Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] I wanna go +200 mph

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 01:23 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by ub2slow2
Good advice and having all those things checked out when I get an oil change next week. Hard to believe almost 3,000 miles on him already. Have a racing rider on the auto policy already and yeah the life insurance would probably void out but what do ya do. Where I'm fixin to do this the only thing I would have to worry about is rolling, other than that if I went off track it's nothing but grass for a long ways before some fences and no tree's or buildings. Pretty safe environment overall and I'm sure most of us have had our cars up to 150 or abouts so what's another 50 mph
The perception of speed increases at a seemingly exponential amount.
I have seen an indicated 176mph in one of my past cars, and the difference from 150mph(walk in the park) to 160(hmmm, getting going now) to 176(NOW WE"RE MOVING!!) was significant.
How fast have you gone in the past?
There is a huge difference between 150 and 200.

Originally Posted by barduch
After reading all of the posts on this thread, one certainly pauses to consider the wisdom of attempting 200 mph in our own ZR1s. At Spring Mountain I had every confidence that the mechanics paid extra close attention to every critical detail on the cars. An off track excursion there, because of a mechanical problem or driver error, could certainly have been expensive at best combined with painful at worst if the car had rolled as a result of the numerous boulders and desert plant materials lining the course. Most of us exceeded 120 mph on that back straight but that is significantly less stored energy to dissipate than 200 mph would provide. My car, as others have stated, is rock solid at 150 mph. In the controlled environment of a long and wide airport runway with flat dry grass areas abutting it, would the biggest concern be tire failure? And, does anyone know what would happen with our stock tires in the event of failure at that speed. I had a tire go flat at Spring Mountain and it was a non-event, again at a much lower speed. I am finding this to be a really interesting and thought provoking thread.
Nice avatar, that cat is chillin!!
Old 05-08-2011, 03:06 PM
ub2slow2

I went 145 back in the day in my Ford Cougar that was modded but that car was a tank and had I not been young and dumb I would have never done that. Car was bouncing all over the road and was stupid. Now in my old Vette I had it up to near 160 mph and it seemed pretty tame at that.

That being said, these cars are built for high speed and the stock tires are rated for excess speed so I'm not to worried about it. I see at the Texas mile several Vettes are pushing 200 mph and several modded one's are well exceeding it and at other events too. Ya only live once and I'm still at the age where I have the desire to do it so I better get er done.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:56 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

I went 145 back in the day in my Ford Cougar that was modded but that car was a tank and had I not been young and dumb I would have never done that. Car was bouncing all over the road and was stupid. Now in my old Vette I had it up to near 160 mph and it seemed pretty tame at that.

That being said, these cars are built for high speed and the stock tires are rated for excess speed so I'm not to worried about it. I see at the Texas mile several Vettes are pushing 200 mph and several modded one's are well exceeding it and at other events too. Ya only live once and I'm still at the age where I have the desire to do it so I better get er done.

I agree, if you have the desire, then go for it!
If your car is stock, you will need a bit more than a mile to see 200+.
Best of luck, just be safe!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:48 PM
sqchram
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vrybad
The perception of speed increases at a seemingly exponential amount.
I have seen an indicated 176mph in one of my past cars, and the difference from 150mph(walk in the park) to 160(hmmm, getting going now) to 176(NOW WE"RE MOVING!!) was significant.
How fast have you gone in the past?
There is a huge difference between 150 and 200.

Nice avatar, that cat is chillin!!
Agreed. 150 is very comfortable and tolerable - this close to what i get to passing third gear on the motorcycle, and is a quick jaunt pulling away from a cluster of 'formation drivers' However, to hunker down and pass 175 and onward is a slow battle against the wind and yes it feel immensly faster than 150. I've been to 180 and change gps corrected speedo. The road / features start to come at you faster than is comfortable for your brain to process, unless you are a racer and spend significant time at high speeds.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:24 AM
Minnesota Scott
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bad Fast

I have a 2011 Z06 with the Z07 package. I say good thing you have the Michelin tires on there. I am not sure if I have any interest in seeing my top speed of 198....but would like to see if the motor has a bit more than the 198 and only one way to find out. I am interested in your quest. Please let us know how this one goes! I do some Rock Climbing here in Minnesota and the rush of climbing 200+ feet off the ground is thrilling, but I have a lot of control over the "risk" factor as I put back up anchors in place....there is always a plan B, but a car at 200+ MPH leaves very little room for error. Say a prayer before you hit the gas.

God Speed

Scott
Old 05-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Russell ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

where ever you go i would recommend you walk that area you make the run, you wouldn't want any item, rock or small piece of metal slapping your tires at that speed, could have a fatal blowout, good luck and be safe. let us know if you see Elvis sitting next to you at that warp speed...
Old 05-13-2011, 12:49 PM
jcosta79
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Good advice and having all those things checked out when I get an oil change next week. Hard to believe almost 3,000 miles on him already. Have a racing rider on the auto policy already and yeah the life insurance would probably void out but what do ya do. Where I'm fixin to do this the only thing I would have to worry about is rolling, other than that if I went off track it's nothing but grass for a long ways before some fences and no tree's or buildings. Pretty safe environment overall and I'm sure most of us have had our cars up to 150 or abouts so what's another 50 mph
Believe me, it's a BIG difference. I've only been 190 for a short period of time (indicated on speedometer, not verified by any other sources) and it's night and day from 150.

Every little imperfection in the road feels like a speed bump.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:15 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

"another 50mph" can be nothing, or it can be lethal. Best to not discount it as of no concern though.

Scenario~ You're driving up to your top speed, the rear gets light and begins to come around. Air gets under the car and you are now a passenger. It can happen....

In stunt flying, there's a manuever called a "Lombshavac." (sp) That would be you!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:13 PM
mthermos
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

went 190mph in mine.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:23 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I say go for it!

A bit of advice would be if at any moment as you start to get in the car to make your pass or on your way to the runway you get a "thump on the head" don't blow it off. Those are the little signs in life that are there for a reason so don't ignore them.

When I went to the TX mile a few months back I had those thumps regarding a slightly out of round tire and a sloppy steering rack but I ignored them and was determined to run anyway. I mean nothing was going to happen right!? So when I got to the event, signed up and walked around with my phone awaiting the call then saw the Hinson Vette flip I thought to myself, "should I really be trying to do this today?" I decided to not run if they called me and guess what, they never even called me to run.

I took all of the above as signs that I should not be making a top speed run that day because something was not right and probably would go wrong for me.

When I did the Miami Mile I had none of those feelings above and all worked out great, minus the speed limiter at 186mph I hit three times before the finish.

Just sharing my recent personal experience when seeking that rush.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:18 PM
ub2slow2

Thanks for the words of wisdom Leavinu it's appreciated and makes perfect sense. I've still not talked myself into doing it for sure yet. We know where and how to do it not it's a matter of actually going through with it. I might be best to do a Texas Mile or something similar first. Going 150 in a ZR1 is nothing but like others have said once you start getting to 160 and up things start to happen real fast.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

...years ago, I rode as a passenger (with my instructor driving) in an early-90s Porsche 911 turbo that was very modified. We were on the track at Watkins Glen, and hit 150 mph on the back straight...

Even though I wasn't driving, let me tell you that was incredibly faster than the 125 mph I was able to push my mid-80s Porsche 928S to on the same track/event during one of my run sessions.

As many have posted here, 200 mph is not to be taken lightly, and everything about the car needs to be as perfect as possible first.

I admit that I, too, would like to experince this realm, but will only consider a properly controlled track/instructor situation in which to participate...

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 05-29-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-29-2011, 06:24 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Thanks for the words of wisdom Leavinu it's appreciated and makes perfect sense. I've still not talked myself into doing it for sure yet. We know where and how to do it not it's a matter of actually going through with it. I might be best to do a Texas Mile or something similar first. Going 150 in a ZR1 is nothing but like others have said once you start getting to 160 and up things start to happen real fast.
We want you to be around for a longgggggggggg time!Always Look forward to your posts Kev
Old 05-29-2011, 06:27 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
...years ago, I rode as a passenger (with my instructor driving) in an early-90s Porsche 911 turbo that was very modified. We were on the track at Watkins Glen, and hit 150 mph on the back straight...

Even though I wasn't driving, let me tell you that was incredibly faster than the 125 mph I was able to push my mid-80s Porsche 928S to on the same track/event during one of my run sessions.

As many have posted here, 200 mph is not to be taken lightly, and everything about the car needs to be as perfect as possible first.

I admit that I, too, would like to experience this realm, but will only consider a properly controlled track/instructor situation in which to participate...
That's the key, could not have said it any better.

Check and recheck everything, especially tires.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:28 PM
ub2slow2

Well thanks Deb.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] I wanna go +200 mph