Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] my 2007 Z06 engine has not blown up yet

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 02:07 AM
Z066666
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you to all who post on this and threads like this!!!
I just read some of the negative threads last week and have had a scared and boring five days in my Z. Now Im gonna go back to ENJOYING the funnest car I've ever owned....Thanks Guys!!!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Andydp
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have just over 11K miles on my LS7. I guess I'm staring at the edge of the precipice.

Before we get to the gist of my statement, if there is a statistician out there with the right kind of figures please chime in. I will not be insulted.

I've said this before: Its the limited number of "people in the sample" on this site that makes us believe there's a problem with our engines. I do not discount some posters have had problems, but I doubt the problems are as rampant as others imply.

I don't have actual numbers of how many LS7 engines have been built (I'll assume over 20K). If all 20K LS7 owners posted here and mentioned their problems then we would have a good idea if there really are problems.

Realistically, there are probably 2K or less that post on the ZO6 site. The "limited" audience here is very active and reports all their problems or successes.

Face it, most of use take our engines to their max limits. It stands to reason if there's a problem it would be reported here. Someone stretches their engine and it (does something bad). Another says "I had the same thing happen"; then another person says, "yes me too".

Pretty soon there's a "big" problem with LS7 engines. Even though only about 10 or 15 people may have actually had the problem.

Hope this made sense. Again, I'm not discounting there may be a problem, nor am I ignoring what people have encountered. I just think the statistical sample is too small make a general swtatement about LS7's.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you consider the amout of failures that were reported compared to the engines that were built, the failure rate is very low.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:13 AM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Stevenyc777
I have an 11 with 837 miles when should I expect the engine to go?????
you have an 11 its safe. Its ashame you are not driving it. what a waste of a great car.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:21 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Z066666
thank you to all who post on this and threads like this!!!
I just read some of the negative threads last week and have had a scared and boring five days in my Z. Now Im gonna go back to ENJOYING the funnest car I've ever owned....Thanks Guys!!!
While it's good to see positive threads about the LS7, you should check out the forum rules...not trying to be a ****, but this is the second thread you have resurrected that is over 2 years old
Old 05-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Andydp
I have just over 11K miles on my LS7. I guess I'm staring at the edge of the precipice.

Before we get to the gist of my statement, if there is a statistician out there with the right kind of figures please chime in. I will not be insulted.

I've said this before: Its the limited number of "people in the sample" on this site that makes us believe there's a problem with our engines. I do not discount some posters have had problems, but I doubt the problems are as rampant as others imply.

I don't have actual numbers of how many LS7 engines have been built (I'll assume over 20K). If all 20K LS7 owners posted here and mentioned their problems then we would have a good idea if there really are problems.

Realistically, there are probably 2K or less that post on the ZO6 site. The "limited" audience here is very active and reports all their problems or successes.

Face it, most of use take our engines to their max limits. It stands to reason if there's a problem it would be reported here. Someone stretches their engine and it (does something bad). Another says "I had the same thing happen"; then another person says, "yes me too".

Pretty soon there's a "big" problem with LS7 engines. Even though only about 10 or 15 people may have actually had the problem.

Hope this made sense. Again, I'm not discounting there may be a problem, nor am I ignoring what people have encountered. I just think the statistical sample is too small make a general swtatement about LS7's.
First of all the problem is huge it gives no warning and then bam you need a whole new engine, so it's not a 1-2k fix that's what is scary.

What makes me think there is a problem is how uncommon this is in other corvettes and ESPECIALLY other makes for me it's EVO's, Supras, GTR's, Vipers, just so rare for this spontaneous destruction.

Back to why I think there is a problem. For ***** and giggles go call any Corvette shop ECS, RR, Lingenfelter, RPM, TSP, DP, Livernois, etc etc etc etc and ask how many LS7's have they seen with dropped valves or cracked pistons?

Then read through the posts when people say "I know 2 guys that lost a motor!" etc etc.

I personally know 2 people locally that have had trashed LS7's one a bolt on car the other a H/C car both went with LSX builds after.........!!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:42 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

When I bought my Z in 2010 it needed valves and heads. The ticking sound was very bad. Fortunately my model year sticker said it was built in 2006 and was titled as a 2007 and actually not sold until 2008 so that was when the warranty started. They gave me new heads and valves and guides under warranty. My power train warranty doesn't expire until 2013. Hopefully I'll enjoy ownership of the car during and after the warranty expiration.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:59 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this thread may be old...but can't help but feel sorry for a couple members that posted on this issue bragging about there motor not popping..then lost there motors not long after
Old 05-24-2012, 08:41 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
this thread may be old...but can't help but feel sorry for a couple members that posted on this issue bragging about there motor not popping..then lost there motors not long after
I started the thread, hoping I could join the club... still working on it. I can't believe GM is still making LS7's!!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] my 2007 Z06 engine has not blown up yet