Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Why no automatic for ZR1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 AM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamie furman
Well I am open minded and at times I do like my 6 speeds, but just because a car has paddles doesn't mean its boring. It can be fun learning to drive your paddle car to perfection, shift points, smoothness etc. I don't find them boring when I am manual shifting them and when I fell lazy or want to drink something or eat or talk on my cell phone they are awesome! Also something that hasn't even been touched upon is you miss gears in a manual car, sometimes on the street but defiately on a track, and for me the only time I miss a gear in a 6 speed is always the absolute worst time for it to happen, that doesn't happen in a DCT car, not to mention when drag racing clutch's get hot all the time and that's a seperate problem in itself. Maybe you should try a GTR, I have one and I have a ZR1 and recently sold my ACR so I guess I can speak from experience, and I can tell you the car that is the fastest (with a tune only) and the most fun to drive and the most user friendly is the GTR, I absolutely love it!
Fair enough. I will get some seat time in cars like the GTR and 458 Italia at ExoticsRacing.

Last edited by 4-Sho; 03-07-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:55 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4-Sho
Fair enough. I will get some seat time in cars like the GTR and 458 Italia at ExoticsRacing.
You won't regret it!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jamie furman
Well I am open minded and at times I do like my 6 speeds, but just because a car has paddles doesn't mean its boring. It can be fun learning to drive your paddle car to perfection, shift points, smoothness etc. I don't find them boring when I am manual shifting them and when I feel lazy or want to drink something or eat or talk on my cell phone they are awesome! Also something that hasn't even been touched upon is you miss gears in a manual car, sometimes on the street but defiately on a track, and for me the only time I miss a gear in a 6 speed is always...
Speaking for myself, I never said the paddles were boring, or that a manual is faster. I said a manual is more fun, and it's meant in the broad sense. I found the paddles very fast, and I developed a track style that was faster than I could manage with a manual, even heel and toeing. In fact, that's the exact situation where I preferred it over the 6-spd manual.

On the street, there were some things I don't like as well, for example I had 8 spds which was nice, but if I wanted instant passing power, downshifts were not as fast as upshifts, particularly if I wanted to drop (downshift) two gears, it was not instant.

Although it would not upshift until I pulled the right hand paddle, downshifting would occur automatically if I waited too long for the left paddle. That was of course not a problem when driving it fast, but when putzing around, I could get lazy and let it downshift, or do it myself, and that meant if I was careless I could lose track of which gear I was downshifting into. That was certainly no biggie, but it was illustrative of how having a full auto and manumatic mode in the same car, I could get careless, and it reminded me that basically, it was a dumbed down driver's experience.

Yet, when driving it fast in the manual mode, it was a more intense feeling than it should be, especially at just 5/10ths, the experience imparts a sensation of unnecessary "busy-ness." That was a feeling, where it felt slow for the amount of concentration I was inputting to go not really all that fast, again about 5/10ths. At 10/10ths I had no complaints whatsoever. So the point about that is, that at something between 4/10ths and 7/10ths, I could at times feel klutzy yet busy. And when I put my thoughts to paper, I realized what I was experiencing, a sense of being overly involved, was due to tactile feedback caused by the omission of coasting ability. You don't notice that at 10/10ths because you're never coasting, and you don't notice it at 2/10ths because your rpms are so low it's downshifting for you, and it all feels very smooth at low rpm. But in that mid range of driving situations, the omission of a manual clutch, the inability to freewheel and coast means the sensation doesn't feel as relaxed as it should.

So I don't think I'm being unfair in my characterizations about it, certainly when somebody says that if you don't agree with me you've not driven one, or I can't think of one disadvantage to dual clutch drives because I can , and I've articulated a few points about them. I certainly can go fast with them, and I can appreciate them, and have as much as anybody.

Before I decided on the ZR1, I carefully considered the GTR, but I made the right choice, and I don't miss the paddles. It feels wonderful to me to have such a crisp, assured 6-spd manual, that puts me in full control at all times for better or for worse, but always trustworthy and predictable.

P.S. I also like having 638 hp.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:14 AM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
It's not cost effective for them to bother. The transmission in the V won't fit in the rear end of the Corvette without... work. And that work costs money. And they won't sell enough cars to make it worth their effort.

So essentially the answer stays: they don't have an automatic that'll work with the ZR1's (or the Z06's) torque output. Trust me, they'd do it if it were cost effective.

jas
This.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:41 AM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
Speaking for myself, I never said the paddles were boring, or that a manual is faster. I said a manual is more fun, and it's meant in the broad sense. I found the paddles very fast, and I developed a track style that was faster than I could manage with a manual, even heel and toeing. In fact, that's the exact situation where I preferred it over the 6-spd manual.

On the street, there were some things I don't like as well, for example I had 8 spds which was nice, but if I wanted instant passing power, downshifts were not as fast as upshifts, particularly if I wanted to drop (downshift) two gears, it was not instant.

Although it would not upshift until I pulled the right hand paddle, downshifting would occur automatically if I waited too long for the left paddle. That was of course not a problem when driving it fast, but when putzing around, I could get lazy and let it downshift, or do it myself, and that meant if I was careless I could lose track of which gear I was downshifting into. That was certainly no biggie, but it was illustrative of how having a full auto and manumatic mode in the same car, I could get careless, and it reminded me that basically, it was a dumbed down driver's experience.

Yet, when driving it fast in the manual mode, it was a more intense feeling than it should be, especially at just 5/10ths, the experience imparts a sensation of unnecessary "busy-ness." That was a feeling, where it felt slow for the amount of concentration I was inputting to go not really all that fast, again about 5/10ths. At 10/10ths I had no complaints whatsoever. So the point about that is, that at something between 4/10ths and 7/10ths, I could at times feel klutzy yet busy. And when I put my thoughts to paper, I realized what I was experiencing, a sense of being overly involved, was due to tactile feedback caused by the omission of coasting ability. You don't notice that at 10/10ths because you're never coasting, and you don't notice it at 2/10ths because your rpms are so low it's downshifting for you, and it all feels very smooth at low rpm. But in that mid range of driving situations, the omission of a manual clutch, the inability to freewheel and coast means the sensation doesn't feel as relaxed as it should.

So I don't think I'm being unfair in my characterizations about it, certainly when somebody says that if you don't agree with me you've not driven one, or I can't think of one disadvantage to dual clutch drives because I can , and I've articulated a few points about them. I certainly can go fast with them, and I can appreciate them, and have as much as anybody.

Before I decided on the ZR1, I carefully considered the GTR, but I made the right choice, and I don't miss the paddles. It feels wonderful to me to have such a crisp, assured 6-spd manual, that puts me in full control at all times for better or for worse, but always trustworthy and predictable.

P.S. I also like having 638 hp.
Well to each his own, and after reading your write up it sounds like you made the best choice for you and I can't say you made the wrong one, as I am a ZR1 fan myself. But where this thread started was (why no auto option in ZR1) and my point was and is just give those of us that want an F1 option, give us the the option! Every supercar in the world but the Corvette has the option, so give it to us!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Default The reason the ZR1 does not have automatic transmission is pure dollars and cents

To answer the original question: The reason the ZR1 and the Z06 do not have an automatic transmission is pure dollars and cents. The EPA certification for a vehicle drive train combination is very expensive and GM did not feel it was worth the expense to certify an auto trans.

The CTS V 6L90 trans components could be used, but they just didn't think they could sell enough to be profitable.

RPM Transmissions has done a number of Z06 conversions. With the proper converter, they are extremely fast and much more consistent on the track.

I agree with the others, a dual clutch transmission would be awesome. Hopefully we will see one in the future.

Last edited by Vito.A; 03-09-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Presidentialpawn
Racer

I didn't buy zr1 cause it doesn't have auto with the paddles. The entire world and all the race track cars use paddle shifters cause they are faster. It is so sad to read some of the remarks putting the 8-track player in front of digital media player. But everybody's entitled to their own opinion. People usually fearlesly defend what they already own. The optional auto would be good to have and I'm sure it would create more sales.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:57 AM
mesospeedy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since this has been resurected, I'll throw in my 2 cents. I like a manual transmission, and I feel it takes skill and dedication to drive fast on track with a normal manual box. Mastering heel toe downshifts and making sure you're hitting the gears, and goin to the right gear is fun for me. I don't hate on the flappy paddles, I realize some don't wanna deal with the foot work on a race track. My question is, why not go with a sequential type trans? To me its kinda the best of both worlds. You still get a clutch that the driver controls instead of the computer, you can left foot brake, and you can't miss gears! I've personally only seen these on in car cameras, so I can't say its a good option, just seems like a nice setup. I know they can work on the street, Lou Gigliotti put one in a Z06! The only thing about sequentials is the auto mode, I'm pretty sure they won't shift on there on. I could be wrong, someone smarter than me will have to comment on that, haha!
Old 02-05-2012, 01:02 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

45 day rule folks

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Why no automatic for ZR1?