Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Was I wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:31 AM
scootguy58
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EdsC6Z06
Took my 11 yr old for a ride the other day. He's really getting the car bug, so I wanted to show him a little of what a Z can do. Went behind a closed school in an empty parking lot....shut off trac. control and stopped.....Told him to hang on.....Dumped the clutch at about 3500 and proceeded to light the big meats up....several smoky spins later he's freaking out and grinning from ear to ear! We slowly idle out and back home where he's lectured about never trying something like that on a public road, etc. (and don't tell your Mom!) Sorry no vid, but it was fun. Need tires anyway!
So yesterday, I take TWENTY NINE YEAR OLD out for a pre Christmas spin and after five years of telling him "drive the car with respect. Don't try this at home...Professional driver on a closed course", I pop off the "Baby-sitter", bring it up to the standard 3500rpm and dump the clutch for a perfect getaway!
So, when it's over, he just turns and looks at me,'cause I'm the one who's freaking out and grinning ear to ear and he's like, "dumb Papa!"
It's a bxxch when they get older and judgemental...enjoy your young one and be careful!
PS: He will eventually tell his Mother! They always do.

Last edited by scootguy58; 12-16-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 12-16-2011, 10:55 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

I wish my dad would have done that when I was younger. I had to learn about fast cars, guns, motorcycles, loud stereos, etc. by myself.

It's not like you took the kid to a drug deal, showed him how to roll a joint, how to make a crack pipe, or pick up a hooker.....

Last edited by jft69z; 12-16-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:57 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

You did it now Ed!!

My father would have some "fun" in the car with me when I was younger, and as an EMT he made it extremely clear the "times and place" for these things and not to be stupid. You bringing your son to a deserted parking lot is the same thing, and he knows you road race ON TRACK where it should be.

Now look what happened from receiving years of poor parenting, I race regularly and drive Corvettes for living. You may have dammed him to a life of enjoying what he does for a living, with an understanding respect for the "loaded gun" you are playing with.

Shame-shame-shame on you Ed!!
Old 12-16-2011, 03:03 PM
dstiger
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

OP- you sound like a pretty cool Dad.

like jft69z said-
wish my dad would have done that when I was younger. I had to learn about fast cars, guns, motorcycles, loud stereos, etc. by myself.

me too....
Old 12-16-2011, 03:19 PM
CorvetteRL
Lifetime Vette Lover
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Get it in the blood early!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Was I wrong?