Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Will a aftermarket extended warranty cover a blown LS7??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:14 PM
miwitte
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Will a aftermarket extended warranty cover a blown LS7??

I purchased a 07 ZO6 about a month again and have been contemplating getting a after market warranty. I specifically looked for a car that was unmolested and not tuned so I could do this. The car is about to run out of its 5yr 100k (in service 11/06). So my local Chevy dealer offered me a warranty through Zurich, Fitchner has one via Vehicle One (which is owned by GMAC and is supposedly connected to GMPP)

Bottom line is there have been some issues with the guides and I am thinking a warranty might be cheap insurance. Question is has anyone had dealing with aftermarket warranties and what are the odds they would cover a 15k LS7?? For $2200 for 5yr 75k miles that pretty cheap insurance on expensive parts. The guy at the dealer by me drives a new 2011 GS and he said if the motor blows it would be covered.

1. ENGINE - All internally Lubricated Parts contained within the Engine, plus the following: Oil Pump; Harmonic
Balancer; Intake and Exhaust manifolds; Timing Belt; Turbocharger/Supercharger; Engine Mounts. Cylinder Block,
Cylinder head(s), Oil Pan, Timing Chain Cover, and Valve Covers, are covered only if they are damaged by failure
of a covered internally lubricated engine part.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:36 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by miwitte
I purchased a 07 ZO6 about a month again and have been contemplating getting a after market warranty. I specifically looked for a car that was unmolested and not tuned so I could do this. The car is about to run out of its 5yr 100k (in service 11/06). So my local Chevy dealer offered me a warranty through Zurich, Fitchner has one via Vehicle One (which is owned by GMAC and is supposedly connected to GMPP)

Bottom line is there have been some issues with the guides and I am thinking a warranty might be cheap insurance. Question is has anyone had dealing with aftermarket warranties and what are the odds they would cover a 15k LS7?? For $2200 for 5yr 75k miles that pretty cheap insurance on expensive parts. The guy at the dealer by me drives a new 2011 GS and he said if the motor blows it would be covered.

1. ENGINE - All internally Lubricated Parts contained within the Engine, plus the following: Oil Pump; Harmonic
Balancer; Intake and Exhaust manifolds; Timing Belt; Turbocharger/Supercharger; Engine Mounts. Cylinder Block,
Cylinder head(s), Oil Pan, Timing Chain Cover, and Valve Covers, are covered only if they are damaged by failure

Uhh yes?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:16 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I have an 06 Z06 with 43k miles and my GMPP extended warranty ends at 46k miles.... The last 3-4 months I've become really paranoid about my motor blowing. Especially since I drive the car a lot since it's my daily driver.

Can I extend my warranty again? Where should I go to find a good price?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:33 PM
VicCaerter
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

You gotta watch them 3rd party companies. They might try to get you a used long block and not a new crate engine. Besides, $2200 may be enough to take care of the situation all together with a few extras thrown in.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by cyi1
I have an 06 Z06 with 43k miles and my GMPP extended warranty ends at 46k miles.... The last 3-4 months I've become really paranoid about my motor blowing. Especially since I drive the car a lot since it's my daily driver.

Can I extend my warranty again? Where should I go to find a good price?
If you have more than 2 months left and are within 3,000 miles on your GMPP you should be able to. Best prices on GMPP here is Dennis Fichnter, a forum vendor, look him up and he will tell you EXACTLY where you stand.

Here is his email and info on the exact question from him I previously entered:

This is from DFichtner verbatim:

"To answer the extension question: You can extend a GMPP one time as long as you have 2 months and 2,000 miles left of original plan. They are getting very strict on this policy so everyone watch this. If you have any questions as to date or miles please email me your VIN and current miles to dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com."

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 10-12-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As mentioned, good contacting Dennis Fichtner, but dont think there's much he can do for an 06'. Sometimes buying a used certified car from a dealer can help out on a third party warranty plan. Careful though, as some will only pay a certain amount of the repair, and a $15K LS7 might be well outside the range.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:20 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was considering the very same thing today. I was quoted
for an additional 3 years 36k miles. The warranty is not through GM, they actually told me Volkswagon has the warranty. My understanding is GM will not extend the warranty once you go past the bumper to bumper warranty.

Where is the best place to go and get and after warranty expires warranty?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:29 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by VicCaerter
You gotta watch them 3rd party companies. They might try to get you a used long block and not a new crate engine. Besides, $2200 may be enough to take care of the situation all together with a few extras thrown in.

To quote: GM Protection Plan (GMPP) is administered and underwritten by member companies of the GMAC Insurance Group.

http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/about.html

It states in the plan:

"We will pay you or a repairer the cost to remedy any failure using new, used or remanufactured parts, except as explained in the items listed under the section "WHAT THIS AGREEMENT DOES NOT COVER"."

Well, the truth is, if you have one of these warranties, and you do have an engine mishap, then the repair is at their discretion and they have left themselves an out to as you say, "do what they feel is the cheapest way to repair the motor."

That could mean a rebuilt motor if you have one of these extended warranties. GMPP included, according to their "fine print".

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1577709896

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1577711148

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-11-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:08 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
As mentioned, good contacting Dennis Fichtner, but dont think there's much he can do for an 06'. Sometimes buying a used certified car from a dealer can help out on a third party warranty plan. Careful though, as some will only pay a certain amount of the repair, and a $15K LS7 might be well outside the range.
Not correct, I bought my 06 Z in March 2010 and it already had a GMPP extended warranty on it. As LONG as the 06 Z has an existing GMPP Warranty on it, it can be renewed 1 time only, as long as the following criterion are met, as set forth by Dennis Fichtner below, which he sent to me when I was shopping for mine. I was in fact able to renew for the last time my GMPP On my 06 Z this past August, for another 4 years, as I met said criteria set forth below.

To answer the extension question: You can extend a GMPP one time as long as you have 2 months and 2,000 miles left of original plan. They are getting very strict on this policy so everyone watch this. If you have any questions as to date or miles please email me your VIN and current miles to dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com."
Old 10-12-2011, 08:41 AM
miwitte
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to talk to a few more local chevy dealers and see what they have to say. I would need to see it in writing that my model is specifically covered. I would hate to have the warranty, then they say "oh the Z06 model is not covered". With some of the issues I have read( motors, tranny syncros, gas tank leaks electronics) most of these repairs would easily pay back the 2200 for the warranty.

Bottom line is how many of you would get a aftermarket warranty and how many have one now? especially with all of the "dropped a valve" threads going on?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:59 AM
VicCaerter
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Another thing to consider is if the 3rd party even smells something about the car being on a race track, there is a good chance they aren't going to do anything for you.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:43 PM
smbstyle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a horrible experience with an aftermarket warranty through Zurich a few years back with my 04 Mach 1 with 14k miles. They wouldn't cover a known transmission issue with the TR3650, and said it was either due to "abuse" or it was a pre-existing condition stating the problem exists prior to the inception of the warranty, and was caused by the previous owner. Reading the fine print of my warranty, it stated only "manufacturing issues" leading to the damage or issue are covered, and I'm sure they'll find a way to say any big issue with an engine or transmission are from abuse. I'll never deal with an aftermarket warranty again.

I'd throw that $2200 into that bank, let it acrue interest, and pull it out if you need it. It might not cover the entire repair, but you can be certain that quality, OEM parts are going back into the car, and not some cheap or used part that the warranty company forces you to use. Also, it seems with these dropped valve issues that you dont need to replace the entire LS7, and the block itself is still usable.

Last edited by smbstyle; 12-29-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:59 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Not correct, I bought my 06 Z in March 2010 and it already had a GMPP extended warranty on it. As LONG as the 06 Z has an existing GMPP Warranty on it, it can be renewed 1 time only, as long as the following criterion are met, as set forth by Dennis Fichtner below, which he sent to me when I was shopping for mine. I was in fact able to renew for the last time my GMPP On my 06 Z this past August, for another 4 years, as I met said criteria set forth below.

To answer the extension question: You can extend a GMPP one time as long as you have 2 months and 2,000 miles left of original plan. They are getting very strict on this policy so everyone watch this. If you have any questions as to date or miles please email me your VIN and current miles to dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com."
But you cannot extend past 100K miles I thought ???

DH
Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
But you cannot extend past 100K miles I thought ???

DH
Your right, most likely you cannot extend close to 100,000 miles, as you have to be within a certain mileage parameter, set forth by your existing GMPP. Each Z will be different, depending on how many allowable miles was taken out on the first GMPP taken on the car, and then what milegae option was choosen when on your second and LAST GMPP warranty was taken.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:16 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
If you have more than 2 months left and are within 3,000 miles on your GMPP you should be able to. Best prices on GMPP here is Dennis Fichnter, a forum vendor, look him up and he will tell you EXACTLY where you stand.

Here is his email and info on the exact question from him I previously entered:

This is from DFichtner verbatim:

"To answer the extension question: You can extend a GMPP one time as long as you have 2 months and 2,000 miles left of original plan. They are getting very strict on this policy so everyone watch this. If you have any questions as to date or miles please email me your VIN and current miles to dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com."
whats that old saying jimmy? you can lead a horse to water, but ya cant make him drink......yup... ok go call around to some dealers.....or just call fitchner as you suggested and get the real answers you need...lol
Old 12-31-2011, 02:16 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by erikszr1
whats that old saying jimmy? you can lead a horse to water, but ya cant make him drink......yup... ok go call around to some dealers.....or just call fitchner as you suggested and get the real answers you need...lol
You beat me to it. Was thinking the same thing.
How many times does one have to hear, "Call Dennis Fichtner", before they figure it out?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:24 PM
HighPro
Racer

I am going to talk to a few more local chevy dealers and see what they have to say. I would need to see it in writing that my model is specifically covered. I would hate to have the warranty, then they say "oh the Z06 model is not covered". With some of the issues I have read( motors, tranny syncros, gas tank leaks electronics) most of these repairs would easily pay back the 2200 for the warranty.

Bottom line is how many of you would get a aftermarket warranty and how many have one now? especially with all of the "dropped a valve" threads going on?
In my experience, limited as it is, dealers do not want to write an extended GM warranty because the third party warranty offers more profit. I bought an 09 Z in 12/2011 and got a third party extended warranty at a Chevy dealer for 5 years 75,000 miles for about $2,200.

Get notified of new replies

To Will a aftermarket extended warranty cover a blown LS7??

Old 02-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Yawlak80-86
Racer

As of right now, I would not purchase and extended warranty other than the GMPP. I have dealt with many companies and seen the games they play with policey holders. The GMPP has always been good to it's customers from what I have seen. I also don't believe they have any affiliation w/ any other company. That sounds like car salesmen BS. Car dealers will usually offer extended warranties they can make the highest markup with.

Has anybody ever had a problem 1st hand w/ a GMPP contract?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Tukon44
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my experience with 3rd party insurance is they always found a way to squirm out of a repair .... always some fine print somewhere. I don't think I'd even bother with 3rd party again ... gmpp, yes' 3rd party, save your money
Old 02-29-2012, 12:21 AM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET
You beat me to it. Was thinking the same thing.
How many times does one have to hear, "Call Dennis Fichtner", before they figure it out?
...you will not be sorry you went to Dennis.... but as stated...ya can't lead a horse to water.....

Quick Reply: [Z06] Will a aftermarket extended warranty cover a blown LS7??