Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Blown engine 2009 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:47 PM
#1hand
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My best friend was driving it, and at about 5000 rpm in third it sounds like it dropped a valve.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dcsteg
I really think it all boils down to what dealership you are dealing with.
From my experience, the dealer and the local engineering rep is the key. If they are on your side you will do OK. If either one is not, you're in for a big arguement.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:19 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by #1hand
My best friend was driving it, and at about 5000 rpm in third it sounds like it dropped a valve.
Sorry for the mishap. Did this happen on the street?

When you say "stock" do you mean showroom stock? Stock tune?
Old 03-18-2012, 02:28 PM
#1hand
Burning Brakes

The motor was stock down to the paper air filter, It did have a street turn on it. And two days before it happened I was at RPM and got the 4.10 conversion. and yes it happened on the street.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:39 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

The motor was stock down to the paper air filter, It did have a street turn on it. And two days before it happened I was at RPM and got the 4.10 conversion. and yes it happened on the street.

Again, sorry for the mishap and I hope you get back on the road in short order.

On a side note, what made you decide to go with 4.10s as opposed to 3.73s?

Also was your street tune a "fuel economy" type tune designed to improve gas mileage, or a "performance oriented" type tune designed to lean out the factory tune which tends to run rich?

Was it done with a wide band so that you knew your A/F ratios?

If so, what kind of power was the car making at the rear wheels and what were the A/F ratios?

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to get a feel for what might or might not be a "safe" tune.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:12 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Tune means a good reason for denial of the warranty claim. I hope they don't check it.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I really think it all boils down to what dealership you are dealing with.

If it's Joe blow Chevrolet who sells an occasional Corvette then your not going to get cut any slack.

On the other hand if your dealing with a dealer that show cases Corvettes, I'll give you an example: Superior Chevrolet, Hendrick owned, Merriam Ks, then you have a better chance of getting your issues taken care of. I know for sure they take care of their Corvette owners. My salesman friend who races and tracks a furnished Z06 would be my go between if I needed help. Since my new Z06 was quite a step up for me they offered and helped me on how to really drive this car. The offer to attend a driving school at their discounted price and get me involved in Heartland Park, Topeka KS, to track the car is in the offering. Bottom line: if I track the car and something goes down, I am going to be covered. I also have the optional bumper to bumper 5 year warranty and the six free oil changes.
The dealership I go to doesn't sell Corvettes. I have been told the owner has decided not to sell them. When I ordered my 97 from them it was the only car they were allocated and they only got 1 or 2 allocations per year after that so they just stopped selling them. However, there are quite a few Vettes of all years that get serviced there. My car was the second Z06 that had its engine replaced in their shop.

Bill
Old 03-18-2012, 03:25 PM
#1hand
Burning Brakes

its back stock now, the 4.10s made the car crazy fast for two days lol. it was tuned when i got the car.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:57 PM
#1hand
Burning Brakes

yeah the tune that was on basically took the torque management out of it, but it sounds to me like it lost a valve the way he was explaining it to me, I haven't seen it yet but i'm not going to take the cover off it LOL. It's going to the dealer tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

yeah the tune that was on basically took the torque management out of it, but it sounds to me like it lost a valve the way he was explaining it to me, I haven't seen it yet but i'm not going to take the cover off it LOL. It's going to the dealer tomorrow.
Did you buy it from private party or a dealership with the tune in it? Did you know when you bought it that GM will deny warranty claims when a non stock tune is detected ??

I may have to withdraw my previous optimistic outlook

Good luck !!!

DH
Old 03-18-2012, 07:44 PM
#1hand
Burning Brakes

I got from a dealership with the tune in it, I didn't know it did until I took it to my friends shop and he data logged it. It will have the stock tune in it when it goes to the dealership.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:18 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

I got from a dealership with the tune in it, I didn't know it did until I took it to my friends shop and he data logged it. It will have the stock tune in it when it goes to the dealership.
Won't matter. If it's not the stock tune that came out of your car, the numbers won't be right and it will show up like a non stock tune would.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:01 AM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

On the other hand if your dealing with a dealer that show cases Corvettes, I'll give you an example: Superior Chevrolet, Hendrick owned, Merriam Ks, then you have a better chance of getting your issues taken care of. I know for sure they take care of their Corvette owners.
I've bought several cars from Superior, and they are generally very good. With my C6 Z, I was a bit disappointed that I had to replace the rotors at less than 12k miles. I had to pay out of pocket too since it was a few months past 12 months of ownership. Rotors were going to cost almost $300 each until I convinced them to price match their own parts dept and only charge $125 each. 3k miles and a few months later, I had to get the rotors turned. Initially, I was charged for that too until I pointed out that I'd had the rotors replaced recently.

Only engine-related mod I have is a Gen I Halltech intake. If I had a blown motor, I would be hopeful that they'd take care of me, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:57 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by molon labe
I've bought several cars from Superior, and they are generally very good. With my C6 Z, I was a bit disappointed that I had to replace the rotors at less than 12k miles. I had to pay out of pocket too since it was a few months past 12 months of ownership. Rotors were going to cost almost $300 each until I convinced them to price match their own parts dept and only charge $125 each. 3k miles and a few months later, I had to get the rotors turned. Initially, I was charged for that too until I pointed out that I'd had the rotors replaced recently.

Only engine-related mod I have is a Gen I Halltech intake. If I had a blown motor, I would be hopeful that they'd take care of me, but I wouldn't count on it.
The OEM Z06 rotors can be bought for $68 each if I recall correctly, so $125 is still way overpriced.

Since you go through them very fast, are you warping the rotors by any chance? Also are you using OEM pads? If you're damaging the rotors that fast while using the OEM or other street pads, perhaps you're overheating them. Is there a mountain-road around with a long down-hill section that you go through often? If you go through such roads often, do you drive easy on the brakes before you stop your car to cool down the brakes?

In short, I'd highly recommend that you review your driving habits and see if there are any roads where you overheat your rotors with no time to cool them down.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:54 PM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

They said the original rotors were slightly warped. I've always used OEM pads. I live in KS/MO and we don't really have any mountains or hills worth mentioning.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:03 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

#1hand, how did it work out?

mirage2991, there is a site you can go to that allows you to input your vehicle's VIN to get the exact tune specs and restore your tune to as it left the factory. Just fyi.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Blown engine 2009 Z06