Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Airflow/Downforce on stock Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:26 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

my rfz felt very light in the front at 175 with stock configuration..[ full lenght rear spoiler and standard front splitter]...the zr1 side skirts and front splitter made it feel much more planted
Old 05-17-2011, 05:38 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RFZ
my rfz felt very light in the front at 175 with stock configuration..[ full lenght rear spoiler and standard front splitter]...the zr1 side skirts and front splitter made it feel much more planted
It sounds like you had an imbalanced car to begin with with the full-length spoiler out back and nothing to counterbalance up front until you did the ZR1 splitter.

How do these cars feel at/near 200mph with the OEM setup? I have not had mine anywhere near that fast, so looking to learn from others vs. experience on this one
Old 05-17-2011, 06:58 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are the C6 Corvette (Z51/Z06/ZR1) test results done by German mag Sport Auto (all inside of Diamler's wind tunnel). Rough translations follow.

"Vehicle frontal area (A): 2.0 m²
Drag coefficient (cw): 0.29
Air resistance index (cw × A): 0.59
The high top speed thanks to the Corvette C6, no doubt, its proven and streamlined. The drag coefficient is in fact very favorable level: 0.29. It is so even at one point turned out better than the previous model C5. The absence of dominant aerodynamic devices makes the C6 quickly but in a straight line, but causes very high lift values: The front axle is released already at 200 km / h to 54 kg. The rear axle is a little less: 28 kg. The values ​​of course apply for the closed coupe."

"Vehicle frontal area (A): 2.1 m²
Drag coefficient (cw): 0.31
Air resistance index (cw × A): 0.647
The very high-quality finish plastic body has a surprisingly good drag coefficient of 0.308. The results based on your rich because of their size and wide tires relatively large frontal area of ​​2.08 square meters but at a relatively high cw x A-value of 0.647. The petite front lip and the even smaller carbon rear wing on the edge of the tail can not stop the lift on both axes. In front there is a buoyancy of 484 Newton, at the rear of 214 Newton. The high directional stability regardless of the security is up to top speed (320 km / h) is not affected."

"Vehicle frontal area (A): 2.059 m²
Drag coefficient (Cd): 0.32
Air resistance index (cw × A): 0.66
The necessarily introduced optimization in terms of engine and brake cooling have compared to the Corvette Z06 causes a small increase of air resistance - as well as improvements in the field of aerodynamic balance. The lift at the Corvette ZR1 are fact been reduced to two axes - largely due to the pronounced front splitter and the nunmer continuous Gurney on the rear edge. At the rear axle of the lift to the Z06 was reduced from 214 to 133 Newton. The front surface is identical to scarcely 2.1 m²."

Do note that these results are for relative comparison purposes only. Another manufacturer's wind tunnel with a rolling treadmill may produce different results when the moving wheels impact the management of air through or around the vehicle. Sport Auto did note that the ZR1 was leaping at various points on the Nordschleife, had tricky unbalanced landing behavior, all made worse by very quick steering which required an extremely steady hand to keep the car on course. On the flat (and much slower) Hockhenheim circuit, this was no longer a concern; the car was in its element.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:40 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Guibo
Here are the C6 Corvette (Z51/Z06/ZR1) test results done by German mag Sport Auto (all inside of Diamler's wind tunnel). Rough translations follow.

"Vehicle frontal area (A): 2.0 m²
Drag coefficient (cw): 0.29
Air resistance index (cw × A): 0.59
The high top speed thanks to the Corvette C6, no doubt, its proven and streamlined. The drag coefficient is in fact very favorable level: 0.29. It is so even at one point turned out better than the previous model C5. The absence of dominant aerodynamic devices makes the C6 quickly but in a straight line, but causes very high lift values: The front axle is released already at 200 km / h to 54 kg. The rear axle is a little less: 28 kg. The values ​​of course apply for the closed coupe."

"Vehicle frontal area (A): 2.1 m²
Drag coefficient (cw): 0.31
Air resistance index (cw × A): 0.647
The very high-quality finish plastic body has a surprisingly good drag coefficient of 0.308. The results based on your rich because of their size and wide tires relatively large frontal area of ​​2.08 square meters but at a relatively high cw x A-value of 0.647. The petite front lip and the even smaller carbon rear wing on the edge of the tail can not stop the lift on both axes. In front there is a buoyancy of 484 Newton, at the rear of 214 Newton. The high directional stability regardless of the security is up to top speed (320 km / h) is not affected."

"Vehicle frontal area (A): 2.059 m²
Drag coefficient (Cd): 0.32
Air resistance index (cw × A): 0.66
The necessarily introduced optimization in terms of engine and brake cooling have compared to the Corvette Z06 causes a small increase of air resistance - as well as improvements in the field of aerodynamic balance. The lift at the Corvette ZR1 are fact been reduced to two axes - largely due to the pronounced front splitter and the nunmer continuous Gurney on the rear edge. At the rear axle of the lift to the Z06 was reduced from 214 to 133 Newton. The front surface is identical to scarcely 2.1 m²."

Do note that these results are for relative comparison purposes only. Another manufacturer's wind tunnel with a rolling treadmill may produce different results when the moving wheels impact the management of air through or around the vehicle. Sport Auto did note that the ZR1 was leaping at various points on the Nordschleife, had tricky unbalanced landing behavior, all made worse by very quick steering which required an extremely steady hand to keep the car on course. On the flat (and much slower) Hockhenheim circuit, this was no longer a concern; the car was in its element.
Wow.
From what I am understanding, the 'vette actually produces LIFT at speed, even with the CFZ package.

Not so good.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 PM
geeza
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Katech figures are REALLY good, or shall i say too good. the stock Z06, according to Sport Auto's wind tunnel results produces 49kg of front lift and 22kg of rear lift @124mph. Katech's 4th configuration says it increases downforce by 150% at the front and 234% at the rear. 100% increase in downforce will give 0kg lift front and rear, so 150% and 234% will give -25kg lift at the front and -30kg lift at the rear @124mph (negative lift is downforce ofcourse), which are amazing figures. what i dont understand is how so much downforce is produced by doing, along the lines, of what GM did to the ZR1 :S
Old 10-15-2012, 08:14 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jlutherva
I just installed the Katech front splitter w/ brake ducts and under tray and the Keteck rear spoiler. I also installed the RPI side skirts. I was at VIR this last weekend and have several qualitative observations. First the Z was much better planted over the rise on the back straight and the rotors seemed to be much cooler after a run. Usually, the radiant heat is very significant. With the new duct system and the Quantum cooling kit, the difference was obvious.

Jim
Nice to know. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by geeza
the Katech figures are REALLY good, or shall i say too good. the stock Z06, according to Sport Auto's wind tunnel results produces 49kg of front lift and 22kg of rear lift @124mph. Katech's 4th configuration says it increases downforce by 150% at the front and 234% at the rear. 100% increase in downforce will give 0kg lift front and rear, so 150% and 234% will give -25kg lift at the front and -30kg lift at the rear @124mph (negative lift is downforce ofcourse), which are amazing figures. what i dont understand is how so much downforce is produced by doing, along the lines, of what GM did to the ZR1 :S

Using this math, then we are at 55lb of down force on the front, and 77lb of down force on the back at 124mph.

If that is the case, then at what speed is Katech producing triple digits of down force, and with the added down force, what HP is needed to achieve such speeds to get to the triple digit numbers.

Last edited by Dano523; 12-15-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:34 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

I have an LG splitter with undertray, a world challenge vented hood, and an APR rear wing. Even at the least setting on the wing, I have more rear downforce than front downforce so the front will wash out before the rear. Overall, the car is stuck.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:25 PM
sg1reconalpha
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
I have an LG splitter with undertray, a world challenge vented hood, and an APR rear wing. Even at the least setting on the wing, I have more rear downforce than front downforce so the front will wash out before the rear. Overall, the car is stuck.
I also have an APR GT500 Wing but have no front splitter and wonder if that's why the front doesn't feel planted at higher speeds. I really want the LG GT2 front splitter package but would need to upgrade my front bumper and fenders to the ZR1 version since I have a Base model. All of this is unfortunately out of my budget. So my question is, how much difference in front down force do some of these hoods make because a hood is much more in my budget for the time being? Not sure if it's true but I read somewhere that vented hoods can give down force.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:11 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Using this math, then we are at 55lb of down force on the front, and 77lb of down force on the back at 124mph.

If that is the case, then at what speed is Katech producing triple digits of down force, and with the added down force, what HP is needed to achieve such speeds to get to the triple digit numbers.
maybe they made triple digit downforce in terms of reduced lift but still never brought the car into total downforce. Maybe it went from 250 lift to 150 lift?

Looking at the German measurements on a zr1 that may very well be the case.

edit: that is the case. Just call them out Katech and GM are hiding bad lift numbers when they sont just come out and say the actual numbers.

full stop the zr1 Aero kit still has lift; just less lift.

when Tadge said the c7 z06 stage 3 made 400lbs more downforce than the c6 zr1 it really meant that the c7z only makes about 250lbs of downforce because the c6zr1 has about 150lbs of lift.

i hate these little marketing games they play. Should just tell us the numbers.

Last edited by Pacembellum; 08-09-2022 at 11:57 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Airflow/Downforce on stock Z06?