Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Article blames Z06 traction control for burnout error...bs??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Article blames Z06 traction control for burnout error...bs??

So this mishap in the burnout box (or outside of the burnout box, as the case may be), is being blamed on faulty active handling.

http://www.corvetteonline.com/news/v...ol-goes-wrong/

What do you guys think caused this?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Tough call, it did snap right pretty quick. However he rolled through the water with the front tires which inhibits the ability of the active handling, the brakes were being applied, he did the burnout in the rubber/sticky part of the track and one tire may have been wetter than the other causing one to grab sooner than the other tire, who knows what the tire pressures were like. Tough call
Old 03-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Fartpipe
Tough call, it did snap right pretty quick. However he rolled through the water with the front tires which inhibits the ability of the active handling, the brakes were being applied, he did the burnout in the rubber/sticky part of the track and one tire may have been wetter than the other causing one to grab sooner than the other tire, who knows what the tire pressures were like. Tough call
I have seen "Active Handling Active" pop up on my DIC in the burnout box if I start to go sideways. But thankfully have never had this problem.

A friend of the guy is posting in this thread. I hope the gentleman chimes in to tell his story.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/perf...post1577166147

I often see people standing in front of cars doing burnouts...I always think that's crazy for this very reason (though like other things I think are crazy, doesn't mean I don't do them from time to time).
Old 03-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

14 seconds in you see he's pushing the front tires and going right in the burnout.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:22 AM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
So this mishap in the burnout box (or outside of the burnout box, as the case may be), is being blamed on faulty active handling.

http://www.corvetteonline.com/news/v...ol-goes-wrong/

What do you guys think caused this?
Driver error plain and simple. People do burnouts every day with no problems. It's simple, if the car goes crooked get out of the throttle and steer.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:27 AM
JT Metal
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Human error. Looks like he over corrected the steering during the burnout.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:05 AM
QwikC
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a poor workman who blames his tools.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:15 AM
rattt g
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
14 seconds in you see he's pushing the front tires and going right in the burnout.
if you look good the wheels are turned rite while they are sliding
Old 03-26-2011, 11:20 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Traction control can't always save bad driving. While trying his second burnout (I will never understand why drivers do these), the car started to get out of shape. Not a big deal, it happends during burnouts. He stayed in the throttle and hit the barrier, simple as that.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rattt g
if you look good the wheels are turned rite while they are sliding
Exactly. The wheels were pointing the car right where he hit, once he released the brakes and the front wheels were able to spin again, the car went right into the direction the wheels were pointing. Looks un-mistakeable that it was driver error
Old 03-26-2011, 11:21 AM
juyanith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the risk of armchair quarterbacking, it looks to me like the car does exactly what it was commanded to do. The fronts are sliding and when the rear starts to go sideways, the driver turns the wheel to the right. When he lets off, the car goes where the front wheels were pointed. I don't know if something with the traction control system is why it drifted a bit at first though.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:28 AM
The Jake
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly. As he starts his burnout the front tires start to drag and the driver starts adding steering input to the right.

Well much like when you lock your brakes up and cant steer a car, the tires weren't turning during the burnout so they really weren't doing much to change the cars direction and the driver thought nothing of how how much steering angle he had. But once hes done with his burnout he forgets to straighten the wheel as he releases the brakes and the front tires start to turn in the direction they are now pointed which happens to be steeply toward the right and directly headed toward that guard rail. Driver didn't have time to react and hits the guard rail.

I have seen that many times before. And in the video you can clearly see that this is what happened. At that low of a speed what could any of the assist really do? Not much..
Old 03-26-2011, 11:29 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Read Ranger's great info about drag racing:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...echniques.html

Scroll down to the part about doing a burnout and see where he says to "back" into the water box to get just the rear wheels wet. Then pull out of the waterbox area, but NOT into the prepped launch area for your burnout.

Also, read the Part about running with AH on (or at least in Comp mode). It can save your butt.

Bob
Old 03-26-2011, 11:38 AM
The Jake
Instructor

Originally Posted by 383vett
While trying his second burnout (I will never understand why drivers do these), the car started to get out of shape.
The kinds of people that do these multiple burnouts on crap street tires just cant help it because they have a little bit of John Force in them.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Black_Mamba
Racer

OMG! Can you do a burnout with traction control ON?
Old 03-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by The Jake
Exactly. As he starts his burnout the front tires start to drag and the driver starts adding steering input to the right.

Well much like when you lock your brakes up and cant steer a car, the tires weren't turning during the burnout so they really weren't doing much to change the cars direction and the driver thought nothing of how how much steering angle he had. But once hes done with his burnout he forgets to straighten the wheel as he releases the brakes and the front tires start to turn in the direction they are now pointed which happens to be steeply toward the right and directly headed toward that guard rail. Driver didn't have time to react and hits the guard rail.

I have seen that many times before. And in the video you can clearly see that this is what happened. At that low of a speed what could any of the assist really do? Not much..
I think you nailed it.

I used to have a 90 4 runner with rear only antilock. So in the snow the front tires would lockup. That car taught me that as soon as you let off a locked wheel the car steers where you are aimed.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by The Jake
The kinds of people that do these multiple burnouts on crap street tires just cant help it because they have a little bit of John Force in them.
In this case, I suspect the driver was doing a short spin in the water to get the full tire wet. It was longer than I do...I will turn the tires once with my slicks if the water is lacking in the box.

Get notified of new replies

To Article blames Z06 traction control for burnout error...bs??

Old 03-26-2011, 01:34 PM
68RSSS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Limp wrists on the steering wheel. If you can't control your car keep it in the garage.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 68RSSS
Limp wrists on the steering wheel. If you can't control your car keep it in the garage.
Better yet, sell the car and shoot the driver!
Old 03-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Be careful boys...

Things happen in the race track really quickly. If you think you are too good for things to happen to...think again.

I feel bad for the guy but tip my hat to him for even getting the car on the track.

I hope his car is not totalled. A hit on that aluminum frame rail right there is not good I understand.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Article blames Z06 traction control for burnout error...bs??