter. My problem comes and goes so I live with it.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:44 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Just got my 07 repaired as well. Service manager said its a pretty common issue.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by GPASZO6
Hello Everyone, I wanted to thank each of you for your recomendations. I took the car to Maximum Velocity here in San Antonio and they found that the reverse lockout soloneid was disconnected. Anyway the car is now fixed and I got a new MGW shifter out of it...
Alright, always great hearing a happy ending.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:33 AM
mtomlin1
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

guys where do i start with this? , mine is moving sideways but not going up so the lock out is working ok as its not difficult to move it across.

I have just changed clutch , slave and pilot bearing but she doesnt want to engage.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:29 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mtomlin1
guys where do i start with this? , mine is moving sideways but not going up so the lock out is working ok as its not difficult to move it across.

I have just changed clutch , slave and pilot bearing but she doesnt want to engage.
You already have an active thread going on this subject. Starting another isn't going to get you any better answers. Besides, this thread is over 4 years old and bringing it up again is against forum rules (in case you weren't aware).

Get notified of new replies

To Problems Getting My C6 ZO6 Into Reverse

Quick Reply: [Z06] Problems Getting My C6 ZO6 Into Reverse