Z06 What is the Avg cost of upgrading a cam in your Z06 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion



C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06
General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

What is the Avg cost of upgrading a cam in your Z06

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
knockout_tx
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
knockout_tx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/ League City Texas
Posts: 99
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default What is the Avg cost of upgrading a cam in your Z06

Trying to figure out what would be the right way to go.....Cam, is what I wanted, but now wonder if I would get more bang for the buck with a SC or turbo........?????????



Machine Shop Machine Shop Costs - ARP Head Studs, Stainless Steel
Valves, Titanium Retainers, Push Rods, Dual Valve
Springs, Lifters, Head Gasket, Timing Chain, Timing
Gear, Custom Built Custom Cam
3,700.00

Labor Charge Labor Rate Per Hour book calls for 35 hrs

2,800.00


With all added together to include Dyno time....... 7,107.00 total
knockout_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
lane_change
CF Senior Member
 
lane_change's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Katy TX
Posts: 2,321
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

That is not just a cam upgrade that you are quoting, that would be heads/cam. You can get a cam swap done for far less than that and make around 550whp or so with the cam, intake, headers, and tune. Do you already have headers or intake? My personal preference was Carlos from Vette-Air and his QM cams....but they are in Dallas. But price wise, it was much cheaper than dealing with shops in Houston and his cams work. My cam only Z was a mid 10 sec car and the price for a cam swap with cam, springs, retainers, and tuning is sub $2000.

For heads, factor in another $2000 or so, plus labor...so head/cam/labor/tuning probably in the $4-5k range and that would get you into the high 500's if you have the other supporting mods. I'm a head/cam car right now, never been a fan of s/c cars. I'm in Houston as well, and I priced around down here...wasn't even close.
lane_change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Unreal
CF Senior Member
 
Unreal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Gilbert AZ
Posts: 19,282
Thanked 949 Times in 811 Posts
Default

$800-1000

Carlos has nice kits on sale for $750-800. All you need is a cam bolt and some water pump gaskets. It is pretty easy to do yourself.

I'll sell my mamba cam once I pull it out for $250, and you would just have to pick up a spring kit for $200-250 so you could do a cam package for <$500.
Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
EViL427
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
EViL427's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Cypress TX
Posts: 4,337
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Shawn David (now of Lethal Racing in Lafayette, LA) does all my motor work and tuning. The quotes you are getting are about right for a heads/cam setup. Cam only I've seen specials below $2000 turnkey from some of the vendors.

But bear in mind that doesn't include any other supporting modifications, like intake (ported), throttle body (ported) or exhaust (headers and X-pipe). That's just a cam swap with dyno tuning. To get the most out of your cam swap, you will want to do all of the supporting modifications.

Unreal, don't forget the cost of tuning. That alone goes for on average $500 for street and dyno tune.

Last edited by EViL427; 08-11-2011 at 12:29 PM.
EViL427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
sublime1996525
CF Senior Member
 
sublime1996525's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: "Ricers make baby Jesus cry" Utah UT
Posts: 19,429
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
$800-1000

Carlos has nice kits on sale for $750-800. All you need is a cam bolt and some water pump gaskets. It is pretty easy to do yourself.

I'll sell my mamba cam once I pull it out for $250, and you would just have to pick up a spring kit for $200-250 so you could do a cam package for <$500.
This is about right. Plus $500 or so for tune.

Unreal, what are your plans for the Z?
sublime1996525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Unreal
CF Senior Member
 
Unreal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Gilbert AZ
Posts: 19,282
Thanked 949 Times in 811 Posts
Default

Tuning is easy. $500 is high. Carlos only charges $150 or so for tuning.

Sublime, nothing. Want to buy my cam and stuff? I'll tune it for free
Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
knockout_tx
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
knockout_tx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/ League City Texas
Posts: 99
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I currently have a cold air intake, 102mm NB, 102 mm Fast, long tube B&B, no cats, B&B fusion, Dyno tune. I was looking at England Green as well. So all the help I can get the better. Is it possible to make 600 RWHP with just a cam or do you need heads as well????
knockout_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
saleentim
CF Senior Member
 
saleentim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Katy Texas
Posts: 531
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

sent you a pm knockout
saleentim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
Unreal
CF Senior Member
 
Unreal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Gilbert AZ
Posts: 19,282
Thanked 949 Times in 811 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout_tx View Post
I currently have a cold air intake, 102mm NB, 102 mm Fast, long tube B&B, no cats, B&B fusion, Dyno tune. I was looking at England Green as well. So all the help I can get the better. Is it possible to make 600 RWHP with just a cam or do you need heads as well????
I've never seen it done and even with heads it isn't easy.
Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
u1arunit
CF Senior Member
 
u1arunit's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,133
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout_tx View Post
I currently have a cold air intake, 102mm NB, 102 mm Fast, long tube B&B, no cats, B&B fusion, Dyno tune.
How much power ya making on these parts??
u1arunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
PureSwank
CF Senior Member
 
PureSwank's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2008
Location: Texas Texas
Posts: 2,294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout_tx View Post
I currently have a cold air intake, 102mm NB, 102 mm Fast, long tube B&B, no cats, B&B fusion, Dyno tune. I was looking at England Green as well. So all the help I can get the better. Is it possible to make 600 RWHP with just a cam or do you need heads as well????
Yes it is possible. Your going to need a BIG cam all the bolt on's and some good flowing heads. Dyno the vette on a good morning when temperatures aren't so hot and you'll hit that power. A good after market clutch would help as well. I dynoed in 565rwhp first time around. (101 Degrees) Re-dynoed a couple months later with cooler weather different tuner and hit 585rwhp (59 degrees) WITHOUT Heads and a further ported ls7 throttle body. Add Heads and a ported TB your looking at 605 rwhp now . It'll basically come down to the size of cam you have. If you want the magical number you gotta go radical. Which is what I did. Then the 200 shot comes in and all hell breaks lose with further modifications

Last edited by PureSwank; 08-11-2011 at 03:14 PM.
PureSwank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
FNQWK
CF Senior Member
 
FNQWK's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2006
Posts: 958
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane_change View Post
That is not just a cam upgrade that you are quoting, that would be heads/cam. You can get a cam swap done for far less than that and make around 550whp or so with the cam, intake, headers, and tune. Do you already have headers or intake? My personal preference was Carlos from Vette-Air and his QM cams....but they are in Dallas. But price wise, it was much cheaper than dealing with shops in Houston and his cams work. My cam only Z was a mid 10 sec car and the price for a cam swap with cam, springs, retainers, and tuning is sub $2000.

For heads, factor in another $2000 or so, plus labor...so head/cam/labor/tuning probably in the $4-5k range and that would get you into the high 500's if you have the other supporting mods. I'm a head/cam car right now, never been a fan of s/c cars. I'm in Houston as well, and I priced around down here...wasn't even close.
x2. i think carlos has the best deal and is one of the highest regarded people in the corvette community. $2k for cam,springs,installed and tuned-cant beat that
FNQWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
PureSwank
CF Senior Member
 
PureSwank's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2008
Location: Texas Texas
Posts: 2,294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNQWK View Post
x2. i think carlos has the best deal and is one of the highest regarded people in the corvette community. $2k for cam,springs,installed and tuned-cant beat that
I didnt go with Carlos, but DAYUM!! that's one hell of a deal. Heard excellent things bout my homie Carlos
PureSwank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:04 PM   #14
knockout_tx
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
knockout_tx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/ League City Texas
Posts: 99
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you for the PM..........thanks for the great info. It will be a little easier now to make a decision.
knockout_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #15
EViL427
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
EViL427's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Cypress TX
Posts: 4,337
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Tuning is easy. $500 is high. Carlos only charges $150 or so for tuning.

Sublime, nothing. Want to buy my cam and stuff? I'll tune it for free
For a full dyno and street tune? I somehow doubt that. It takes hours to dial in the drivability of big cams for exceptional street manners.

$500 is average for dyno/street tunes in the Houston area. $150 gets you a mail order tune that isn't street tuned with density tuning.

Ask Scott (Lane_change) how nice my car starts and idles. Cruises in 5th and 6th like it's stock.
EViL427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #16
lane_change
CF Senior Member
 
lane_change's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Katy TX
Posts: 2,321
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Mine cruises better now with the high compression heads...but man, I need to get my mild2wild working at idle. Car is just stupid loud right now.
lane_change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #17
rfopt
CF Senior Member
 
rfopt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Location: Crete IL
Posts: 1,000
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
$800-1000

Carlos has nice kits on sale for $750-800. All you need is a cam bolt and some water pump gaskets. It is pretty easy to do yourself.

I'll sell my mamba cam once I pull it out for $250, and you would just have to pick up a spring kit for $200-250 so you could do a cam package for <$500.
How long does it take for you to do a cam kit install ? How long would you expect it to take a novice to do the cam kit install?
rfopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #18
Unreal
CF Senior Member
 
Unreal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Gilbert AZ
Posts: 19,282
Thanked 949 Times in 811 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EViL427 View Post
For a full dyno and street tune? I somehow doubt that. It takes hours to dial in the drivability of big cams for exceptional street manners.

$500 is average for dyno/street tunes in the Houston area. $150 gets you a mail order tune that isn't street tuned with density tuning.

Ask Scott (Lane_change) how nice my car starts and idles. Cruises in 5th and 6th like it's stock.
I agree but for most cams if you tuned enough of them them you can get really close. I would trust carlos has some pretty dang close files for all the cams he has done. $500 is normal and a decent price for a full dyno/street tune.

Cam swap is a day job. 8-10 hours.
Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #19
knockout_tx
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
knockout_tx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/ League City Texas
Posts: 99
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

do any of you guys have vids or sound bites of your car with the cam??????
knockout_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #20
PureSwank
CF Senior Member
 
PureSwank's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2008
Location: Texas Texas
Posts: 2,294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout_tx View Post
do any of you guys have vids or sound bites of your car with the cam??????
What Cam? I'm sure we all have one. You can always you tube it and get a million results on this.
PureSwank is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • [Z06] What is the Avg cost of upgrading a cam in your Z06
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    valve replacement help Stroker87 C5 Tech 1 10-13-2017 08:47 AM
    [Z06] Aftermarket TB & Intake really worth it? kbreese C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 76 02-27-2017 03:21 PM
    What is Reasonable Labor cost for Headers, Cam & Valve Train Install Jet Vet C7 Tech/Performance 1 08-21-2016 10:48 AM
    My horrible experience with FAST/Comp jesse82nc C6 Tech/Performance 27 04-14-2016 10:59 AM
    New To Site With Broken Vette! zman82 Intros 6 04-01-2016 03:08 PM


    Tags
    2007, average, cam, corvette, cost, david, england, green, la, lafayette, lethal, performance, price, shawn, tune, upgrade, zo6

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump

    Sponsored Ads
    Vendor Directory

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:50 AM.


    We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: