Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMís Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

[Z06] Best brake piston retractor tool

Old 01-26-2019, 02:02 PM
moose.b3
CF Senior Member

Received 122 Likes on 104 Posts

Screwdriver. Haven't hurt a pad yet.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:56 PM
tommyc6z06
CF Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

i have that one too...it doesnít work as well as the one I mention above. I was always flipping it left / right to get it rotating the correct direction. And slipping off the pads ears.

As for prying with a screwdriver between pads and discs without damaging the friction material, Iíd love to view a demo of that trick. That may be acceptable (and Iíve done it) when tossing old pads, but thatís all
Old 01-27-2019, 08:22 AM
ratomicZ06
CF Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CGZO6 View Post
I must be a bonehead, I just shove a few flat blade screwdrivers in between the pads and rotor, then pry away until the cups are fully in the caliper.
done that for years and more years.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:31 AM
I brake for nothing
CF Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I use my bear hands because Im not a huge *****. ...

Also a set of giant channel locks and I use the old pads to retract the pistons. I wouldnt say it works "well" but it always works.
The following users liked this post:
dcooper23 (03-26-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 05:22 PM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

I use this:

$20-25 from Amazon, works great
Old 01-29-2019, 08:58 AM
anth115
CF Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Lots of options in here but just wanna add a few tips, more relevant if you do track driving:
- Before retracting, pop the pad off and spend a few mins brushing off the top of the pistons and outer surface of the dust boots. May help them last longer, although the heat from HPDE will eventually make your dust boots brittle and require replacement of them (only $10-20 for the Delco kit on Rockauto).
- Also before retracting, loosen the bleed screw and set up a bleed bottle (with the other end of the tube submerged so as not to pull air into the system). This way, when you push the pistons back in, the fluid (which is the dirtiest at this part in the system) goes out rather than back into the ABS pump, where it'll sit until the ABS is engaged. Also makes it much easier to compress the pistons via the decreased pressure in the system.
- As for actually retracting the pistons, my method is the cheap and simple one: C clamp over the old brade pad with a towel covering the painted caliper surface. Work it across the caliper a few turns at a time and it'll be done in no time. This way I know the force is distributed evenly across the piston face and I don't risk scuffing the piston bore from trying to push it in at an angle. If it's too hard to turn the clamp, you can always put a pair of pliers over the clamp handle for more leverage (may rough up your clamp handle though).
Old 01-29-2019, 05:42 PM
corvettejoe09
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same one. Best tool so far out of all the ones I've had over the years!
Old 01-30-2019, 11:54 AM
v8sten
CF Senior Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Pry a flat head screwdriver against the rotor before you pull the caliper off. And dont remove the pins. no special tools needed. It wont scratch the rotor.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:09 PM
CamarosRus
CF Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm wanting to Powdercoat my 2012 Grand Sport (Z06) Calipers

1) What is best method to remove pistons from caliper bores

2) Ive read on this Forum how members were having problems
reinstalling pistons thru new seals.....

3) At Rock Auto should I buy Ac/Delco kits, CENTRIC or ???

Can YOU please advise????

Thanks, Chuck Auburn,WA

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Best brake piston retractor tool

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: