Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] 70 MPH vibration question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 09:05 PM
2muchhp
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Default 70 MPH vibration question

I am reading with interest the issue about the vibration at 70-80 mph which I definitely have.

My question: how does your dealer respond when you tell him you have a vibration issue that occurs at 70 to 80 mph, when they may not be willing to road test the car above local speed limits, at say 65 mph?
They really have to speed to detect the problem and later to road test for a solution, and here in Westchester County right outside NYC they can or have declined to solve the problem.

Comments on how to deal with this?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:52 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 2muchhp
I am reading with interest the issue about the vibration at 70-80 mph which I definitely have.

My question: how does your dealer respond when you tell him you have a vibration issue that occurs at 70 to 80 mph, when they may not be willing to road test the car above local speed limits, at say 65 mph?
They really have to speed to detect the problem and later to road test for a solution, and here in Westchester County right outside NYC they can or have declined to solve the problem.

I recently purchased a ZR1 out-of-state and asked the salesman to test the car for the vibration between 70-85 mph before I drove over to see it. He agreed and claims he took it gradually from 70-90 mph several times. Luckely my car does not seem to have the problem (yet). But this was a salesman wanting to sell a car, not the service depatment.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Check that the dealer has a Hunter Road Force balance and have them check your tires and wheels. The balancer will identify a wheel tire combo problems, no road test needed, but if you feel one is, run it yourself. I wouldn't want the dealer doing the test drive on my ZR1.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:33 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I took the service guy out for a test drive to demonstrate the vibration. They balanced the wheels/tires (it was almost dead on) and returned the car. It did not change the vibration.

Good luck getting steady 80 just outside of NYC.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Russell ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Per the TSB, it states a procedure the service department needs to do, if after that procedure it still has the issue, GM calls it, the nature of the vehicle, u will have to learn to live with it...

I had no vibration on mine from the factory, I put aftermarket wheels on and the vibration showed up, I switched back to factory and no vibration, I did mark the factory wheels in relation ti the bolt pattern on the lugs..put on aftermarket,,,yep, u guessed it,,vibration...

I live with it....don't bother me....
Old 10-24-2011, 08:09 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Old 10-25-2011, 11:45 AM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Mine vibrates too bad to live with it. It goes back tomorrow and they'll start searching for the "cure" Love the car hate the vibes.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:34 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Mine now has 2100 miles since pickup on Sept.28, and I have not seen anything like this. I routinely cruise at 75-80 on the interstates around here, and had her up to 130 on a Corvette club cruise to catch up with the leaders, nothing but smooth. But mine has the stock painted wheels and stock standard tires, maybe the upgrades and aftermarket ones have issues?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:47 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mikelj
Mine now has 2100 miles since pickup on Sept.28, and I have not seen anything like this. I routinely cruise at 75-80 on the interstates around here, and had her up to 130 on a Corvette club cruise to catch up with the leaders, nothing but smooth. But mine has the stock painted wheels and stock standard tires, maybe the upgrades and aftermarket ones have issues?
Maybe I should have sprung for the photo album Mike. I might not be having these problems.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Jman34
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a copy of or a link to the TSB on this?
Old 10-25-2011, 02:21 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ufaj26
Maybe I should have sprung for the photo album Mike. I might not be having these problems.
Or at least NCM delivery Alvin, I bet they take care of this at the museum's prep work
Old 10-25-2011, 03:12 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jman34
Does anyone have a copy of or a link to the TSB on this?

For your reading pleasure: Information from the other thread running in this section regarding vibrations

Document ID: 2611355
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIC5202C: Tire Vibration At Speeds Above 70 MPH - (Jul 28, 2011)
Subject: Tire Vibration at Speeds Above 70 MPH

Models: 2009 - 2011 Chevrolet Corvette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This PI was superseded to update admin details. Please discard PIC5202B.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may note a slight vibration in the steering wheel at 72-78 mph. The tires are known to flat spot when parked and this condition may be present until the tires warm up. This condition should clear after 30 minutes of driving.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Important: Drive the car for 30 minutes prior to beginning diagnosis.

Important: Unless there is a concern with the vehicle pulling or drifting, a wheel alignment is not necessary.

Verify the complaint and complete the Vibration Worksheet found in the latest version of bulletin 03-00-91-001.

Vibration felt in seat or steering wheel?

• Does the steering wheel move?

• Does the seat or console area move while driving?

• At what speed does the vibration begin?

• Does the vibration increase, decrease or stay the same as speed is increased?

• At what speed does the vibration diminish?

Vibration felt in the seat and all through the car? Concentrate on the rear tires first
Inspect all tires for signs of damage, cuts, bulges or excessive wear in tire tread or side wall areas and note any damage.

Is the tread evenly worn across the complete tire?

If signs of bumpy or uneven wear, tire may need to be replaced due to improper balance or tire pressure. This is not a warrantable concern.

If signs of excessive wear on tread, tires may need to be replaced. This is not a warrantable concern.

Inspect for signs of loose or worn suspension components such as sway bar bushings or sway bar links.

Verify the last service date on the balance and Road Force Variation (RFV) equipment. This equipment should be tested and calibrated every 90 days or more.

Note: When removing wheel weights use only a plastic tool to prevent damage to the wheel paint.

If tires are serviceable - check balance and re-balance the tires as necessary.

Record the Road Force Variation (RFV) of each tire after driving the car for at least 30 minutes to remove flat spots. The acceptable RFV value for Corvette is 15 lbs.

Rotate (match mount) the tire on the rim to attempt to achieve a RFV of 10 lbs or less.

If unable to achieve less than 10 lbs, remove tire from the rim and measure wheel run out.

Important: For Corvette it is only acceptable to measure rim run out with the tire dismounted, measuring run out only on the bead seat. Reference published information in SI on "Tire and Wheel Assembly Run out Measurement - Off Vehicle."

Maximum aluminum wheel radial run out - measured off-vehicle, tire dismounted: 0.762 mm (0.030 in)

Maximum aluminum wheel lateral run out - measured off-vehicle, tire dismounted: 0.762 mm (0.030 in)

If wheel is within specification try another set of wheels off of a known good vehicle.

If vibration is gone after swapping known good tire, replace that tire to achieve 10lbs or less of RFV.

Vibration is felt in the steering wheel only? Concentrate on the front tires

Note: When removing wheel weights use only a plastic tool to prevent damage to the wheel paint.

Verify condition of tires and wheels:

Is the tread evenly worn across the complete tire?

If signs of bumpy or uneven wear, tire may need to be replaced due to improper balance or tire pressure. This is not a warrantable concern.

If signs of excessive wear on tread, tires may need to be replaced. This is not a warrantable concern.

Check for signs of loose or worn suspension components such as sway bar bushings or sway bar links.

Verify the last service date on the balance and Road Force Variation (RFV) equipment. This equipment should be tested and calibrated every 90 days or more.

If tires are serviceable - check balance and re-balance the tires as necessary.

Record the Road Force Variation (RFV) of each tire after driving the car for at least 30 minutes to remove flat spots. The acceptable RFV value for Corvette is 15 lbs.

Rotate (match mount) the tire on the rim to attempt to achieve a RFV of 10 lbs or less.

If unable to achieve less than 10 lbs, remove tire from the rim and measure wheel run out

Important: For Corvette it is only acceptable to measure rim run out with the tire dismounted, measuring run out only on the bead seat. Reference published information in SI on "Tire and Wheel Assembly Run out Measurement - Off Vehicle."

Maximum aluminum wheel radial run out - measured off-vehicle, tire dismounted: 0.762 mm (0.030 in)

Maximum aluminum wheel lateral run out - measured off-vehicle, tire dismounted: 0.762 mm (0.030 in)

Inspect for signs of corrosion between back of wheel and rotor face. Clean all surface between mating surfaces, reassemble and road test for vibration. Note any change.

Remove rotor and inspect for corrosion between back of rotor and hub face, clean any corrosion.

Reassemble rotor to hub and tighten lugs to secure. Mark one wheel stud and the rotor location for use later as a reference point.

Using dial indicator, record lateral run out on back of rotor about 4mm from the outer edge.

Rotate rotor to determine run out. If greater than .001 inch index rotor around studs to find the lowest amount of run out.

Repeat process for opposite side.

If wheel is within specification try another set of wheels off of a known good vehicle.

If vibration is gone after swapping known good tire, replace tire to achieve 10lbs or less of RFV.

If after performing the procedures above, a slight vibration still exists; this is considered a normal characteristic of the vehicle.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Last edited by ufaj26; 10-25-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:07 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by ufaj26
For your reading pleasure: Information from the other thread running in this section regarding vibrations
Thanks for posting. I was curious as to what it said.
As for the Dealership, all depends who you bring it to and who is involved.
Any more issues with mine it is going across State to where it came from and they will call the Nice Engineers/People from Milford Anyone else I do NOT trust to touch it. Too many variables which some Dealerships can not comprehend.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Jman34
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second that, thank you for posting sir...
Old 10-25-2011, 05:04 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

keep in mind that the section that speaks of Flat Spotting cannot apply to my car or some other vehicles. My 2012 was ordered and shipped within 5 weeks. However, it doesn't mean that I may not have a bad tire or two but I'll know more within the next week. The dealer is suspecting it may be the rotors but will most likely start with RFB of the tires etc and cking alignment as well.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:30 PM
2muchhp
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Still looking for responses to my first question if anyone cares - about how to approoach the dealer regarding speed limits. Thx
Old 10-26-2011, 08:38 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Still looking for responses to my first question if anyone cares - about how to approoach the dealer regarding speed limits. Thx
Sorry, that is an interesting one. The Car can go 205+, the problem occurs above the posted so how do they road test it?
The idEot at the Dealership here didn't want to take it over the posted either.
Can you take them for a test drive? Someone here should have some suggestions??????

Get notified of new replies

To 70 MPH vibration question

Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 AM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I have never tried this with a Chevy dealer, but when I took my Porsche Turbo S in with a vibration issue similar, the service manager had no problem getting to it, even though it was 5-10 mph over posted limits nearby. Turned out it was tire balance and easy to fix by rebalancing the tires. But, maybe all service people are not so bold...you have to ask and push maybe?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Pigface1
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Interesting. I have a 2010 and no vibration problems, but the exact opposite problem with my dealer. They're all too happy to drive it.

I took mine in for regular maint/oil change and got it back with an extra 20 miles on it.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Honestly I don't think most dealers have the road force balancer. My 2010 Camaro SS has this problem and it is irritating. Once spring comes back around again, I'm taking my wheels off, completely cleaning them of all wheel weights and any dust or dirt and taking them somewhere to a place that has a real road force balancer and hopefully that works. Good luck to you guys. It is irritating!

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Quick Reply: [ZR1] 70 MPH vibration question