Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Article blames Z06 traction control for burnout error...bs??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Marc Lefebvre
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Be careful boys...

Things happen in the race track really quickly. If you think you are too good for things to happen to...think again.

I feel bad for the guy but tip my hat to him for even getting the car on the track.

I hope his car is not totalled. A hit on that aluminum frame rail right there is not good I understand.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:04 PM
68RSSS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed - things happen fast. But dude ... this is a burnout not getting loose mid-track. Come on!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:26 PM
The Jake
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful boys...

Things happen in the race track really quickly. If you think you are too good for things to happen to...think again.

I feel bad for the guy but tip my hat to him for even getting the car on the track.

I hope his car is not totalled. A hit on that aluminum frame rail right there is not good I understand.
I agree with you. This kind of thing can happen to anyone, fast! Thats why its called an accident. No need to dog the guy.

And a strong hit to the corner of the chassis is a death blow to a Z06 indeed.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:41 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

He is blaming it on something that can't defend itself. However, it is clear from the video he not the car screwed up. If active handling would have been on as the rear end started to go sideways it would have attempted to correct the slide not add to it. Where ever you point the steering wheel it will try to make the car go that way if the car isn't responding quick enough in that direction. His speed was very slow (4 mph) so AH couldn't have much of an impact on anything since it just applies a brake to a single wheel. He could have easily stopped the car if he had obeyed the simple rule for that situation which is to put both feet in. Being an experienced drag racer doesn't necessarily make him a good driver. Whenever you hear somebody say the car was fighting me and doing things I didn't want you seriously need to question the person making the comment.

Yes, there are sometimes when people have had AH activate and pull the steering wheel but it is very, very, very rare.

One condition that can happen in a drag race is somebody thinks they have set the car in Comp Mode after they started the engine. Then they pull into the start box and do a burn out without driving far enough (couple hundred feet in a straight line over 6 mph) for the system to recalibrate (which it does everytime the engine is started). When the system is calibrating it isn't ready to work yet and won't do a thing to save your ***.

Bill
Old 03-27-2011, 08:39 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Regardless of the cause I sure feel sorry for the owner. Just think about, he spends the day prepping the car, maybe meeting some bud's for breakfast before heading to the track, spending the day with a bunch of fast cars, gear heads and maybe some great looking women and in a flash he's most likely totaled his Z06.

Put yourself in the guys shoes as he's driven home in some one else's car with his on a flatbed.

Those that have tracked there cars know what I'm talking about. A great day turning bad in a second.

Tom
Old 03-27-2011, 09:04 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I feel for the owner... it is hard to watch. But with that said there is no way the active handling can turn the steering wheel... it can influence it with different brake application... but his wheel was clearly turned hard to the right while he was doing his burnout (see 15 seconds in).. then he released the brakes with the wheel turned hard right. End of story.
Be careful out there!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:33 AM
joe11204
Procharged F1X 7.18 @ 197
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Better yet, sell the car and shoot the driver!

Be careful boys...

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Regardless of the cause I sure feel sorry for the owner. Just think about, he spends the day prepping the car, maybe meeting some bud's for breakfast before heading to the track, spending the day with a bunch of fast cars, gear heads and maybe some great looking women and in a flash he's most likely totaled his Z06.

Put yourself in the guys shoes as he's driven home in some one else's car with his on a flatbed.

Those that have tracked there cars know what I'm talking about. A great day turning bad in a second.

Tom
Originally Posted by C5 Frank
I feel for the owner... it is hard to watch. But with that said there is no way the active handling can turn the steering wheel... it can influence it with different brake application... but his wheel was clearly turned hard to the right while he was doing his burnout (see 15 seconds in).. then he released the brakes with the wheel turned hard right. End of story.
Be careful out there!!!

Things happen very quickly. Who knows for sure what happened. AH ON/OFF, COMP mode ON/OFF, AH Failure, wheels pointing wrong direction, driver error, burnout wrong place, maybe some, maybe all.... I just keep thinking how many times I'm standing at that area where the car smashed into the guard rail with a camera in hand. I'm glad no one was injured. Besides personal injury, I think the only other embarrassing thing would have been the air bags deploying.

I hope this guys gets his car repaired and back on the road.

Last edited by joe11204; 03-27-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:00 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Not this **** again.

Originally Posted by 68RSSS
Limp wrists on the steering wheel. If you can't control your car keep it in the garage.
Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Better yet, sell the car and shoot the driver!
Agreed - things happen fast. But dude ... this is a burnout not getting loose mid-track. Come on!!!
The driver of the Machine Silver car has piloted that car to repeated mid-10s. If you haven't done that in your C6Z, you really need to stop Monday morning quarterbacking. He screwed up when he didn't jump on the clutch or unwind the wheel when the car hooked hard after the burnout. End of story.

Originally Posted by The Jake
The kinds of people that do these multiple burnouts on crap street tires just cant help it because they have a little bit of John Force in them.
NT05R 345/35/19 Drag Radials on that car. Any other valuable subtle insults you want to hurl at this guy?

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Read Ranger's great info about drag racing:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...echniques.html

Scroll down to the part about doing a burnout and see where he says to "back" into the water box to get just the rear wheels wet. Then pull out of the waterbox area, but NOT into the prepped launch area for your burnout.

Also, read the Part about running with AH on (or at least in Comp mode). It can save your butt.

Bob
Not always possible. You HAVE to drive through the water at Atco. There's no other way to get to the tree.

Originally Posted by 383vett
Traction control can't always save bad driving. While trying his second burnout (I will never understand why drivers do these), the car started to get out of shape. Not a big deal, it happends during burnouts. He stayed in the throttle and hit the barrier, simple as that.

He spun the tires once to get them wet. He was on drag radials. Anyone who drives on DRs knows you spin them quick in the water to get them wet so you can do a burnout to actually get the heat in them. That wasn't a "second burnout." I would assume you know this, if that's your car in your avatar.

You never do your burnout IN the waterbox. Ever.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:11 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Yeah, too many people who apparently have never had any accidents in their lives or ever made mistakes just need to zip it and move on. Their day is coming, too. **** happens.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:40 PM
68RSSS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
Not this **** again.

The driver of the Machine Silver car has piloted that car to repeated mid-10s. If you haven't done that in your C6Z, you really need to stop Monday morning quarterbacking. He screwed up when he didn't jump on the clutch or unwind the wheel when the car hooked hard after the burnout. End of story.
I feel bad for the guy but - still an armature mistake. Not a Traction Control issue.

When’s the last time you saw flub-up like that in the burn-out area?

Looks like that the car doesn’t have a line lock. Power braking a stick car can be a little tricky. You could inadvertently turn the steering wheel while dumping the clutch, then hitting the brakes all while trying to keep the tires spinning. Think that’s what happened here.

It was over before it started. He never had a chance to correct direction after the tires hooked.

My drag cars with round steering wheels all had a wrap of white tape at the 12 o'clock position. If you get out of shape down track (or in the burn-out area in this case) you can quickly identify which way's up.

No Monday morning quarterback here – I’ve logged more than 1000 quarter mile passes in 8.0 and 9 sec cars of all types.

Just glad a track official wasn’t between the front of that car and the guardrail.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:54 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

I feel bad for the guy but - still an armature mistake. Not a Traction Control issue.

Looks like that the car doesn’t have a line lock. Power braking a stick car can be a little tricky. You could inadvertently turn the steering wheel while dumping the clutch, then hitting the brakes all while trying to keep the tires spinning. Think that’s what happened here.

It was over before it started. He never had a chance to correct direction after the tires hooked.

My drag cars with round steering wheels all had a wrap of white tape at the 12 o'clock position. If you get out of shape down track (or in the burn-out area in this case) you can quickly identify which way's up.

No Monday morning quarterback here – I’ve logged more than 1000 quarter mile passes in 8.0 and 9 sec cars of all types.

Just glad a track official wasn’t between the front of that car and the guardrail.
What happened here was something I've seen all the time at Englishtown. It just doesn't usually end up with someone in the rail because there's a lot more room at E town.

Powerbraking a stick car isn't hard at all. Heel on brake, toe on gas, toe up to 3-4k, dump the clutch, transfer your feet over. Car never even moves. Where it gets hairy is when the fronts start sliding, which would've happened with a linelock. He countersteered like he was supposed to, but what happened was as the car started to hook, it straightened out, and then it bit hard, which is where you see him get back on the brakes. The wheel was still cut because he was probably expecting to still be facing the wall when it hooked. Instead he was launched into rail. Yes, it was a mistake. However, this assertion that this guy doesn't know how to drive, or that he had too much car for his skill is just ridiculous.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:58 PM
68RSSS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
What happened here was something I've seen all the time at Englishtown. It just doesn't usually end up with someone in the rail because there's a lot more room at E town.

Powerbraking a stick car isn't hard at all. Heel on brake, toe on gas, toe up to 3-4k, dump the clutch, transfer your feet over. Car never even moves. Where it gets hairy is when the fronts start sliding, which would've happened with a linelock. He countersteered like he was supposed to, but what happened was as the car started to hook, it straightened out, and then it bit hard, which is where you see him get back on the brakes. The wheel was still cut because he was probably expecting to still be facing the wall when it hooked. Instead he was launched into rail. Yes, it was a mistake. However, this assertion that this guy doesn't know how to drive, or that he had too much car for his skill is just ridiculous.
Yeah - your right and I'm wrong.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:03 PM
joe11204
Procharged F1X 7.18 @ 197
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Wow. That's a lot of passes. What kind of cars did you drive?
Old 03-27-2011, 02:10 PM
68RSSS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by joe11204
Wow. That's a lot of passes. What kind of cars did you drive?
68 Camaro - tube chassis 8.98 377 sbc
225" S&W dragster - 8.05 355 sbc
68 Camaro Street car - 10.42 nash 5-speed 355 (back in the day - '88)

others

Quick Reply: [Z06] Article blames Z06 traction control for burnout error...bs??