Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 thrifty mods that work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 10:10 AM
03sixspeed
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ZR1 thrifty mods that work.

Was thinking about changing the factory air filter for a high flow filter. & keeping factory airbox. Is there any real gain if all else remains stock. I have an extended warranty on the car & do not want to do anything to void it. Thanks in adavnce.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:23 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

With a K&N filter and Bassani catback I dyno'd 535/520
The following users liked this post:
03sixspeed (10-16-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 03:51 PM
INTRCUL
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I have an extended warranty as well and have only have the full Akra system and K&N carbon intake. I haven't dynoed this combo but as most other ZR1 owners will attest, these two things don't really do much without tuning (and voiding warranty). 535/520 is within the range of a fully stock ZR1 on a DynoJet. Exhaust is for sound (Akra gets 5HP peak), air filter is to reduce replacement costs because it can be cleaned and re-oiled vs. replacing it.

If you change the air bridge you can maybe get 10-15HP tops, but I think there are only 2 intakes made for the ZR1 that don't require tuning.
03sixspeed (10-16-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 09:43 AM
Redgts1982
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe blue air filter, decent catback, and short shifter from mgw
03sixspeed (10-16-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 11:12 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

The answer is, without tuning/and or mods, no, there is no appreciable gain to be had other than your enjoyment factor...
03sixspeed (10-16-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 08:40 PM
03sixspeed
Racer

Default HP gains

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
The answer is, without tuning/and or mods, no, there is no appreciable gain to be had other than your enjoyment factor...
Thanks for the replies. The enjoyment factor is way up there but right now I will be taking the car back to the dealer to take care of the front end vibration/shake problem. Felt it a little on test drive but dealer insisted they would take care of it since it was GM certified. Going in this comming Wednesday to find out. They can fix it or buy it back.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:30 PM
londonk
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sixspeed
Thanks for the replies. The enjoyment factor is way up there but right now I will be taking the car back to the dealer to take care of the front end vibration/shake problem. Felt it a little on test drive but dealer insisted they would take care of it since it was GM certified. Going in this comming Wednesday to find out. They can fix it or buy it back.

Good luck with that
Old 10-20-2015, 01:15 PM
etekberg
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by londonk
Good luck with that

Yeah, hope you got that in writing.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:52 AM
03sixspeed
Racer

Default Wheel vibration

Originally Posted by etekberg
Yeah, hope you got that in writing.
Dealer road force balanced all four wheels the other day but vibration is still there. Car is GM certified so no cost. Waiting to hear from dealer about next step of the process. They did acknowledge the problem & gave me a copy of the tsb. They also did the headlight recall & now the magnetic ride control does not stay illuminated like it was before. Have to check to see if something in the settings has been changed. When I drove the car home from the dealer it went out two times & came back on. Even when turning the **** it would not illuminate.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:17 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by londonk
Good luck with that

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-issues.html

Last edited by 05dsom; 11-01-2015 at 04:17 PM.
03sixspeed (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 07:19 PM
03sixspeed
Racer

Default steering vibration

Thanks and I have read the posts. Some here have had the issue resolved. If I read correctly a couple have had the rotors balanced/replaced by GM. Others it seems re just living with the issue.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:47 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Check the thread about the cc rotors. Can't believe your stupid dealer doesn't know about it. Print the thread & give it to him.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:32 PM
03sixspeed
Racer

I have read the threads about the rotors and totally agree they need to be checked. I spoke to the dealer this morning and they are ordering a new wheel. They tell me it has a very small divot they called it but road force balance fine. They will not do anything else until the wheel is replaced. It is on their dime and I guess I will have to follow the steps to eventually get to the rotors. They have been told about the rotor problem as well.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:43 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

What speed range are you feeling the shake? All the time/any speed or specifically between around 73-85 mph exclusively?
Old 11-10-2015, 03:13 PM
03sixspeed
Racer

Default Vibration

Originally Posted by jft69z
What speed range are you feeling the shake? All the time/any speed or specifically between around 73-85 mph exclusively?
Yes, the vibration starts about 70mph and the dealer confirmed the problem. They also aknowledged the service visits the previous owner had for the same problem.They even gave me a printout of the tsb noting the problem. The rear wheel they ordered gets installed on 11/11. We will see what their reaction is when the vibration does not go away.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:07 PM
03sixspeed
Racer

Right rear wheel has been replaced last week and left front tire as well was replaced yesterday. After the left front tire was replaced & road force balanced the vibration is less noticable. I asked about replacing the right front tire but hey want to try something else first. Now I am going to take it to a shop that they recomended that has more experience dealing with tire/wheel vibration issues. I have shown them photos of balanced rotors but they seem to know nothing about that. Wish me luck. So far I have more miles on the car going back & forth to the dealer than just driving for pleasure.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:11 PM
03sixspeed
Racer

Default Vibration

Originally Posted by jft69z
YES. Noticed it on the initial test drive thanks to the forum & they stated they would take care of it. So far at no cost to me. The original owner had it in the shop three times for the same issue. Bought the car with 3,900 miles on it in September.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 thrifty mods that work.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:31 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

YES. Noticed it on the initial test drive thanks to the forum & they stated they would take care of it. So far at no cost to me. The original owner had it in the shop three times for the same issue. Bought the car with 3,900 miles on it in September.
Typically if the vibes are in that range only, it's the rotors. Been thru all the steps on my '11 & '13 and it was the rotors both times (we already knew that, but had to go thru the steps before GM will replace the rotors).

Did the roadforce, etc but in the end, rotor replacement was the solution. And just because you get 'balanced' rotors from parts, spin them on the roadforce machine. A couple of the one's I got were not useable either. I put them on the car anyways as a test, still vibrated in that speed range.

Good luck,

Joe

You can PM me if you want with a phone number & I can walk you thru the many things we tried as tests, but in the end rotors did it.

Last edited by jft69z; 11-19-2015 at 03:34 PM.
03sixspeed (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 12:35 AM
jmorgan07z06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dealer road force balanced all four wheels the other day but vibration is still there. Car is GM certified so no cost. Waiting to hear from dealer about next step of the process. They did acknowledge the problem & gave me a copy of the tsb. They also did the headlight recall & now the magnetic ride control does not stay illuminated like it was before. Have to check to see if something in the settings has been changed. When I drove the car home from the dealer it went out two times & came back on. Even when turning the **** it would not illuminate.
I know that most say that the vibration issue was only present in the early year ZR1's but I can tell you that my 2013 ZR1 had a distinct vibration between 73 and 78 mph. I bought it new and rarely drove it the first year so I did not bother to "burnish" the brakes. It was a "gargage queen". At the same time I owned a 2007 Z06 with a Stoptech big brake kit among other mods and I felt that the Stoptech kit was far superior to the ZR1 brakes, in fact I almost ran a few red lights trying to stop the ZR1 because I was more familiar with the braking power of Stoptechs on my Z06 (with racing pads).

Long story short, while I was looking for better performance out of the ZR1 brakes I headed over to the service road where I "test my car" and heated the hell out of the brakes until I had almost no pedal at all. That was scary. When I pulled over to let the rotors cool down, smoke was rolling out of the fenders. Consequently, I discovered that not only did my carbon brakes come alive to their full braking potential, the vibration issue went away completely and has never returned.

Call me crazy!

Last edited by jmorgan07z06; 11-20-2015 at 12:37 AM.
03sixspeed (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 08:02 AM
03sixspeed
Racer

After the left front tire was replaced the vibration was much less noticable but the dealer does not want to replace the right front. They want to send the car to a shop where they spin the tire on the car and shave the high spots off the tire. I would think that this would be a solution of very last resort prior to sending the car off a cliff. Has anyone that you guys know off ever had this done. I am going to contact Michelin & Chevrolet customer service to see what else can be done .

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 thrifty mods that work.