Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Can you help me? Coilovers for my Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:14 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Default Can you help me? Coilovers for my Z06

I am thinking about Coilovers for my 2008 Z06 but need to learn more about them......

I would like to make my car more fun for those occassional track days and am thinking Coilovers would help with that.

I do not know too much about them and would like to learn more.

I track the car only 5-8 times per season. This relates to about 25-30% of the cars use, the other 70-75% of the time it is just a street driven car for pleasure.

I am thinnking (but don't really know this) that a set of adjustable coilovers might be what I'd need. Is this so?

Can I adjust them so they are track ready for track days and then not so stiff for street driving?

Another question is, are non adjustable coilovers really that bad of a ride on the street? Are they livable or will I be feeling every little crack and bump in the road?

Sorry for rookie like questions but I have never had a car with coilovers before and don't want to make the move and then regret it afterwards..

Suggestions from experience are most welcome...

Thanks!

One other thing I had been contemplating is PFADT's Johnny O'Connells Suspension Package which consists of 4 new shocks and better sway bars... $1000 but I have a feeling this would leave me short of my track day goals...

Last edited by Glennm27; 04-01-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:54 AM
tjd113
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have PFAFT for two years on my 06 Z06 best MOD I put on the car. the cars ride is tight and the car does not move at high speed. You will also have to upgrade your sway bars, Also if I was going to do it today I would go with Moton Coilover system they have a better coilover that is much better to adjust and change the settings.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:08 AM
racer34v
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pfadt just released a set of double adjustable coilovers for the c6z, not sure what your looking to spend but i would get those and be done.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:54 AM
LanceFitzgiben
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the Pfadts as well. I do stiffen them up at the track and then tone it down again for street driving. The coilovers make a big change to the car - making it behave a lot more predictably .

Just make sure that when you get suspension work done - you have someone who knows what they're doing install everything and dial it in.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:02 AM
0Adam at RSI
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can help you!

I sell all brands and I get to play with all brand coilovers.

PM sent
Old 04-01-2011, 10:40 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

I have the Non adjustable LG Motorsports Coilovers - They are awesome. I would call LG Motorsports
Old 04-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We are happy to now provide two different coilover packages for our daily driver and track day customers!

Our classic single adjustable coilovers are great for daily driver C5 and C6's looking to improve ride quality by eliminating the OEM leaf springs, and add adjustability to their weekend track cars. These are race proven units that have suspended our NASA championship winning Pfadt Engineering race car, and our daily driver C5 and C6's for years.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...products_id/36

Our newly released double adjustable FeatherLight Generations coilovers are for those customers who want to get the last tenth of a second out of their lap times. We have them currently installed on the McBenn Motorsports c6 that's gunning for a national championship in NASA T2 competition this year. They are independent Rebound and Compression adjustable, can be spec'ed with custom spring rates, and have repeatedly withstood the tremendous beating we administer during durability testing. We are really excited to get these on customers cars, and our customers onto the podium.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/233

Along with full on coilover setups, we also offer the Johnny O'Connell package for our customers looking to improve their daily driver and casual track day experience. Thanks to our relationship with GM and their vendors, the Johnny O'Connell shocks are provided to us by the manufacturer of OEM Corvette shocks. It's important to keep in mind that these custom valved pieces never begin life as a stock Z06 shock and are not simply a bandaid on GM designed units. We worked extremely hard with factory GM racer Johnny O'Connell to engineer a valving package that makes your Corvette handle like we believe it should have from the factory. The matched set of sway bars and shocks provide a comfortable ride with excellent sporting capabilities, and is perfect for users looking to aggressively drive their vehicles without sacrificing OEM ride quality or reliability.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/215

It sounds like the OP is looking for a system flexible enough to handle track duty but still retain good street manners. The original coilovers would be a great fit for this application. We have found that depending on how you have your adjustable dampers setup, the ride quality with our coilovers is an improvement over the stock leaf spring and shock combo. Once at the track you can adjust the damping rates to make the vehicle behave how it should for any combination of street tires or race tires.

If you have any more questions please feel free to contact us or post in this thread. You can read more about our line of Corvette suspension products at our website: http://www.pfadtracing.com
Old 04-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Well, this all started last June when I talked with Aaron at VIR. SO maybe I'll try these - http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...products_id/36

If you guys will be at VIR again this June for the NCM event you can help me out if needed with adjustments..... ???

I do have a few very reputable shops in my area that can do the install and I am sure help with the set up too but it would be nice to see you guys in person again at VIR..

Glenn

Last edited by Glennm27; 04-03-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:54 PM
0Steve@AandACorvette
Former Vendor

Location: Oxnard SoCal www.aacorvette.com www.superchargersuperstore.com
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pfadt...

Old 04-01-2011, 02:57 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tjd113
I have PFAFT for two years on my 06 Z06 best MOD I put on the car. the cars ride is tight and the car does not move at high speed. You will also have to upgrade your sway bars, Also if I was going to do it today I would go with Moton Coilover system they have a better coilover that is much better to adjust and change the settings.
The Z06 sway bars are plenty stiff. If you want to keep the car streetable I would leave the stock units on with the Pfadt coilovers. At least in my neck of the woods (NYC) a complete race setup (Coilovers, bars & bushings) would make the car almost unlivable on a daily basis for me.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:31 PM
0John@Trackspecmotorsports
Former Vendor

The pfadt units have been time and time again a proven setup for our customers on both the street and at the track. A set is currently on the way to texas as we speak to a soon to be happy customer!

From your original post, it sounds like your vette needs a good balance of street car manners and a set up that is expected to perform at a higher level at the track since you track it about 25% of the time. The Pfadt adjustables are just the ticket for your to dial into your track conditions (bumpy/smooth/etc) and also get your ride height to where you want it. Dial the stiffness back for the ride home and you are set.

The JOCs have a very specific customer that is looking for that next level edge on stock corvettes performance with a no compromise comfortable street ride with limited adjustability. A more of a "set it and forget it" sure thing performance upgrade that yeilds great results. From the sounds of it, your combo may be more geared towards a coilover/sway bar combo to get you your performance goals.

We offer free shipping on all Pfadt Products and can work together a package for your including a nice swaybar set up from Pfadt. Regardless of your preferences, we are sure to have a solution for you at a great price with free shipping!

And as for set up support, you'll be hard pressed to find a top notch race engineering company with better tech and setup support!

PM sent!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27
I am thinking about Coilovers for my 2008 Z06 but need to learn more about them......

Another question is, are non adjustable coilovers really that bad of a ride on the street? Are they livable or will I be feeling every little crack and bump in the road?

Thanks!

I have the LG G2's. They are non-adjustable but contain superior Bilstein/Hypercoil components. If your car is set-up properly (i.e. corner-balanced) you will not worry with the adjustments anyway. The G2 ride on the street is not significantly harsher than leaf springs/shocks, but the rebound is less and control improved.

Give the guys at LG a call before you purchase.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Knowles's Z06
Pro

I have the 1st gen PFADT coilovers and the comp sway bars...Cars feels's beeter than stock and then I topped it off with the Camber kit...and I love it...it is the best of both worlds...I can even adjust it for the drag strip...Not to mention the service is by far the best of any corvette vendor hands down...everytime I have called them they resolved what I called for and I learned something new...never felt rushed off the phone and they are are very dependable
Old 04-01-2011, 11:19 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

running the LG adjustable coils with sways, and I love them. I make it tight for the track and a bit looser for the street.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:12 AM
scootguy58
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOM Z06
The Z06 sway bars are plenty stiff. If you want to keep the car streetable I would leave the stock units on with the Pfadt coilovers. At least in my neck of the woods (NYC) a complete race setup (Coilovers, bars & bushings) would make the car almost unlivable on a daily basis for me.
I run the c/o's at 6 front and 8 rear and the sways at the mid-setting, which works out pretty well, even on the occasional foray to NYC. That setting is espcially nice around town and on the occasional cross-country..very smooth.
The BEST part is that you do not get the dreaded "nose-up" on hard acceleration, and that is a game changer, especailly with a wide-eyed passenger.
Downside: having to cut into the rear deck to make the rear shocks easily adjustable. I did fabricate a little tool to make the adjustment without the cutout. The adjustments are seldom because it takes a bit of time pulling the wheels and getting that modified mini-wrench around the adjuster!
All in all, one of the best investments...Gm shoud have made them this way from the get-go...Maybe on the 7?
Old 04-02-2011, 12:35 PM
david9962000
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have KW V3, they're high quality and changed the handling and feedback of the car.
Attached Images   
Old 04-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Thank you everybody for all the great replies.

I have learned quite a bit from this thread with all these VERY HELPFUL replies.

I must say, every single reply here has been helpful and I really do appreciate it...

Get notified of new replies

To Can you help me? Coilovers for my Z06

Old 04-02-2011, 04:48 PM
matteo
Instructor

I just took my car out of winter storage (April 1st.) for it's first test drive with the newly installed "LG" GT2 C/overs. The ride is surprisingly compliant considering the state of our roads - Montreal Canada. Not nearly what I was expecting. I still have to get the car corner balanced and aligned for the first track event in 3 weeks, but so far am really satisfied with the GT2's. My only complaint was that I had difficulty getting the things set up. They were suposed to be ready to install when received but that was unfortunately not the case. The extended length was off by lots and when I called LG, the correct instructions was not as forthcoming as I would have liked (and no! I didn't "mess with them"). Probably not the norm as I understand that LG is usually very reliable and they supply an excellent product. I don't want to plug any supplier, but Adam at RSI was very helpful.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:48 PM
crownu2
Racer

Originally Posted by Adam at RSI
I can help you!

I sell all brands and I get to play with all brand coilovers.

PM sent

Hey Adam, can you send me a pm price on a set of coil overs from Pfaft there adjustable entry level ones ..Thanks
Old 04-02-2011, 06:55 PM
crownu2
Racer

Originally Posted by John@Trackspecmotorsports
The pfadt units have been time and time again a proven setup for our customers on both the street and at the track. A set is currently on the way to texas as we speak to a soon to be happy customer!

From your original post, it sounds like your vette needs a good balance of street car manners and a set up that is expected to perform at a higher level at the track since you track it about 25% of the time. The Pfadt adjustables are just the ticket for your to dial into your track conditions (bumpy/smooth/etc) and also get your ride height to where you want it. Dial the stiffness back for the ride home and you are set.

The JOCs have a very specific customer that is looking for that next level edge on stock corvettes performance with a no compromise comfortable street ride with limited adjustability. A more of a "set it and forget it" sure thing performance upgrade that yeilds great results. From the sounds of it, your combo may be more geared towards a coilover/sway bar combo to get you your performance goals.

We offer free shipping on all Pfadt Products and can work together a package for your including a nice swaybar set up from Pfadt. Regardless of your preferences, we are sure to have a solution for you at a great price with free shipping!

And as for set up support, you'll be hard pressed to find a top notch race engineering company with better tech and setup support!

PM sent!
Pm price please on adjustable pfadt.. thank you

Quick Reply: [Z06] Can you help me? Coilovers for my Z06