Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Supercharged 427

Old 07-20-2011, 03:23 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

Default Supercharged 427

I have posted information on my buddies 427 that blew on the dyno after putting the E-Force supercharger on it. There are still too many questions regarding who was at fault. One thing is for sure, install gauges (good quality gauges) so you will know what the engine is doing and what the boost is. The owner of the car in question opted not to have any gauges installed, so the boost was not known and was estimated. The shop that did the work would of installed the gauges as part of a supercharger install. But, because the owner decided not to have gauges, well then maybe he needs to take on some of the fault.

After all, the customer is always right, or is he?
Old 07-20-2011, 03:27 PM
NA-Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that sucks! The shop should have known what they were doing gauges or not! Or did they ever say, if you do not have gauges there is a risk of it blowing? Or did they mention they themselves NEEDED gauges to know what they were doing? Or how about, no gauges=no warranty?

EDIT: sorry, just re-read, I thought the installer was also the tuner... thats going to be tough to figure out! Tuner should've installed a dyno boost gauge just like the do A/F gauges, the ones attached to the dyno software. A tuner shouldn't rely on aftermarket gauges anyway!

Last edited by NA-Z06; 07-20-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:37 PM
DaddyBarlow
Racer

Bad Tune.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:38 PM
DaddyBarlow
Racer

What broke and how?
Old 07-20-2011, 03:41 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

No the cusstomer is not always right
Old 07-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

This was obviously an LS7 engine I assume?

Other than the supercharger, was the engine an internally stock LS7?

That really SUCKS for your buddy!

The tune has to be spot on when playing with an 11 to 1 compression engine that is not made for boost.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:49 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

In my humble opinion, all parties involved need to get in the same room together and recap exactly what took place from beginning to end. This would include the car's owner, the shop that did the install, Edelbrock, the guy that did tune, the dyno shop, and GM. Otherwise the there will never be any satisfactory conclusion or resolution. It can NEVER be resolved with each individual saying he said she said, he did this and he should of done this or that. It's truly an unfortunate incident that reflects on everyone involved and their reputation.

I consider the guys that own the shop as friends, but I'm afraid they may not be thrilled with some of my post. I've tried to be honest and fair with what I've reported, getting information from the people involved. As I said before, that shop is top notch. They are experts at what they do, and they do it well, and stand behind their work.

It it also important to note, this forum helps allot of individuals make good decisions. Therefore, reporting an incident like this ads to the knowledge of what our cars can and can't do.

I apologize to anyone I may have pissed off.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:32 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

just because you don't want to add gauges to your car doesn't mean the shop couldn't temp install a boost gauge zip tied to the wiper for dyno testing...I knew a guy who's LS1 exploaded a piston after a cam change on the dyno as well...but he had been running some nitrous before...shop said they would help him by giving him free labor on the rebuild as long as he bought the parts...fair I think.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:53 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mirage2991
just because you don't want to add gauges to your car doesn't mean the shop couldn't temp install a boost gauge zip tied to the wiper for dyno testing...I knew a guy who's LS1 exploaded a piston after a cam change on the dyno as well...but he had been running some nitrous before...shop said they would help him by giving him free labor on the rebuild as long as he bought the parts...fair I think.
That's why I said, everyone needs to meet in a room and talk it out. Why, why, why?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:03 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

either your friend's motor was already hurt prior to the install, something was not done correctly during the install, or the car was pushed before the tune was spot on.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:11 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EX1
either your friend's motor was already hurt prior to the install, something was not done correctly during the install, or the car was pushed before the tune was spot on.
All of the above?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Jimmy Z
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

the customer is Not always right, but the customer is always the cutomer!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackmagicZ
In my humble opinion, all parties involved need to get in the same room together and recap exactly what took place from beginning to end. This would include the car's owner, the shop that did the install, Edelbrock, the guy that did tune, the dyno shop, and GM.
Why would GM be in the room? Putting a supercharger on your engine is so far out of warranty terms why would you expect them to become involved?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator
Why would GM be in the room? Putting a supercharger on your engine is so far out of warranty terms why would you expect them to become involved?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:07 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator
Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
I think that blackmagicZ was saying that there will never be a cause discovered since every party involved will blame the other(s).
Old 07-20-2011, 11:13 PM
letsrollmike
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn son, no boost gauge? Not me...
Old 07-21-2011, 12:03 AM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Crazy situation you have your self into here. The only info I can add is...the fact that "gauges" were not installed on the car has zero bearing on who is at fault. Tuners should never be relying on aftermarket gauges when tuning anyway. This includes boost AND air/fuel. The fact that this even came up as a possible excuse not to tale responsibility is outrageous.

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharged 427

Old 07-21-2011, 08:51 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The owner of the car in question opted not to have any gauges installed
"Sure, I'll give you $6k+ bucks for a supercharger but umm I'd rather save my $150 for a boost gauge. Who needs that?!"

.... I've never understood this rationale.

In my humble opinion, all parties involved need to get in the same room together and recap exactly what took place from beginning to end. This would include the car's owner, the shop that did the install, Edelbrock, the guy that did tune, the dyno shop, and GM.
Car owner= obviously
Installer= Yep
Edelbrock=
Tuner= He was running it on the dyno when it popped so yep!
Dyno shop=
GM=

Last edited by LEAVINU; 07-21-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:29 AM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Crazy situation you have your self into here. The only info I can add is...the fact that "gauges" were not installed on the car has zero bearing on who is at fault. Tuners should never be relying on aftermarket gauges when tuning anyway. This includes boost AND air/fuel. The fact that this even came up as a possible excuse not to tale responsibility is outrageous.

They should be logging these values via EFI Live / HP Tuners if they're tuning the car.

Was this just a basic kit with edelbrock's tune or were they trying to push it and tune it themselves?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:38 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by u1arunit
I think that blackmagicZ was saying that there will never be a cause discovered since every party involved will blame the other(s).
Let's face it, it's human nature to not want to admit when you are wrong..and especially now that there is some potential big money involved.

The only people that need to be "in the room" or at the table discussing are the shop and customer. Having GM and Edlebrock participate (good luck btw and even getting them to a meeting in the first place) serves no purpose at all.

I hate to sound like a DCK, but I've been down a similar road before. Both parties hopefully can work out a reasonable agreement to move forward. This is the world of Modding and as the saying goes...you wanna play ..you gotta pay and there are no gurantees.. it's a risk everyone takes when modding.

Originally Posted by triblk6spd

This is just plain stupid and really has no bearing on anything..other than the fact that if the shop is trying to place blame here it tells us the shop is incompetent, or lying about something and trying to get out of this whole deal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Supercharged 427