Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Traded in the z06 on a Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:46 PM
meanmike
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love it! I cant wait o add a Vet to my garage.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:55 AM
jfaphoenix32
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

we have been racing the 2011 Mustang GT since January with the aforementioned getrag trans... 11 races and many test days with absolutely no transmission problems.. Or problems of any kind..

It is a very capable car!!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:54 AM
Vette_Pilot
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

Wow!!! A woman who actually has a V8 instead of the V6. I guess it's not a true "Chick Car" after all!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:30 AM
jdecarlo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by screaminchevy
whew! i almost freaked out. i'm not a ford fan, but those new 5.0's can be a heck of a drag car. I've seen a few guys throw on the new Kenny Bell supercharger and get 800rwhp with some light mods. it's no joke on the drag strip, but that straight axle suspension isn't going to help you any in the corners!
You are correct, until they finally do something with the suspension it will never hang with even a stock Corvette on any course that has curves on it. I had a 07 Shelby and it did pretty well on the straights but I almost lost it a few times on a curve. I finally got rid of it when I spun it out on Interstate 5 in a Construction zone after hitting a patch of uneven pavement.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:42 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one, lol. When I started reading I was thinking, OMG that is the stupidest reason to sell a Z06 ever!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:14 PM
SpudMuffin
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I was really curious about the Stang as a daily driver and have a great deal of respect for Ford's performance as a company the past few years. I recently test drove the GT with the 3.73 rear end and performance brake option. The salesperson let me take it out solo soooo, I thought I'd push it a bit. The engine is fantastic! Sounds amazing and is very, very smooth pulling from 2,000 to 6,300 (700 below redline--I wasn't going to push it to the point of destruction...) The brakes were good, but I don't think they'd last long on track days especially on shorter courses. (I suspect the base GT brakes might actually suck, so the Brembos really aren't an option in my mind.) There was a slight amount of fade under successively hard braking. Nothing crazy, so I'd reserve judgment here. The big disappointment was transient handling and too much understeer for my tastes. It's very controllable, but the car absolutely wallows compared to the Z06. It has impressive grip (again, nothing like the Z) and is very easy to handle at the limit in a sweeping turn, but will not impress anyone who wants to weave through the cones. I have not driven the Camaro (I can tell I'd hate the visibility just by looking at it) or the Challenger (ugh...) but this is the lightest of the three muscle car re-inventions. In short, I really liked the car. Like the Z06, for the money, it's a steal in it's class, but not anywhere near comparable (i.e., Budget Muscle Car vs. Budget Supercar)

I don't know much about the new 5.0 liter, but it just feels like it has a ton of aftermarket potential. I loved that engine. If they could stuff it in a Focus...
Old 10-12-2011, 11:46 PM
azschmeh
Intermediate

I have to admit - if I didn't love my GS so much, my wife's GT500 would be next in line. I LOVE driving that car. There is an amazing amount of controllable power at your fingertips, and it is just the true epitome of American muscle. Rolling on that throttle and feeling that much weight accelerating as quickly as it does...it just bullies the air out of the way. It's a much different feeling than when we step on the gas in our Vettes and slice through the air, ya know? However, as much as I like her car, her transmission SUCKS. You don't know how lucky we are to have the gearbox we do with the Chevy...
Old 10-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Adding the Ford racing Adjustable suspension from the Boss should take care of most of the handling. Then again it will never be a z06. It shouldn't be compared with a corvette. Two different leagues. Compared to the camaros I've driven it definately feels more solid and less body roll. Noticeably quicker too. We have ~600 miles on it and we are still loving it. The sync is really nice. The interior fit and finish is really nice. No noises, rattles, or anything so far.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

The 5.0L is so awesome I started to swap one into my z06. I figured it would be quicker to get a 5.0 in it then wait on Texas Speed for my new heads.

Tint and GT500 wing on the Mustang.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:49 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

From what it sounds like with your heads you are probably right, it would be quicker to put the 5.0 in it. Imagine the aneurisms you'd give the purists.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:04 AM
meatheadgn
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am glad that the car came out well with the spoiler and paint work. I will come over with my large tube of JB weld, several hammers and a roll of duct tape so we can finish the engine swap.
My saying has always been
"Measure it with a laser, mark it with chalk, cut it with a torch"
Old 10-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Dream C-5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by azschmeh
Saw this post and had to post a pic of our garage. Wifey has the 2011 Shelby GT500 SVT on the left, and I just picked up the 2010 Grand Sport on the right. She won't race me yet, but I think it's because she just learned how to drive a stick 2 months ago

I told her I'd give her 6 months

Nice garage !
Old 10-22-2011, 12:37 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream C-5
Nice garage !
Indeed!
Old 10-22-2011, 12:42 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I would take the Mustang GT over the new Camaro any day. Real nice car for the money. Looks better and gts better mileage too.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Stang's Bane
Racer

I have to admit - if I didn't love my GS so much, my wife's GT500 would be next in line. I LOVE driving that car. There is an amazing amount of controllable power at your fingertips, and it is just the true epitome of American muscle. Rolling on that throttle and feeling that much weight accelerating as quickly as it does...it just bullies the air out of the way. It's a much different feeling than when we step on the gas in our Vettes and slice through the air, ya know? However, as much as I like her car, her transmission SUCKS. You don't know how lucky we are to have the gearbox we do with the Chevy...

They are basically the same transmission...
Old 10-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

What's worse? The GT500 tranny or the C6Z clutch.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:53 PM
azschmeh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
They are basically the same transmission...
I may have misspoke - I was referring to how crappy the shifting is in the GT500, not the transmission... My bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Traded in the z06 on a Mustang

Old 10-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Finished the mods on the mustang. Just got the GT500 diffuser on. Now time to work on the vette.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:39 AM
05cammedc6
Instructor

Default agreed

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
Hard to argue with the value of the new 5.0, congrats. I only see them going 12.9 @ 110 AT BEST at the track, so for those wondering no, it absolutely will not keep up with a C6 unless Helen Keller is driving it.
I drove one myself, from my friends car dealer, it was so quiet, i didnt even realize it was on, wasnt really impressed with the power, not sure if it was because i was at 4500 ft elev, but it really wasnt what I expected....
Old 10-23-2011, 11:50 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
From what it sounds like with your heads you are probably right, it would be quicker to put the 5.0 in it. Imagine the aneurisms you'd give the purists.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Traded in the z06 on a Mustang