Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2008 Z06 with blown engine - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:48 PM
markuswelby
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so, I ended up settling with GM for the entire amount of the engine replacement plus my lawyer fees. Anyone need a good lawyer, I got one! I put about 3500 miles on motor and then went out to Auto Club Speedway and.... blew a hole in my block... unbelievable...
shifting at 6500 to 7000 rpm like everyone else.. car blew out white smoke on first session, car is back at GM dealership....
Old 09-19-2011, 10:56 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Go cart engine ........................
Old 09-19-2011, 11:19 PM
IanM
Racer

Originally Posted by Vito.A
First, go talk to a lawyer. It doesn't hurt to talk.
One of our cars blew the motor a few years ago and they said they would not cover it because there was only 1 qt of oil in the pan. No signs of an oil leak, so we must have abused it. My wife called the lawyer and faxed him all our maintenance receipts. The lawyer sent a letter and followed it up with a phone call a day later. The general manager called my wife and said they had reevaluated the issue and they were shipping in a new motor ASAP.

If you have any motor skills it may be a great experience rebuilding yourself. If you don't, find a friend that does and take the opportunity to learn.

Replace the cast hypereutectic pistons with forged pistons and tool steel wrist pins. Also replace the 2-piece exhaust valves with quality one piece valves and the steel valve guides with bronze guides.

Best of luck!
An LS7 costs a lot of money... most engines do as a matter of fact. Taking the time to REALLY see it all and understand it is worth more than the motor by far. If you have the time and another car to DD I would rebuild it with the best parts and do it yourself preferably with a buddy nearby that knows engines if you do not. I promise it will be an experience like no other... aggravating, rewarding and exciting like you would not believe.

If you are worried about anything during the process you have an entire forum of builders eager to help out including myself. If you can spare the time and the patience I would not recommend anything else.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 15 Posts

Man, i might never get a Z if i keep reading these threads.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:53 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics are always nice.........
Old 09-20-2011, 01:11 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

So this is a second blown engine for the same owner. He got 3,500 miles out of this new one.

I said it once, and I'll say it again. A disproportionate number of these engines are failing among the membership of this forum and anyone thinking that there is not something going on with some of these engines has their head buried in the sand.

When have you ever heard of someone in here having an LS1, LS2, LS6 or LS3 fail, getting it replaced, and then having that second one fail 3500 miles later?

Originally Posted by 30YR W8T
Pics are always nice.........
While I am glad to see that more and more people are not bashful about asking for verification on some of these failures, despite the fact that others took a pounding for initially suggesting it, this one has at least one witness who is a long time member of this forum. So you have the word of the original poster and a long term respected member to confirm it.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 09-20-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:54 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by markuswelby
so, I ended up settling with GM for the entire amount of the engine replacement plus my lawyer fees. Anyone need a good lawyer, I got one! I put about 3500 miles on motor and then went out to Auto Club Speedway and.... blew a hole in my block... unbelievable...
shifting at 6500 to 7000 rpm like everyone else.. car blew out white smoke on first session, car is back at GM dealership....
Are you still running the stock '08 oil tank?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:49 AM
hoefi
Racer

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie

There is no way your car should have blown up again. Maybe it was a lightening bolt .... they can hit the same place twice.

They hit multiple places twice.

Forum member tjwong once wrote:

"...The person you mentioned earlier that had two engines warrantied by GM, where one lost a exhaust valve and had a catrastrophic failure, the second engine was lost due to oil starvation. I am pretty sure it is a customer of mine that lives here in Washington state. He is a highly skilled driver, who also teaches during the Corvette Museum track day events and at many other events in our neck of the woods. If it is the same person I know, I have his second engine apart, and its NASTY...."
Old 09-20-2011, 09:11 AM
IanM
Racer

I really love the old fraise "Lightning never strikes in the same place twice..." Yah ok so you'r saying it found the quickest route to earth to ground itself (as electricity does) and next time it's just going to opt for a more difficult path for the hell of it? NO! It should be "Lightning is likely to strike in the same place twice or more than twice." Anyway sorry for the semi thread hijack! Hah.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:27 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Wow...they paid up on a motor with a tune?

This will certainly set a precedence.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Yes he is Rich. I talked to him about that.

DH
Could that be the cause (was he pulling hi lat 'G' in the ROVAL)?
Old 09-20-2011, 01:23 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

The first line of your post was so uplifting until I continued reading. Unbelievable...just unbelievable. Sorry this happened to you. Let us know what the dealership says and hang in there.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I've seen a z06 blow 2 motors in a month. First one lost a bearing. Dealer replaced the shortblock under warranty. They didn't replace the sump/cooler. Second motor lasted 700 miles before it lost a bearing from all the junk that was left in the cooler/etc. Dealer then replaced the motor along with all of the oiling system to make sure it was clean.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB
I'm sorry, I read it thru quickly. Didn't see anywhere mention that the block was toast.
R&r is typically 600-1000. Figured parts and labor was 2-3k depending how bad.
But ya never know how bad til you're into it.

Sorry for the confusion.

To the OP, I'd just buy a built motor from the board here and slap it in. I had a built 427 that I was selling for 10k, would have worked for ya.
Good luck.
Aj
If you get a shop to do a R/R Ur looking at 7-9k.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:52 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Time to get a ZR1.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:59 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

One question to the OP, did the shop/dealer replace all oil system components after the first engine blew? That would include the oil tank, all lines and especially the oil cooler. I know that when I blew my engine, the debris went everywhere in a hurry. The cooler, lines and everything that had oil running through it was covered in sand sized debris.

Does you work order from them clearly show what was replaced or cleaned?
Old 09-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
One question to the OP, did the shop/dealer replace all oil system components after the first engine blew? That would include the oil tank, all lines and especially the oil cooler. I know that when I blew my engine, the debris went everywhere in a hurry. The cooler, lines and everything that had oil running through it was covered in sand sized debris.

Good point.

Also, was the second engine failure on the car's stock tune?

Third, do we know yet for CERTAIN that this is a catasrophic failure with the 2nd engine?

To the OP, really sorry to hear about your bad luck, I would say its time for a ZR1 or a 600HP 2008-10 Viper!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 09-20-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Z06 with blown engine - suggestions?

Old 09-20-2011, 06:41 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Good point.

Also, was the second engine failure on the car's stock tune?

Third, do we know yet for CERTAIN that this is a catasrophic failure with the 2nd engine?

To the OP, really sorry to hear about your bad luck, I would say its time for a ZR1 or a 600HP 2008-10 Viper!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Today I got some pictures after the head had been removed. Damage is pretty severe but not as bad as I thought it would be. GM Rep looked at the engine today and approved warranty replacement, told Service Writer to copy the sections of the Owner's Manual pertaining to Maintenance of Engine when used on the track or in Competition and give them to me. Also told Service Writer that GM's practice is to approve just one repair/replacement. After that I am on my own. ....

Bill
The above are precisely why I don't subscribe to the "just extend the warranty and don't worry about it" school to thought.

Guy's motor popped.

They put in another one.

3500 miles later, that one pops.

Even if he is still under warranty, he just might have a helluva time getting them to put a third engine into his car.

And possibly through no fault of his own, if some debris from the old motor got into this new one.

That burden of proof, is likely to fall on him. Especially since the second motor popped on the track.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:27 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well after reading through this I am wondering the same thing about how well the oil system and lines were flushed? I can image several different potential scenario's if that was not done. Additionally, if not flushed and inspected for debris, the problem could have just been compounded by the track time. Really hate hearing stories like this and I hope things work out for the OP.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:43 PM
hoefi
Racer

Originally Posted by redzone
Wow...they paid up on a motor with a tune?

This will certainly set a precedence.
Since it is a private seattlement between the two parties, there is no legal precedence set. Next time around with some other owner, GM might do something else.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2008 Z06 with blown engine - suggestions?