Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Drive train noise

Old 09-03-2011, 02:48 PM
dcdan
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive train noise

I have a clunking noise in the drive train noticable mainly in 1st and 2nd gear. It clunks when you lightly get on and off the gas. I took it to the dealer and had it checked out and they said it was normal. It doesn't sound normal to me. I put it up on a lift and moved one of the wheels back and forth and it makes the clunking sound. Sounds like it's coming from the tranny. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what's the cure?
Old 09-03-2011, 04:18 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Does it just happen when the car is loaded? Can you get it to do it applying a load from the clutch with the parking brake on? Can you get it to do it going from R to 1st?

Only reason I ask, I had a C5 in here earlier this week, and quoted roughly the same issue. In the parking lot it was coming from slop in the passenger side rear wheel bearing/axle assembly, not the trans or clutch.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:44 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

my guess, rear drivetrain somewhere.........driveshaft/u-joints/diff gear carrier.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:38 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
my guess, rear drivetrain somewhere.........driveshaft/u-joints/diff gear carrier.
My 08 did exactly the same thing. Torqued the axle nuts to 160. Cured the problem completely.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:43 PM
dcdan
Heel & Toe

I can hear it when changing from forward to reverse and vice versa. Acts to me like there is slack somewhere in the trans. As I said before I can hear the clunk when turning a rear wheel back and forth while up on the lift and the clunk sounds like it is at the transmission.
I never tried to move the car back and forth with the emergency brake on.
I did retorque the axle nuts...made no difference.
Some times I hear it when backing out of the garage.
Thanks for the replies. Any other ideas?
Old 09-03-2011, 10:48 PM
naradz06
Instructor

I have the same exact problem. Wanting an answer too.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I see this problem when there is too much end play on the ring and pinion gears. Oviously that's not normal and it's usual sign of gears wearing out.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Yep, it could be u-joints, only problem stock Corvettes don't have them.

Originally Posted by dcdan
I have a clunking noise in the drive train noticable mainly in 1st and 2nd gear. It clunks when you lightly get on and off the gas. I took it to the dealer and had it checked out and they said it was normal. It doesn't sound normal to me. I put it up on a lift and moved one of the wheels back and forth and it makes the clunking sound. Sounds like it's coming from the tranny. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what's the cure?
Dc Dan, are you new to Corvettes? All Corvettes have some driveline noise that is untypical compared to other vehicles. If you quickly let off the throttle in first or second gear you will hear a clunk type noise. Keep in mind that the propshaft rotates at engine speed. The inertia due to this higher rpm doesn’t like quick changes in speed, causing the clunk type noises. I would suggest contacting some other Corvette owners in your area and have someone familiar with Corvettes experience the noise and get their opinion.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:35 PM
dcdan
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Eric D
Yep, it could be u-joints, only problem stock Corvettes don't have them.

Dc Dan, are you new to Corvettes? All Corvettes have some driveline noise that is untypical compared to other vehicles. If you quickly let off the throttle in first or second gear you will hear a clunk type noise. Keep in mind that the propshaft rotates at engine speed. The inertia due to this higher rpm doesn’t like quick changes in speed, causing the clunk type noises. I would suggest contacting some other Corvette owners in your area and have someone familiar with Corvettes experience the noise and get their opinion.

Yes, I am new to the late model Corvettes. I just got my 09 Z06 on 06/27/11. It was a one owner Certified car with 10,384 miles on it. The original owner was a 50 yr old lady. Fact! Anyway, the car is just like new except for the clunk in the drive train. I will check with other Z06 owners in the area and see if they are experiencing this kind of noise.
Thanks.

Last edited by dcdan; 09-07-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

dcdan – could you send me a private message with your VIN so I could look into this?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 09-07-2011, 11:21 AM
dcdan
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
dcdan – could you send me a private message with your VIN so I could look into this?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Private message sent.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:28 AM
XDNAVETT77
Instructor

hi laura i have the same thing one my 2009 3lt ls3 please can you check mine to

Get notified of new replies

To Drive train noise

Search this Thread