Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2008 Z06 with blown engine - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 06:59 PM
markuswelby
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vito.A
First, go talk to a lawyer. It doesn't hurt to talk.
One of our cars blew the motor a few years ago and they said they would not cover it because there was only 1 qt of oil in the pan. No signs of an oil leak, so we must have abused it. My wife called the lawyer and faxed him all our maintenance receipts. The lawyer sent a letter and followed it up with a phone call a day later. The general manager called my wife and said they had reevaluated the issue and they were shipping in a new motor ASAP.

If you have any motor skills it may be a great experience rebuilding yourself. If you don't, find a friend that does and take the opportunity to learn.

Replace the cast hypereutectic pistons with forged pistons and tool steel wrist pins. Also replace the 2-piece exhaust valves with quality one piece valves and the steel valve guides with bronze guides.

Best of luck!
Anyone have the contact info for a good lawyer? Please PM me with details.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

You will need as lawyer in your state familiar with vehicle warranty laws. Start with the phone book. Might want to avoid the ambulance chasers.

Another method would be to join Pre-Paid Legal. They will usally not take a pre-existing case, but you haven't done anything yet, so you may be ok.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:32 AM
heavyhitter
Advanced

Oh there is nothing wrong with gm exhaust valves/guides! Theres only been like 100 cars the blew up! Thanks GM
Old 07-18-2011, 03:53 PM
markuswelby
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Vito.A
You will need as lawyer in your state familiar with vehicle warranty laws. Start with the phone book. Might want to avoid the ambulance chasers.

Another method would be to join Pre-Paid Legal. They will usally not take a pre-existing case, but you haven't done anything yet, so you may be ok.
Good deal, I will check it.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:07 PM
gp2race
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

My friend just bought a long block Katech 571hp for $9500.00 last month.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:18 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by heavyhitter
Oh there is nothing wrong with gm exhaust valves/guides! Theres only been like 100 cars the blew up! Thanks GM
Where did you pull that 100 number out of?
How many were bone stock, how many modded?
What percentage is your number compared to production totals?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:55 PM
punisherzx12r
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

my brother works for GM and they have been instructed to "good will" just about anything...even cars way out of warranty. All to improve customer satisfaction. Call GM corporate..go above the dealer and see what you can get.

if none of that works...sell me the car (i'm serious) then sue GM for diminished value
Old 07-18-2011, 11:58 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Originally Posted by punisherzx12r
my brother works for GM and they have been instructed to "good will" just about anything...even cars way out of warranty. All to improve customer satisfaction. Call GM corporate..go above the dealer and see what you can get.

if none of that works...sell me the car (i'm serious) then sue GM for diminished value
I don't doubt your post but he did have an "aftermarket" tune. Good will or not, I say GM won't warranty it.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 AM
punisherzx12r
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET
I don't doubt your post but he did have an "aftermarket" tune. Good will or not, I say GM won't warranty it.
these cars have so many sensors and protections built into them that a bad tune is not going to cause a valve to drop without throwing a code on something else first...i would argue that if no old codes existed in the computer like the knock sensor going crazy months before the motor grenaded itself then the motor should be covered.

i think its just a bad dealership.

warranty is just like insurance and an insurance adjuster first learns how to say "deny claim" before "here is your check"
Old 07-19-2011, 12:51 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I would rebuild a bad azz Heads/Cam LS7 engine into a nice heads and cam engine making around 550 to 580 rwhp.

It doesn't hurt to consult with an Attorney but with a Hypertech tune in it, it is my humble opinion (not legal advice) that you will be SOL.

Best of luck to you!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:21 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Last Spring my wife bought herself a nice foreign made SUV. I won't mention the name but just say that it has a VERY long warranty.

Well, today we received a notice from the factory that there is a potential problem with the front springs that could cause premature failure. Apparently they learned this from repair reports and analysis of the failures. Smart eh?

Anyway, I guess to minimize their future warranty repair costs and maximize customer satisfaction they are calling on all owners to bring their vehicles in for a no cost upgrade to fix the DESIGN problem.

So why would I mention this here? Wull, are there any design flaws in the LS7? I dunno....kinda, sorta appears maybe some problems with the valves? Like kinda, sorta maybe they would have figured out the problem from all the failures?

You see the difference between approach "A" with the foreign manufacturer and approach "B" fix it when it fails unless we can avoid it?

I dunno. We're probably going to take the SUV in for the upgrades. The manufacturer has admitted a design flaw, found a solution, and is going to do the upgrade for no cost. Who is leading who in the business world now? Seems like we need to be sending MBA students to this foreign country to learn how to proactively manage a business instead of letting accountants and executives being paid quarter to quarter bonuses make the decisions.

Or maybe I'm wrong and there's nothing comparable here at all?

Besides, as one post said, there's nothing wrong with the LS7...just a few isolated failures...no pattern.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:26 AM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Originally Posted by punisherzx12r
these cars have so many sensors and protections built into them that a bad tune is not going to cause a valve to drop without throwing a code on something else first..
Do you know for a fact that a "bad tune" won't grenade an LS7? If so, maybe you can send your info to the OP so he can argue with GM about it.
I don't know if it can or can't. GM basically says that they will warranty the powertrain for 5 yr/100K miles IF you don't mess with the tune. In my case, the warranty is worth more to me than a few extra HP by messin with the tune. Others may want the extra HP and are willing to risk the warranty.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:03 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by heavyhitter
much?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by OregonC6
Last Spring my wife bought herself a nice foreign made SUV. I won't mention the name but just say that it has a VERY long warranty.

Well, today we received a notice from the factory that there is a potential problem with the front springs that could cause premature failure. Apparently they learned this from repair reports and analysis of the failures. Smart eh?

Anyway, I guess to minimize their future warranty repair costs and maximize customer satisfaction they are calling on all owners to bring their vehicles in for a no cost upgrade to fix the DESIGN problem.

So why would I mention this here? Wull, are there any design flaws in the LS7? I dunno....kinda, sorta appears maybe some problems with the valves? Like kinda, sorta maybe they would have figured out the problem from all the failures?

You see the difference between approach "A" with the foreign manufacturer and approach "B" fix it when it fails unless we can avoid it?

I dunno. We're probably going to take the SUV in for the upgrades. The manufacturer has admitted a design flaw, found a solution, and is going to do the upgrade for no cost. Who is leading who in the business world now? Seems like we need to be sending MBA students to this foreign country to learn how to proactively manage a business instead of letting accountants and executives being paid quarter to quarter bonuses make the decisions.

Or maybe I'm wrong and there's nothing comparable here at all?

Besides, as one post said, there's nothing wrong with the LS7...just a few isolated failures...no pattern.

In my opinion you are wrong. A spring failure is a safety concern and they issued the recall to prevent accidents, deaths, and lawsuits, not purely for customer satisfaction.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 07-19-2011, 11:26 AM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
In my opinion you are wrong. A spring failure is a safety concern and they issued the recall to prevent accidents, deaths, and lawsuits, not purely for customer satisfaction.
You are soooo cynical.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by rubyredvet
you are soooo cynical.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:42 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by 383vett
One option, Katec.
Kaopectate ? ................ Opps read that post to fast .......

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Z06 with blown engine - suggestions?

Old 07-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by gp2race
My friend just bought a long block Katech 571hp for $9500.00 last month.
From a private party I assume (or Katech directly)?
Old 07-25-2011, 05:20 PM
MGJ07C6
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Vengeance Racing, a forum sponsor here has a LS7 for sale that just came out of a customers car who put in an RHS engine.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...induction.html
Old 07-25-2011, 05:38 PM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

We would also be happy to build a custom LS7 to suite your specific needs/goals/budget.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2008 Z06 with blown engine - suggestions?