Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Was I wrong?

Old 12-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Wing42
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mregor
Lighten up Francis.
I love that movie!!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:12 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

Thank you Cap'n Pete! After Oregon's tongue lashing, I thought I was going to have to turn in my good Dad card!

I felt it was a way of bonding with my son. He's bright enough to understand that this was a special one time "treat" and that it is not something one does normally. I think he'll remember it as a fun thing he did with his Dad. When he drives in 6 years, he won't have access to my Z!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:28 PM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have not tried that with my 11 year old boy....don't want to leave the wrong impression on him about dad being immature.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Tsar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I typed out a "spirited" reply to this thread and then deleted it. Sometimes speaking your mind ends up sounding just too unpleasant.

I will say this: When a grown man , a father , behaves like this in the presence of his children he can expect to reap what he sows. That could be tragic in years to come when your kids learn to drive.

"Do as I say not as I do." Have you ever heard that one?

Showing off in an automobile is showing off in an automobile. It should never be done, it is potentially dangerous, it could have gotten you arrested or cited, and it sent a really negative message to your passengers.

Keep in mind, I pulled just about all the punches in settling for this weak reply.....just to keep things civil mind you.

There are a whole lotta things you can do with a car and other things to spend time with your children besides things like this. I'd suggest you grow up.

signed,

an older man
Old 12-15-2011, 03:45 PM
deepcj7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I typed out a "spirited" reply to this thread and then deleted it. Sometimes speaking your mind ends up sounding just too unpleasant.

I will say this: When a grown man , a father , behaves like this in the presence of his children he can expect to reap what he sows. That could be tragic in years to come when your kids learn to drive.

"Do as I say not as I do." Have you ever heard that one?

Showing off in an automobile is showing off in an automobile. It should never be done, it is potentially dangerous, it could have gotten you arrested or cited, and it sent a really negative message to your passengers.

Keep in mind, I pulled just about all the punches in settling for this weak reply.....just to keep things civil mind you.

There are a whole lotta things you can do with a car and other things to spend time with your children besides things like this. I'd suggest you grow up.

signed,

an older man

Ahhh, there it is....I knew it wouldn't last long till someone had something negative to say.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:56 PM
71Pantera
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you own a "toy car" how mature are you really? Let me guess the vette is your practical and mature family car and you never so much as break the speed limit.

All you mature guys should sell your toys and buy more stock.

Get over yourself.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Next thing you will be showing your kids **** before they are 18yrs old. Then they will become addicted to sex and internet ****. They will have to go to 12 step programs to help their sex addiction and they will end up sleeping with anything or anyone for that matter. The poor kid will catch almost every disease like a catcher on the Yankee's baseball team on the bottom of the 9th inning against the White Sox. At some point they'll get some lovely young girl pregnant and ruin her life they'll put the kid up for adoption. That kid will then be adopted by horrible parents who only wanted the tax write off. That kid will feel neglected by his mother and become a serial killer of brunetts over the age of 45yr old. In the end that kid will end up killing his birth mother unknowingly causing a full circle of events like the movie CRASH.

I am so disgusted with this burnout with children in the car I'm going to go punch a kitten IN THE FACE!

P.S. i was bored today
Old 12-15-2011, 05:01 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,541 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I was a similarly, exceedingly poor influence with my children when they were young and they turned out fine. They used to ask: "Daddy can you make me stick to the seat?" They loved the feeling of being pushed back in the seat when I would take them out for a drive. They also loved being in a special car.

Your son will be fine and hopefully appreciate a high performance automobile when he's old enough to drive one
Old 12-15-2011, 05:05 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 388 Likes on 193 Posts

Sometines an excercise in descretion is sometimes needed............but not in this case.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Stage Runner
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only issue I have is dad saying (and don't tell your Mom!) nice one dad. Being deceptive or out right lying is OK? And especially to mom? There's a life lesson.
You do not have others keep your secrets so you don't get spanked. "YOU" dad go man up, grab your sack and tell you wife! Don't be such a lil chicken s#&t having an 11 yr old (don't tell) as to spare you the wrath of the woman I'm sure you Love and trust.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:10 PM
speedy77
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish my Dad would have done stuff like that !!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:16 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Fartpipe
I am so disgusted with this burnout with children in the car I'm going to go punch a kitten IN THE FACE!
Hahahahabaha
Old 12-15-2011, 06:23 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EdsC6Z06
Took my 11 yr old for a ride the other day. He's really getting the car bug, so I wanted to show him a little of what a Z can do. Went behind a closed school in an empty parking lot....shut off trac. control and stopped.....Told him to hang on.....Dumped the clutch at about 3500 and proceeded to light the big meats up....several smoky spins later he's freaking out and grinning from ear to ear! We slowly idle out and back home where he's lectured about never trying something like that on a public road, etc. (and don't tell your Mom!) Sorry no vid, but it was fun. Need tires anyway!
I have done plenty of things like that with my two boys, which are adults now. Just make sure you remember this incident 6 or 7 years from now. If he gets bagged by the police doing the same exact thing, Mom will find out in a hurry that "Dad taught me how to do that". I am speaking from experience.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:07 PM
bsternz06
Advanced

On a side note, I would love to see the faces of the kids &/or teachers coming to school the next day & seeing the donuts all over the lot!

By the way, do NOT show the kids my avitar. BAD BAD BAD!!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:02 PM
svtgeoff
Racer

my dad did it with me in the same manner as you described... i'll do it the same way with my son... teach them "when and where" and you'll have no issues..

you've got my blessing...
Old 12-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

I did a number of things like that when my kids were young but probably shouldn't have done them. You sort of have set a poor example now but you can start over by setting a better example. One thing you could do is start autocrossing the car and taking your son to the events. A lot of groups will let minors ride in the cars if the parent signs a waiver. He may not want to go all the time but when does go he will get a kick out of it. It will give him a different perspective in how to have fun with a performance car in a legal manner. A few years spent doing that and then allowing him to autocross the car once he gets his license will provide a way for the two of you to maintain a connection during those tough teenage years. Have him invite his friends to some of the events so they can see what is going on and how cool his dad is compared to theirs.

I didn't do this with my son when he was that age but I did let him help clean the car when I was into car shows. He did the interior and I did the exterior. When we went to the show all of his buddies came along and helped get the car ready at the show. When we won the first of our Best of Show trophies he was the one that went to the front of the auditorium to get the trophy and have his picture taken. A few years later he came back from his first year of college and introduced me to autocrossing and I have been autocrossing for the last 20 years. Now I am introducing my Grandson to the sport.

Bill
Old 12-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by EdsC6Z06
Thank you Cap'n Pete! After Oregon's tongue lashing, I thought I was going to have to turn in my good Dad card!

I felt it was a way of bonding with my son. He's bright enough to understand that this was a special one time "treat" and that it is not something one does normally. I think he'll remember it as a fun thing he did with his Dad. When he drives in 6 years, he won't have access to my Z!
I've got a baby on the way in the spring, so I'm a "Dad-to-be". I'm sure at some point in time (assuming I keep the Z ... which I don't plan on selling) ... I'll probably have my kid in the car and push the throttle more than a "normal, civilized person". I don't foresee any undue consequences, as long as I can help teach and guide my kid to have and exersice good common sense when they're out on their own .

Of course, some may argue that doing burn-outs in an empty parking lot is NOT exercising "common sense", but that's another debate!

Get notified of new replies

To Was I wrong?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:26 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cap'n Pete....good for you.
Ed.....you did nothing wrong....just don't let some of the old fuddy duddies mess up a father/son session. ........
I mean really....(your son and you will remember this forever)......do we need the morality police to chime in here?.....I think NOT

Last edited by PatriotZ; 12-15-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:57 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah the kid is warped for life. Oh well.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:47 AM
sengli
Instructor

Did similiar things when driving with my boys when were younger. One of them is scared to death of the speed and power routine, and the other thinks its awsome and is always trying to get to floor it for him. Difference in personalities for sure. I guess I just never grew up, I am a bad man. I love the sound of 427 ci of aluminum LS series small block music.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Was I wrong?