Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Well 46K miles 28 track events and 3 cross country rallies and my LS7 died a hard dea

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:17 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by EViL427
425rwhp versus 581rwhp. Add that much to a C5Z and watch what happens after 70+ track days.
It probably would not live to see that number since it was a 400 horse engine to begin with.

I for one am glad the Op is not banging his motor here.

I just wish that either GM or reputable shop would come out and say "24 hours of track time-refresh motor".

Didnt Jason (Katech) say that Vette racers are refreshed after 24 hours of LeMans....anyway....IMO it served OP well. Just seems to me it would be less costly to refresh after certain amount of hours rather than allowing the block to be wiped put when ot does go.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:28 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
425rwhp versus 581rwhp. Add that much to a C5Z and watch what happens after 70+ track days.
I disagree, it is all relative. The OEM LS6 probably put down 340rwhp, so that is big jump to 425rwhp. Also, that was a 5.7 liter with a wet sump. The gains per their respective motors are almost on par and a 7 liter motor should be able to handle the power better than a 5.7 liter. To get 581rwhp out of a LS6 would be a VERY radical motor, not so for the LS7, so your comparison is apples to oranges.

I still think after all these years it seems the LS6 (even modded) has proven to be the most reliable LSX Corvette motor.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Since Aug of 09 I have put 37 track days and 20 some autocrosses on my 08Z. I average ~ 100 miles per track day so that is well over 3K miles of hard high revving driving. Right now it has 23K miles on it.

Bill
Old 08-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Pontiaker
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I disagree, it is all relative. The OEM LS6 probably put down 340rwhp, so that is big jump to 425rwhp. Also, that was a 5.7 liter with a wet sump. The gains per their respective motors are almost on par and a 7 liter motor should be able to handle the power better than a 5.7 liter. To get 581rwhp out of a LS6 would be a VERY radical motor, not so for the LS7, so your comparison is apples to oranges.

I still think after all these years it seems the LS6 (even modded) has proven to be the most reliable LSX Corvette motor.
I agree jersey, 100% The LS6 is a great engine its my opinion that the LS2 is probably next in line.

My Z gets about 20 track days a year, 34k miles and still going strong. BUT Iam not going to just keep driving mine and hope it does not blow, I am at least going to pull the heads, replace the valves and a CNC port while they are off. My car already has a cam and double springs. When one of the springs broke on the freeway, the other kept it from dropping the valve. Would like to add the bigger sump and a couple other small things to help the engine last as long as possible.

Last edited by Pontiaker; 08-18-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:48 AM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but it sounds like it served you well.

I was looking over your list of mods.

I wonder what went bad.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1573950934

..................what a loss..............of money........

Last edited by VNAMVET; 08-18-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:50 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey

Except it's the same basic engine, same block dimensions. But making alot more power.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414
Should these things (engines-like any other) be refreshed after 24-30 hours of track/racing duty? It would be less costly, would it not?
I think this is the right question. Race car engines are replaced or gone through at some periodic frequency which is based on the use and budget. Track day guys like us want to race our cars, but have it last as long as a street only car does. I am starting to think about my engine, and how I use it and what might be appropriate for it.

And to the OP - sorry about your engine, but it does indeed sound like it served you well, and your next one will be even better.

Last edited by Everett Ogilvie; 08-18-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
On aftermarket heads?
They very well might have used OEM exhaust valves.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:11 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Just in case the "see the LS7 sucks" people try and use a heavily modded car as an example. Full disclosure helps see things more clearly.

For the mods and track use I'd say the car held up extremely well.

Good luck to the OP on the rebuild, sounds like it's a fun ride and look forward to seeing it back in action.

OP good luck on the rebuild and keep us posted on the progress. Sorry she let go, but looks like she held up well all things considered.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:11 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mirage2991
It just shows you that when you start racing any combination (sbc, BBC, ls etc) that no matter the parts you put in, they won't last for ever and certainly not 100k of doing so.
At any rate, it will interesting to find out what went!

This is exactly true.

Originally Posted by tim414
Should these things (engines-like any other) be refreshed after 24-30 hours of track/racing duty? It would be less costly, would it not?

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
I think this is the right question. Race car engines are replaced or gone through at some periodic frequency which is based on the use and budget. Track day guys like us want to race our cars, but have it last as long as a street only car does. I am starting to think about my engine, and how I use it and what might be appropriate for it.

And to the OP - sorry about your engine, but it does indeed sound like it served you well, and your next one will be even better.
Bingo. Preventative maintenance should be shuffled over to street/track cars just like race cars. We time parts out on race cars, and do oil analysis', check filters, check and change plugs, change oil after every track day, visually inspect everything.

We have had this discussion before, and I think it needs to be had again. This stuff doesnt last for ever and these engines need refreshing just like any race engine.

Just FWIW, the ALMS GT2 car makes 490 rwhp. Thats very simlilar power to a bolt on Z, and it comes apart every 12 hours for sprint races, and 24 hours for the long races. If we dont rebuild it, we break parts and the cost is 2/3/4/5x as much.

Louis
Old 08-18-2011, 12:47 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
This is exactly true.

Bingo. Preventative maintenance should be shuffled over to street/track cars just like race cars. We time parts out on race cars, and do oil analysis', check filters, check and change plugs, change oil after every track day, visually inspect everything.

We have had this discussion before, and I think it needs to be had again. This stuff doesnt last for ever and these engines need refreshing just like any race engine.

Just FWIW, the ALMS GT2 car makes 490 rwhp. Thats very simlilar power to a bolt on Z, and it comes apart every 12 hours for sprint races, and 24 hours for the long races. If we dont rebuild it, we break parts and the cost is 2/3/4/5x as much.

Louis
but you see Louis, there a few people on these car boards that believe they should last for ever and get oh so pissed off when they don't... (doesn't apply to OP obviously). Then we get a bunch of threads about GM this and that and LS7 this and that...it's just a shame.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:00 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LOUFY
They very well might have used OEM exhaust valves.
They don't say whether or not they do or don't.

http://www.mtiracing.com/C6-Z06-Engine-Upgrades.html
Old 08-18-2011, 01:36 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Maybe he posted it for everyone else since this is a public forum.
C6-Z06 Corvette
Stage II “extreme upgrade
581 RWHP 521 RW torque
7.0L (427 cu.in.) engine package
Includes:
MTI RACING Stainless Steel Long Tube Headers
.065” wall lubing / LS7 / D-port primary tubes / 3” collector.
Random Technologies High-Flow Cats 3” & X-pipes
Callaway "Honker" Cold Air Induction
MTI RACING Ported / Polished 90mm Throttle Body
MTI RACING LS7 Cylinder Heads, High-flow CNC Ported,
hand finished w/ Serdi multi-angle valve job and finishing.
MTI RACING Intake Manifold Ported and port matched
MTI RACING Custom Cam Profile
CNC Valve Spring Retainers,
Nextech Alloy Valve Springs With Hardened Locks
MTI RACING Super Alloy Hardened Spring Seats
Manley 434Chrome Moly Push rods
160 / 180 Thermostat
MTI RACING "Hot Spark" Plug Wires
MTI Racing custom computer programming and dyno tuning
MTI Quick shifter
MTI Aero Package front Splitter and CF Rear Spoiler
HardbarUSA Penske 8760 Coil Over suspension package
Brey Krause Harness bar
John Caravaggio Touring/Track Seats
Breathless Performance Rear Diffuser and exhaust
CCW TE14 18X10 Front 18X13 Rear and Goodyear slicks

VRedZ06 View Public Profile Send a private message to VRedZ06 Send email to VRedZ06 Find More Posts by VRedZ06 Add VRedZ06 to Your Contacts
05-02-2010, 10:19 PM #14 VRedZ06
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '10

2006 Chevrolet Corvette

My Corvette Photos

MTI Racing Stage II Extremem package. Doen 2 yesrs ago and 21K miles on it go issues
C6-Z06 Corvette
C6-Z06 Corvette
Stage II “extreme upgrade
581 RWHP 521 RW torque
7.0L (427 cu.in.) engine package
Includes:
MTI RACING Stainless Steel Long Tube Headers
.065” wall lubing / LS7 / D-port primary tubes / 3” collector.
Random Technologies High-Flow Cats 3” & X-pipes
Callaway "Honker" Cold Air Induction
MTI RACING Ported / Polished 90mm Throttle Body
MTI RACING LS7 Cylinder Heads, High-flow CNC Ported,
hand finished w/ Serdi multi-angle valve job and finishing.
MTI RACING Intake Manifold Ported and port matched
MTI RACING Custom Cam Profile
CNC Valve Spring Retainers,
Nextech Alloy Valve Springs With Hardened Locks
MTI RACING Super Alloy Hardened Spring Seats
Manley 434Chrome Moly Push rods
160 / 180 Thermostat
MTI RACING "Hot Spark" Plug Wires
MTI Racing custom computer programming and dyno tuning
MTI Quick shifter
MTI Aero Package front Splitter and CF Rear Spoiler
HardbarUSA Penske 8760 Coil Over suspension package
Brey Krause Harness bar
John Caravaggio Touring/Track Seats
Breathless Performance Rear Diffuser and exhaust
CCW TE14 18X10 Front 18X13 Rear and Goodyear slicks

I had this posted way back when

New KaTech complete areo package
Breathless Vortec II
MGW shifter withlong ****
Forgeline every day 3 piece rims with Invo's in case it rains.
MTI Extreme front oil cooler with thermostat
MTI Diff and Trans coolers installed in rear brake duct areas
Still finding the perfrcy harness most likely the Let Pilot from TeamTech..

Last edited by VRedZ06; 08-18-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:43 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Ernie, sorry to hear about this, actually VERY sorry

Needless to say I'm probably more interested than your average bear as to what let go, so would really appreciate anything you come up with. Personally I'm at just under 20k miles, but 17k of those are with the stage II extreme package.

Gotta admit, I had already been thinking about checking my valve springs, this might get me to do it sooner than I was planning.

As for blocks, I really don't think going with iron is the best idea, particularly given the way you like to use your car. If you were into drag racing with big N2O loads or turbos I would make more sense. Adding a 100+ lbs over the nose of the car is never a great idea.

There's not much doubt the RHS block is the best way to go, but there's also the ERL you could consider.

Cheers, Paul.
Thanks Paul, will really get a serious look at the ERL and thew RHL. I just wanted to see if the nold stell blocks had more staying power.

But my baby did me well, I enjoyed every second I was driving here and every second modifying her.

Will post info as it come available.

Thanks to all the members with good wishes
Old 08-18-2011, 02:01 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Thanks for the great words from everyone. The yearly or bi yearly pull the covers check the heads and general maintenance is something I will consider in the future. As with most of ud we are trying to do all we can do as much as we can do it and track weekend verses open up the engine after every 12 track days is a question I would answer like this, hey Lime Rock again or bring it to Joe's shop for a check up?? Line Rock!!!~!!!

Hey I pushed her hard on the track and I have had a lot of FUN, b een on the cover of Corvette Enthusiast and made countless new friends !!! and that's why I purchased her and had the mods done. I expect a reasonable cost to bring her back to life. Wish I was more capable mechanic but I have her in good hands so reports will come in and out as I get them.

Thank you all for your encouragement.

ErnieO[/quote]
Old 08-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by VRedZ06
Since I'm in NJ if someone's in need of money and has a LS7 or a steel block LSX7 (I think that the model), I'm looking for a deal!
Just posted: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...nd-07-z06.html

Otherwise a moment of silence for this Z06 and the 46,000 miles of reliable service, and fun, it delivered.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Really sorry to hear of the failure Ernie. I'm sure its upsetting either way.

Curious of the following:
Which valves were in the heads
Were the springs ever rechecked
What condition are the roller rockers in
Was the tune ever rechecked

Thanks and heres to a speedy recovery

Get notified of new replies

To Well 46K miles 28 track events and 3 cross country rallies and my LS7 died a hard dea

Old 08-18-2011, 04:18 PM
68-427Rich
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Pop Plunk Bang

These "LS" series, computerized engines are proving to be more failure prone every day.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:21 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Landru
Just posted: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...nd-07-z06.html

Otherwise a moment of silence for this Z06 and the 46,000 miles of reliable service, and fun, it delivered.

they already sold the engine. They move fast when the price inright.
Thanks for looking and sending me the email.
ErnieO
Old 08-18-2011, 05:27 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Fartpipe
Really sorry to hear of the failure Ernie. I'm sure its upsetting either way.

Curious of the following:
Which valves were in the heads
Were the springs ever rechecked
What condition are the roller rockers in
Was the tune ever rechecked

Thanks and heres to a speedy recovery
There's build sheet on the post further up. Also the car was just down at MTI for 2 months doing some new oil, dif and trans cooling rads, roll bar attached to the aluminum frame with Stainless sleeves and I had asked them to check the engine while it was there. So I hope they did do it. The destruction happened so fast at such a low rev and sounded that I was just surprised. I though I had a exhaust gasket go on me since the original noise sounded just like a blown exhaust gasket does.

I will get as much info on the forum as I can.

Thanks to all my Z06 Brothers out the for the encouraging words.
ErnieO

Quick Reply: [Z06] Well 46K miles 28 track events and 3 cross country rallies and my LS7 died a hard dea