Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Akrapovic Install Issue????

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:40 AM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Akrapovic Install Issue????

HI,

Decided to finally install the Akra's, after having them sit in the garage for like 3 months!

Anyway, when I went to dismount the vacuum canister's from the oem cans to the Akra's, i noticed that I have no way to mount/tighten the lower nut to the vacuum canister? I never saw this mentioned before, and I have many tools available to me, but the only way I saw to get to it would be to disassemble the valve. (Which I don't want to do.)

***More problems***
The way the Akra's position the canister's, makes it such that there isn't a way to connect them to the oem hard lines? In Akra's pics, they show a rubber vacuum line, but mine are hard plastic until the last 1", where it transitions to rubber, and also steps down. Are we supposed to be swapping out the hardlines, and using rubber instead? What size? Will need a reducer as well... what a PITA!!! I figured I would have trouble getting the stock cans out, as they were modified with cutouts, and the flange on the over-axle pipe, prevented me from getting out the right side without reverting to a sawzall, but I expected better engineering fitment of the Akra's, considering the costs involved. What does a 1-2ft of rubber hose cost...a $1 or $2.

***Update: Looking closely at the install pics, I see that the canister bracket's on my muffler's are opposite. On mine, the bracket support is facing towards the rear of the car, blocking any access to tighten the nut, whereas on Akra's pic's there is clear access

Now the million dollar question, there is a locking tab on the center nut, if I bend that back, it might snap, and then I have no way of ensuring that the nut doesn't work loose over time. I could use red loctite, but not sure if that will be enough. I will contact Jim, whom I bought them from, and hopefully he can assist in getting replacement bracket's sent out, or direct me on what to do.

I don't consider myself a novice, but rather an accomplished wrencher, having many modded vehicles and doing almost everything myself. So am I missing something here? I have chosen to just use the 2 mounts, as they appear to be tight enough.

Haven't finished installing them yet, but I hope they sound as advertised....

Last edited by edmundu; 09-03-2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: More issues...
Old 09-03-2011, 10:48 AM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

Great News!!!!

Ok, so Akrapovic says the actuator's are not symmetrical, and should not be reversed. Well, I bought my Z used, and I know it had the cans removed for cutout's, as well as the nitrous installation. The N20 required the tank to be supported from underneath, with thick aluminum bars to give the cargo floor enough structural rigidity. Perhaps in those r&r's the canister's were swapped?

I decided to swap the actuator's, and I was able to get them to point the vacuum port towards the rear of the car, like oem. My next hurdle was I had snapped a stud on one of them, and a second one was partially cross threaded. When I was removing them, I noticed that they felt like they were put on cross threaded, either from the factory, or someone afterwards. So with great luck, the broken stud was just long enough to allow me to put the nut on for 2-3 turns. I then found a small little 8mm open end wrench, which I used to painstakingly thread & tighten the last stud behind the actuator rod. I also used some antiseize to help with getting the nut on, and making it a little easier to turn.

Wheeeww..... They are in, and I am in the process of tightening up the rest of the piping, as well as the swaybar links, subframe bolts, etc....

Tip: For those that received their akra'a with bent pipes, from shipping damage, I was able to use an exhaust pipe expander I picked up from Harbor freight to make them round again! IT was pretty inexpensive, $15 or so, and allowed me to correct it at home
Old 09-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

I'm glad you got it figured out. Just yesterday I was reading through the Akra installation instructions and as I read your first post I was thinking that the actuators may have gotten switched around. I'm having a shop put mine on next week. Do you have any advice that I should pass on to them before they start? By the way, don't forget to post your impressions on the sound and maybe a vid if you can.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:41 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
I'm glad you got it figured out. Just yesterday I was reading through the Akra installation instructions and as I read your first post I was thinking that the actuators may have gotten switched around. I'm having a shop put mine on next week. Do you have any advice that I should pass on to them before they start? By the way, don't forget to post your impressions on the sound and maybe a vid if you can.
Hey Les, you finally decided on the Akras! Next time you're in Contra Costa, let's meet up. Willie
Old 09-03-2011, 01:45 PM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

I will certainly update with my impressions

As for advice, definitely lower the rear cradle, that 1" or so does alot! The remaining is just paying attention to how it came out. Like the orientation of the actuator's. And if they don't line up right as there supposed to, don't be afraid to swap them around to get it right. At first I was just following the instructions to a tee, and usually it is accurate, but sometimes it should just be a guide line. (On my install, I had to deal with extra's, qtp cutout's & nitrous tank bracing, that others would not.)

In my haste, I posted up a bit early, but I was a little cranky/tired, so in hindsight I could have waited. But then there wouldn't have been any drama
Old 09-03-2011, 02:14 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad that you got it sorted out. Please remember to post up videos and/or impressions as soon as you can if possible.

Btw thanks for the drama. Hahahaha
Old 09-03-2011, 05:33 PM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

First impressions:

Deep bass in the exhaust at idle. Very authoratative. Under light throttle with flaps open it is much like what I was hoping for...that is a deep bassy note, clearly depicting a large V8 lurks underhood. and as the rpm's rise it starts to transform into a higher note, kinda like others have described as F1 like. With flaps closed, a little louder than the oem cans were with flaps closed, but still you can easily carry a conversation or answer the cell if needed.

I LOVE the exhaust!!! I have within minutes of firing her up forgotten all about any install headaches. The cut finger's, the cursing because I couldn't get the pass muffler out, the debacle with the actuator's, all a distant memory

One caveuat I didn't expect was that with the deep exhaust note, there are now a few interior trim panel's that resonate at certain rpm/throttle positions. I will try to track those down, and find a resolution, but that is a minor thing to me, as this is not a DD, but a toy!

I will attempt to get video sometime this weekend, but no promises, as I have irritated the Mrs. and I have company over for the holiday weekend....
Old 09-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by 383vett
Hey Les, you finally decided on the Akras! Next time you're in Contra Costa, let's meet up. Willie
Willie,
Yea I finally took the leap! I figure if there's drone I'll use a couple of pretty good sound barriers. I'm almost never in your area so maybe some day we can pick a spot between us to meet that would allow both of us to take a nice drive...or if you are ever in my area let me know and I'll throw some road kill on the grill and even supply the cold beverages!

Originally Posted by edmundu

As for advice, definitely lower the rear cradle, that 1" or so does alot! The remaining is just paying attention to how it came out. Like the orientation of the actuator's. And if they don't line up right as there supposed to, don't be afraid to swap them around to get it right. At first I was just following the instructions to a tee, and usually it is accurate, but sometimes it should just be a guide line. (On my install, I had to deal with extra's, qtp cutout's & nitrous tank bracing, that others would not.)

In my haste, I posted up a bit early, but I was a little cranky/tired, so in hindsight I could have waited. But then there wouldn't have been any drama
Hey, around here we love drama! Thanks for the advice. My system is factory and has never been tampered with so the actuators should be where they belong. I noticed that the Akra instructions provide torque values for the involved fasteners.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:14 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

Hi Edmund,

Just now seeing this....read your thread and see you got it sorted out.

Sorry I did not see this sooner.

So was there anything wrong with the actuator mounting brackets or the Akrapovic system in any way? It sounds like everything was related to your car being modified and getting the stock system out (which can be a real bitch on some Z06's, just depends on the year. Getting the over the axle pipe out on the passenger side can be a nightmare). I have never had a Akrapovic install issue related to the design of the Akrapovic, can you elaborate on what the real issues were so I can give feedback to Akarapovic?

Thanks,

Jim

Great News!!!!

Ok, so Akrapovic says the actuator's are not symmetrical, and should not be reversed. Well, I bought my Z used, and I know it had the cans removed for cutout's, as well as the nitrous installation. The N20 required the tank to be supported from underneath, with thick aluminum bars to give the cargo floor enough structural rigidity. Perhaps in those r&r's the canister's were swapped?

I decided to swap the actuator's, and I was able to get them to point the vacuum port towards the rear of the car, like oem. My next hurdle was I had snapped a stud on one of them, and a second one was partially cross threaded. When I was removing them, I noticed that they felt like they were put on cross threaded, either from the factory, or someone afterwards. So with great luck, the broken stud was just long enough to allow me to put the nut on for 2-3 turns. I then found a small little 8mm open end wrench, which I used to painstakingly thread & tighten the last stud behind the actuator rod. I also used some antiseize to help with getting the nut on, and making it a little easier to turn.

Wheeeww..... They are in, and I am in the process of tightening up the rest of the piping, as well as the swaybar links, subframe bolts, etc....

Tip: For those that received their akra'a with bent pipes, from shipping damage, I was able to use an exhaust pipe expander I picked up from Harbor freight to make them round again! IT was pretty inexpensive, $15 or so, and allowed me to correct it at home
Old 09-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Les
Race Director

First impressions:

Deep bass in the exhaust at idle. Very authoratative. Under light throttle with flaps open it is much like what I was hoping for...that is a deep bassy note, clearly depicting a large V8 lurks underhood. and as the rpm's rise it starts to transform into a higher note, kinda like others have described as F1 like. With flaps closed, a little louder than the oem cans were with flaps closed, but still you can easily carry a conversation or answer the cell if needed.

I LOVE the exhaust!!! I have within minutes of firing her up forgotten all about any install headaches. The cut finger's, the cursing because I couldn't get the pass muffler out, the debacle with the actuator's, all a distant memory

One caveuat I didn't expect was that with the deep exhaust note, there are now a few interior trim panel's that resonate at certain rpm/throttle positions. I will try to track those down, and find a resolution, but that is a minor thing to me, as this is not a DD, but a toy!

I will attempt to get video sometime this weekend, but no promises, as I have irritated the Mrs. and I have company over for the holiday weekend....
Thanks for the update- glad you're liking the new sounds. I'm 3 days away from my install and I'm definitely getting anxious to get it done. Enjoy the weekend, keep the Mrs. happy, and we'll be looking forward to the vid.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:36 PM
athaynes
Advanced

I just wanted to +1 on swapping the actuators. I followed the instructions to the letter as well, but the actuators did not look like the pictures until I swapped them. I bought my supposedly stock 09 Z used with a few thousand miles on it. That is what I get for reading the instructions
Old 08-05-2012, 04:39 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Had mine installed about 2 months ago, have not regretted it for a moment. For me, the best exhaust option since I can still use the actuators, and do not want it to sound like a stock car. Also, my car is on a weight reduction program.

Get notified of new replies

To Akrapovic Install Issue????

Quick Reply: [Z06] Akrapovic Install Issue????