Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 440ci built LS7 w/ Nitrous, RPS BC3, Rev Black Widow Cam. 180miles!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 03:03 AM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 440ci built LS7 w/ Nitrous, RPS BC3, Rev Black Widow Cam. 180miles!

First I would Like the thank Clint@AIR and Bret@RED and all the guys there. Great Job!

Also Carlos@vette-air, Jason@Katech, Fran@RPM and few members here (lane_change, DSteck, stonabones69, GIO-305, and many others that helped either directly or by reading their posts and their experiences!) This place

So I picked up my car on Friday. everything seems ok! I can feel the tq (even though I never went over 30-40% throttle!) I can't wait to get this thing tuned!

The car sounds a little different. rumbles a little more and also has a deeper sound. sound level is pretty the same though. I thought it will sound a little meaner going from 13.25-14.0 CR with more cubes and also the bigger cam!! its fine

- Revised black widow cam

This cam is GREAT! very streetable idles a little rougher than the older black widow. Maybe the extra cubes helps with its streetability? Overall I am happy with it. Tune still needs some tweaking but at this point, this cam drives great over 1500RPM. but I do have one problem!!

For some reason the car will hesitate a little bit over 1700RPM up to 2200RPM. it comes and goes pretty much on all gears even 1st. I dont know if this has anything to do with the cam??? tuning?? or is there something else?? Car is not fully tuned yet. Its just a break in tune.

- RPS BC3 Triple Carbon Clutch

I was so worried at first. but let me tell you this.... its one of the BEST CLUTCHES for daily drive especially for it being triple and the power that it can hold!! I cant really believe how nice this thing for a DD. I have about 180miles now (90miles highway) the rest is all city driving. Amazing clutch and I am glad I spent the extra $$$$$ for it.

I have some concerns though... I have been told there will be some noise at idle and neutral and also some chattering!! I don't have that at all?? is that good or bad lol??

Also my engagement point is almost at the top. It doesn't bother me, but is it going to damage anything (slave or clutch itself?) I have a stock LS7 slave installed. When I contacted RPS they said we need to measure and choose the right slave (either stock or LS9 slave cylinder). Again it doesn't bother me, but do I need to worry about anything?

Also when I rev the car in neutral or when I shift from gear to gear. it will hold whatever RPM I am at for a sec and then return slowly. is that normal? I have a steel flywheel and been told it might be the reason!? any input on from people running the same clutch?

One last thing. the clutch sometimes grabs hard. I thought that is not good for the drivetrain?

- Hinson Engine Mounts

Some noise and extra vibration inside the cabin, but it doesnt bother me a lot. with the radio on, i think It will be gone. I just drive with the radio off during this time just in case I hear some weird sounds or anything. BTW do those mounts make the engine sit a little higher?

One more thing... I have the ABS/Traction light ON all the time. and it will show service active handling and abs on the dash. we still didnt figure out why is it doing this. anyone have any idea? also I got a flashing check engine light (never seen that before) and the next day I got a check gas cap msg. I did but it was still on until I cleared it. it didnt come back again until now.

Finally what is the right way to break-in a new engine and clutch? until now I never went over 3500. I never did over 30-40% throttle. I do try to shift gears every chance I get and also try changing my speeds and RPMs even on the high way. not sure if it matters. it would be helpful to point out the right way to break in a new engine and a clutch and what NOT to do!

Sorry for making this long. here are few pics and a quick walk around and idle vid. Sorry I know they are not the greatest but I have a cheap old camera and my editing skills are below average

The specs for people that didnt see my other post!

- Darton sleeved LS7 Block by RED.
- 441ci stroker ( callies crank, rods, and daimond pistons w/ nitrous rings)
- almost 14.0:1 compression
- WCCH High CR Heads w/ SS valves
- Black Widow revised cam with duel springs
- Morel lifters (link bar)
- CHE rockers
- Innovators West damper
- all ARP hardware and block is machined for 1/2" studs

- Ported Fast intake with Nitrous outlet direct port
- Nitrous outlet nitrous kit with 102 plate (2 stages)
- 2- nano 4500 kits and 2- 15lbs bottles
- NMS1000 nitrous controller

- Bosch 85# Injectors
- Stock Fuel Pump

- NW102 TB
- Halltech KB2 CAI
- LG 1 7/8 super pro headers with off-road xpipe
- Stock Catback

- RPS BC3 Triple Carbon Clutch
- level 4 Built T56
- Stock Diff w/ Stock Axles (for now)
- Stock Suspension (lowered on stock bolts)

-

-

::::vid::::

Last edited by walhan_qtr; 11-07-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:22 AM
Ben01C5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to see you got her all back together and running. Looking forward to the final numbers.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:25 AM
screaminchevy
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow. Amazing set up man. That's a lot of nitrous!!! Can't wait to see it in action!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 AM
b16gsr
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

cannot wait to see how it does on the dyno. going to be insane
Old 11-07-2011, 10:54 AM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks amazing man....I wish you all the best with your new setup.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by lane_change
Old 11-07-2011, 11:15 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

407RWHP? Just an educated guess... looks good bro!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

The ABS/steering/active handling thing sounds like the steering wheel is not center in the correct position. As In you turn the steering wheel one way and then the other it turns further one way. Bad thing is depending on how far off typically 180* it can pop your airbag clock spring when turned to full lock. Just a guess but a possibility after all this work being done.

Great looking car... definitely sounds like some issues need resolved there. Cant wait to hear it ripping down the track.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:14 PM
StreetRacingGuy
Pro

Looks great! Your gonna need more pump if you use both stages! I see the direct port setup...why the plate also??? You gonna spray 250+ shot? raise that thing back to stock height...they seem to hook better than when lowered. Dont put a DR on it until you get some better axle's in it lol!
Old 11-07-2011, 12:21 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ben01C5
Nice to see you got her all back together and running. Looking forward to the final numbers.
Originally Posted by screaminchevy
Wow. Amazing set up man. That's a lot of nitrous!!! Can't wait to see it in action!
Originally Posted by b16gsr
cannot wait to see how it does on the dyno. going to be insane
Originally Posted by lane_change
Originally Posted by bobafett

Thanks guys. I too cant wait to get it on the dyno and track!
Old 11-07-2011, 12:22 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
407RWHP? Just an educated guess... looks good bro!
I would hope a little more maybe 508WHP Thanks
Old 11-07-2011, 12:22 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Love to know what kind of power it makes with the new setup. When will it be tuned and dyno'ed?

I have never seen a Z stroked out furhter than a 440ci. Is it not possible?
Old 11-07-2011, 12:31 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Fartpipe
The ABS/steering/active handling thing sounds like the steering wheel is not center in the correct position. As In you turn the steering wheel one way and then the other it turns further one way. Bad thing is depending on how far off typically 180* it can pop your airbag clock spring when turned to full lock. Just a guess but a possibility after all this work being done.

Great looking car... definitely sounds like some issues need resolved there. Cant wait to hear it ripping down the track.
I will check. maybe your right. I dont know! but thanks for the tip! and yes some issues here and there. but I am sure most of these will be taken care off after the break in. Today I got a CEL too. 2 codes. system lean bank 1 and bank 2

Originally Posted by StreetRacingGuy
Looks great! Your gonna need more pump if you use both stages! I see the direct port setup...why the plate also??? You gonna spray 250+ shot? raise that thing back to stock height...they seem to hook better than when lowered. Dont put a DR on it until you get some better axle's in it lol!
I want to do 150shot through the direct port and another 100 through the plate. the plate is just my ""little helper" and will be triggered at higher RPMs only.

and yes we will see how far the stock pump can go. from my understanding is that nitrous doesnt need a lot of fuel. plus we are at 5500+ elevation and we dont need as much fuel as sea-level guys!

I will try to get some C5 axles asa I can. I have my DRs ready to go in. I dont know if I will get the axles on time though. we will see. I wil def not pass any chance to run at the track. stock axles or not lol
Old 11-07-2011, 12:35 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by starchedup
Love to know what kind of power it makes with the new setup. When will it be tuned and dyno'ed?

I am hoping for 640+whp/580+wtq It will be tuned asa I finish the break in. I am really busy this week plus I think it will snow today so car will be staying in the garage for couple of days until the roads get dry again.

I think I saw a 448ci before. but its mostly due the walls getting very thin and the block getting weaker at that point.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:54 PM
StreetRacingGuy
Pro

with your cubes/CR/Cam and nitrous you will be using a TON of fuel, expecially with E85. I assume you do not have a stand alone fuel system dedicated just for nitrous???

You are probably loosing 25+ rwhp (on the bottle) by not going with 2 in headers and a cat back exhaust over your 1 7/8 in headers and stock catback. Cat back isnt worth much on a near stock car, but when you start spraying some bottle, you want a better cat back.

Should be a ton of fun on the street and tracK!

Out of curiousity why did you choose to sleeve block instead of just stroking it to 440 cube?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:10 PM
screaminchevy
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetRacingGuy

Out of curiousity why did you choose to sleeve block instead of just stroking it to 440 cube?
I'd assume between 14:1 CR and 2 stage nitrous, it needs to be able to handle the high cylinder pressure.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:31 PM
RGT
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by starchedup

Per Steve at RED, 454 cubes can be achieved with a darton sleeved LS7 block 4.185 bore x 4.250 stroke. This is what my upcoming project will be.

Get notified of new replies

To 440ci built LS7 w/ Nitrous, RPS BC3, Rev Black Widow Cam. 180miles!

Old 11-07-2011, 01:38 PM
gnx7
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

nice build up! Bring that car down to sea level and you will really feel the power.....

Factory LS7 sleeves are weak especially with nitrous. Hence the safety/strength margin with going to a resleeve.

Last edited by gnx7; 11-07-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:21 PM
ClintHuggerSS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a great build. I'm proud to be a part of it !!! ;-)

Wal... 2" Primary's would be nice to install ;-)

Once you get some more miles on her, that lean code at idle only will be taken out, also ready to install the 2nd stage N20 and install and re-bend the N20 tubes.

I can take out additional throttle follower in the tune to help with the rpm hold when shifting gears (already took out alot), but going with the heavier flywheel was a good move, it will help your times when you race her hard.

The ABS light code is C0110 Pump Circuit Malfunction. Could be something simple, or the pump need to be replaced. The GM tech that looked at it said everything looks correct, but when he reset the code it popped up again once the brake was pressed.

The noise your hearing in the cabin is from the motor mounts yes also the silinoids of the n20 right up against the firewall & cowl, not much you can do here, I will install some thin rubber insulation where the silinoids are hitting, to help with the engine section.

Looking forward for it to grace the shop again and get her 100% done.

Ahmeds maggie/cam 2010 Camaro will be done tomorrow afternoon as well with its mods complete ;-)

Have a good night.

Clint
Old 11-07-2011, 09:38 PM
heavyhitter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Walhan
Great to hear you got it back, I do have some concerns though.

First, the high clutch engagement is concerning and will only get worse as the clutch wears and is broken in so I would refrain from getting on it til you address that issue .

Next if your getting lean codes aready and have a hestation I would suspect lack of fuel could be the cause.

Just trying to save you some headches. If you need any help let me know. Also, if you hp tuners send me a log file maybe I can correct some issues with the car.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 440ci built LS7 w/ Nitrous, RPS BC3, Rev Black Widow Cam. 180miles!