Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] New NT05's are breaking in nice. A couple questions..

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:18 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Default New NT05's are breaking in nice. A couple questions..

Discount Tire (DT) installed new Nitto NT05's on the 08 Z. The advice from DT was to stay out of it for 100 miles. The tires have 90 miles on the new rubber and I'm looking forward to hanging some corners!! The tires do feel like they exhibit some roll that does not happen with the PS2's or Supercar tires. Not sure if that will intensify before taking a set at higher speeds.

Something troubling is the car appears 1/2" (i didn't measure) higher than with the Michelin PS2 run flats and Goodyear Supercars (factory). The drastic change so far is the plastic underneath the front would normally scraped badley going into and out of my garage and with the Nittos on the car does not scrape for more than a split second going in and out of my garage.

The neighbors are probably happy as they don't hear the scraping at 2 AM now

Any ideas on why such a drastic change in ride height?

Sizes:
275/35 ZR18 99W (FRONTS;Sizes that went on the car are verified)
335/30 ZR19 103W (Sizes verified)
Old 10-09-2011, 10:23 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's exactly what I'm running also, but I they shouldn't have lifted the car at all. I mean nothing. As far as "rolling" the NT05 is actually a stiffer tire as it is designed for road racing and still street driving. I wasn't told to stay out of it for 100 miles, so from day 1 I was flooring it and enjoying having traction (unlike my previous PS2's). I have absolutely no idea why your car would appear lower ...
Old 10-09-2011, 11:02 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Thanks for sharing your experience, sounds like something is up with my car.

BTW, the car appears higher not lower

From analyzing the situation I figured the tire shop ripped out whatever was scraping from driving the car on a lift. Looking under the car in the front, I don't see the air knife. That would make sense because the Z06 is a top feeder.

Could the suspension get "sticky"? Meaning, could it be stuck from the car jacked in the air and it has not settled or the shocks are busted (guessing)?
Old 10-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Squishy
Instructor

You should love the NT05 - I ran 285/35/18 and 335/30/19 when I had them on my car to keep aspect ratio close to oem. Note Nitto's NT05 runs a little bigger than Goodyear in OEM sizes - that would be normal.

The tires will roll a little more in corners compared to a runflat since they are not that stiff. Only non runflat tire that is stiffer on the sidewall than any runflat I know of were the Bridgestone RE070 - watched a Discount tire high school kid using a prybar to try and get the tire off a rim and he needed another guy to help push down on the bar to get it off.

The reason they tell you to take it easy on new tires is due to the release agent on tires to allow them to get out of the mold during manufacturing. It will tend to make the tire a little greasy until you wear it off. 100 miles would be a safe distance to make sure that is worn off the tire before getting adventurous.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:28 AM
Carnac
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

I have NT 05s that I use for HPDE days at Spring Mountain Motorsports. The set I have (285/35-18 and 335/30-19) do indeed raise the car slightly. I swap back and forth between the Nittos and OEM GY about five times a year. Speed bumps and my driveway that I scrape with OEM don't with the NT 05s.

As to being being stiffer - the NT 05s are no way stiffer. Their sidewall is quite a bit softer than any of the run flats (such as OEM GY).

I agree that the 100 mile "take it easy" suggestion is to get rid of any release agent.

I like the NT 05s - a little less ultimate grip vs OEM, but much more predictable, making driving up to loss of grip much easier. They are also a little quieter than OEM. And the price is right.

I still like the security of run flats for everyday driving, but have taken long trips on non-run flats (always carry a patch kit and good compressor).

To the OP - I doubt anything is wrong with your car.

Just enjoy your new tires.

Jim

Last edited by Carnac; 10-10-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:38 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

What do you guys mean by ultimate grip? I could spin the stock run flats at 75mph and my NT05s dead hook from 55mph. The stock runflats are the worst tires I've ever had and extremely loud
Old 10-10-2011, 01:11 AM
KLRBEE2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sub'd
Old 10-10-2011, 01:31 AM
Madclown
Advanced

I just put the same tires on my 08 Z at Discount as well. What did you end up paying? I paid 1,400.00. Thought they would be less expensive. Also my stock GY fronts were showing the belts on the very inside of the tread. My car has 13,000 mi. Was thinking I will have to take it to the Dealer for an alignment....
Old 10-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by 07cobaltss/sc
What do you guys mean by ultimate grip? I could spin the stock run flats at 75mph and my NT05s dead hook from 55mph. The stock runflats are the worst tires I've ever had and extremely loud
The GY RFs grip deteriorates after only a few thousand miles, so they were probably greasy by the time you replaced them even if there was good tread left on them. Once the GYs reach that point the NT05s will easily out grip them.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:23 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks to this thread, I think I've decided to go with NT-05s as my new set of tires. Much less expensive than the PS2s and seem to grip pretty well. I also like the tread pattern a bit better too. Its a bit aggressive. Will be calling up my local America's Tire to setup an appointment.

Glad to know they hook up when giving it some gas. I still have worn GYs that spin between 50-75mph in 2nd and it sucks.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:34 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Sounds like there are no issues with my tires/car .

Summary:
1) The release agent on the tire is from the mold at the factory. Hearing that refreshed my memory of conversation w/Discount Tire and he said the same things. I also experienced abnormal slippage, greasy tires was a great way to describe it!
2) The Nitto brand has a bit larger size even w/same advertised sizes
3) The Nitto NT05 will roll more on turn in compared to a run flat
4) The height does change on some cars because of #2.

The roll on turn in will take some practice/getting used to. Normally when the car moves like that I'm thinking I lost a bit of traction. Not a big deal, I can unlearn that and save $500+ compared to the PS2's

Madclown:
Paid $1,486.63 interest free loan (Discount CC)
Price includes $128.63 WA tax & I had declined tire insurance
Ordered tires on Monday afternoon and was tooling around town with them on Friday. Two had to come from Michigan so it took longer than normal.

Regarding your wear..same situation here with the RHS tire (PS2 run flats). If you get an alignment, consider a performance shop that would let you sit in the drivers seat while adjustments are made to get the angles perfect/close as possible.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:59 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Thanks to this thread, I think I've decided to go with NT-05s as my new set of tires. Much less expensive than the PS2s and seem to grip pretty well. I also like the tread pattern a bit better too. Its a bit aggressive. Will be calling up my local America's Tire to setup an appointment.

Glad to know they hook up when giving it some gas. I still have worn GYs that spin between 50-75mph in 2nd and it sucks.
Yup here they are in action. before if i tried this traction control would flip out and shut me down

Look on ebay I got mine for 727shipped no tax for the rears
Old 10-10-2011, 11:41 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Madclown
I just put the same tires on my 08 Z at Discount as well. What did you end up paying? I paid 1,400.00. Thought they would be less expensive. Also my stock GY fronts were showing the belts on the very inside of the tread. My car has 13,000 mi. Was thinking I will have to take it to the Dealer for an alignment....
Discount Tire Direct (online) will sell you a set for less than $1000, and offers free delivery and no salestax. BUT my LOCAL Discount Tire store has offered to MATCH any Discount Tire online price AND mount and balance FREE.....(but you have to pay sales tax)
Old 10-10-2011, 08:10 PM
jwbert
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default NT05's

I find that on the track, the NT05's are a little slippery
until you get them warmed up and then need to watch the
pressure when hot, once over 38# they loose some grip again.
When properly warmed they are great. They seem to like 36 to 38# hot.
In the rain, on the track, thePS2's would run circles around you, on the
street as well for that matter.I paid around $1000 at Discount Tire
as well, mounted and balanced

Last edited by jwbert; 10-10-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:42 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Z06_Mir
That's exactly what I'm running also, but I they shouldn't have lifted the car at all. I mean nothing. As far as "rolling" the NT05 is actually a stiffer tire as it is designed for road racing and still street driving. I wasn't told to stay out of it for 100 miles, so from day 1 I was flooring it and enjoying having traction (unlike my previous PS2's). I have absolutely no idea why your car would appear lower ...
The NT05 while very grippy lacks rigidity and has softer sidewalls than the PS2s and the runflat GY's. It is NOT a stiffer tire.

I have NT05s as well and love them. I miss the stiff sidewalls of the GY's but it makes up in traction...I can live with a little softer sidewalls.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:27 AM
ferravette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I totally agree with the 100 mile break in period. I was all over the place the first weeks i had mine on.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:38 AM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Discount Tire Direct (online) will sell you a set for less than $1000, and offers free delivery and no salestax. BUT my LOCAL Discount Tire store has offered to MATCH any Discount Tire online price AND mount and balance FREE.....(but you have to pay sales tax)
This! But you have to have an account with Direct (and your local discount) for them to honor that. At least that's how it is down here. I've bought probably 5 sets of tires this way and it's awesome. Although I have heard they now charge $5/axle for mount/balance.

Get notified of new replies

To New NT05's are breaking in nice. A couple questions..

Old 10-11-2011, 02:01 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Where are you finding this set for less than $1000? I just price checked Discount Tire Direct & Americas Tire and they come out to be approx $1300 before shipping and taxes.

Looking at 335/30/19 and 285/35/18s.

I even got a 'hookup' with the local Americas Tire and I'm getting them for approx $1100 (before tax, mounting, and balancing). Seems like a pretty good deal to me.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:40 AM
KIWIBOB
Advanced

For all it's worth guys, get your NT05s filled with Nitrogen ,then you will have way less pressure change when there hot and run them at a higher PSI than the run flats.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:44 AM
TapOut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I'm on my third set of NT05's and absolutely love em!!! I also tend to pay around $1100-$1200 on average from Americas Discount Tire. If you think these things have a soft sidewall, try running some INVOS's!!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] New NT05's are breaking in nice. A couple questions..