Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

[ZR1] ZR1 Vibration Issues

Old 09-03-2018, 07:43 PM
heavychevy357
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fulton 1 View Post
AFAIK, the CCB option wasn't offered on Z06 until 2011 so unless you've swapped your brakes to the carbon ceramics then I suspect you're off the hook on this issue and instead dealing with a more conventional balance problem (one that is probably much easier/cheaper to fix ).

Rule of thumb says that if you're feeling vibration in the steering wheel then its front end and if you're feeling it through the seat (i.e. your butt) then it's from the aft end. Based on your description my first step would be to road force balance the front wheels/tires and see if that eliminates the vibration. Here's a link to the Hunter website that will help locate a road force balancer near you https://www.hunter.com/gsp9700 If that doesn't fix it then next step would be to check the tires and wheels for damage. I've had really old tires flat-spot on me and vibrate regardless of other efforts and a damaged wheel will cause vibration. These things should show up during road force balancing, though, if an excessive amount of weight is needed to balance. Third step would be to investigate bushings and other suspension related issues. Iron rotors, though, creating a vibration is rare based on my experience. It can happen (I did get a set of bad Brembo replacement rotors once upon a time so it is possible), but it would be far down the list of concerns in my troubleshooting .
Thank you! I will try having the front wheels/tires road force balanced and see if that helps.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:05 AM
magic.zr1

on my 2011 zr1 i started experiencing wheel vibration of 70mph after i swapped out the OEM wheels to aftermarket. balancing an alignment checks out. i have an extended warranty but was told it excludes brakes since its considered a "wear and tear item." but if the rotors are proven to to be out of balance do you think it can be considered as a manufacturer defect? especially since so many others have experienced the same issue?
Old 10-17-2018, 10:03 PM
Stavesacre21
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 71HO454 View Post
Geez, I am actually in the decision making mode of selling my 08 Z06 and looking for a 2011+ ZR1. This vibration issue really concerns me. Very similar to the guide wear issue on my Z06. Why can't these cars just be right?
Little late to the party but wanted to throw in my $0.02 here. I came from a 427 convertible and know the very real fear of the LS7 heads...blown out of proportion or not. However, the ZR1 isn't really comparable, as it either vibrates...or it wont. All you need to do it take a REAL test drive in it at all speeds 0-100mph. If you don't end up with a vibration, it sounds like you're in the clear. I can't speak for everyone, but from what i've heard, it's not a problem that tends to pop up too much over time, such as the anticipation of a dropped valve in the LS7.

Also worth mentioning...unlike the LS7 issues, there IS an inexpensive jerry-rigged fix for the ones that experience vibration which include balancing the rim accordingly to the part of the rotor that's out of spec. It may not be the RIGHT fix (ie $2400 rotor replacements), but it will work to get you by. And lets be honest...most ZR1 owners aren't going through a set of FRONT tires every year. You shouldn't have to deal with the balance issues for a good 3 to 6(?) years depending on miles you put on it.

Don't let the rotors scare you away from a ZR...especially if you haven't bought one yet. Test drive the hell out of it at all speeds to ensure it's solid. If not...require the dealer/owner have it righted beforehand, or get some serious compensation (I wouldn't accept less than $4K heading into that issue).

Originally Posted by magic.zr1 View Post
on my 2011 zr1 i started experiencing wheel vibration of 70mph after i swapped out the OEM wheels to aftermarket. balancing an alignment checks out. i have an extended warranty but was told it excludes brakes since its considered a "wear and tear item." but if the rotors are proven to to be out of balance do you think it can be considered as a manufacturer defect? especially since so many others have experienced the same issue?
At this time, being nearly 8 years old, I hate to say that you're never going to get anyone to pick up the tab for this issue. Most warranties won't cover brakes at all, and the very small select few that might certainly won't pick up the tab for $3-6K for rotors.

Last edited by Stavesacre21; 10-17-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:13 AM
mirage2991
CF Senior Member

Fulton1 idea of using a spacer is brilliant! Kinda make sense since the rotors are 15.5" diameter (need I remind anyone that not too long ago 15" wheels where on most cars?) Any imbalance on such diameter is going to be very noticeable. For instance, anybody that tracks knows that after a couple session, you pick up enough rubber inside the rims to actually offset your balancing and you end up with some vibration, it really doesn't take much. it's safe to say that even brand new rotors may not solve it...I think for the cost of the spacer, it is well worth it to balance the whole assembly!
Old 12-04-2018, 08:03 AM
heavychevy357
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by mirage2991 View Post
Fulton1 idea of using a spacer is brilliant! Kinda make sense since the rotors are 15.5" diameter (need I remind anyone that not too long ago 15" wheels where on most cars?) Any imbalance on such diameter is going to be very noticeable. For instance, anybody that tracks knows that after a couple session, you pick up enough rubber inside the rims to actually offset your balancing and you end up with some vibration, it really doesn't take much. it's safe to say that even brand new rotors may not solve it...I think for the cost of the spacer, it is well worth it to balance the whole assembly!
wow.. I just came home from the drag strip Sunday and on the way home I had a bad vibration. I know nothing was damaged.. so could be the rubber adding just enough weight to the wheel to throw off the balance..
Old 12-04-2018, 08:26 PM
seamus2154
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by heavychevy357 View Post

wow.. I just came home from the drag strip Sunday and on the way home I had a bad vibration. I know nothing was damaged.. so could be the rubber adding just enough weight to the wheel to throw off the balance..
Short answer...YES. Happens all the time to us at the track. Some big goops of rubber in there sometimes. Also the loss of a weight...less common. Doesn't take much on a 20" rim with such a low profile. On my 18" CCW track rims I have found the tire to move on the rim and throw off my balance after hard braking on high speed tracks. They now knurl the inside bead to grip the tire better to combat this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 Vibration Issues

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: