Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My Z06 is gone!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:31 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Default My Z06 is gone!

....to get a repaint!

The day has finally come! My dad brought my 2006 LMB Z06 to his work today to have an estimate written up for a full repaint in LMB Unfortunately, this means I'll be without the car for a few weeks.

Now I know what you winter folks go through.

UPDATE 2:

A ton of new progress has been made! Here are the pics:

Front end is off. This guy is a nut job lol

Thats my dads boss. Hes drilling into the bumper to make holes for the Cianci full length rear spoiler.

Here it is on the bumper left to sit overnight to take on some of the shape of the bumper

This is the top of my door, drivers side after the reapir. I made a fu*k up when backing out of my garage a few months ago. Its better than new.

Here is the rear end without the bumper or rear fenders

The front end

A sea of quarter panels, and bumpers

Repairing the rock chips prior to getting sprayed with primer.

Apparently, these were a nightmare to get off

The hood. This got block sanded more times than I can count. Its smooth as a babys bottom now, going to be so freaking sweet when it gets painted.

Here are the front and rear bumpers all prepped and ready to get painted

Here's my dad, spraying the rear bumper

And the finished result

More to come...

UPDATE:

Here are some pictures my dad sent me last week.

Last edited by forg0tmypen; 01-06-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:17 AM
swc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
....to get a repaint!

The day has finally come! My dad brought my 2006 LMB Z06 to his work today to have an estimate written up for a full repaint in LMB Unfortunately, this means I'll be without the car for a few weeks.

Now I know what you winter folks go through.
Why are you repainting whole car? Is your paint beaten up? Love my LMB!
Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Take it to gene perez if it isn't too late. Their work is phenomenal
Old 11-07-2011, 10:25 AM
ChevyCobb
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Curious to know how much when you find out.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:11 AM
rovers2000
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

So why the repaint
Old 11-07-2011, 12:15 PM
SVT F15O
Pro

Pretty sure the car was wrecked and the OP has been piecing it back together.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:44 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SVT F15O
Pretty sure the car was wrecked and the OP has been piecing it back together.
That was a different person
Old 11-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

His dad works at a paint shop, and the car has quite a bit of road chips and such (car was bought with high mileage from a person in Arizona, I believe), so he wants to get it repainted. I am sure that his dad will get it looking better than OEM, without the orange peel and other GM paint issues.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:40 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

The GM orange peel paint adds character.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:59 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

It's getting repainted just because. The car has 70,000 miles of rock chips, scratches and scuffs. Id rate the paint to be about a 4 on a scale of 10. Whatcop, my dad worked as a painter for Gene Perez for over 3 years. When most of the staff "defected" to another shop last year, my dad left as well. He does great work, I've been around body shops and cars my whole life, I can tell a good paint job from a bad one.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:10 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Translator
His dad works at a paint shop, and the car has quite a bit of road chips and such (car was bought with high mileage from a person in Arizona, I believe), so he wants to get it repainted. I am sure that his dad will get it looking better than OEM, without the orange peel and other GM paint issues.
This is correct. The orange peel drives me crazy
Old 11-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

This is correct. The orange peel drives me crazy
Yes, it is most evident on darker colors. Not to mention clear coat runs, fish eyes, dust and imperfections under the clear, etc... Our of curiosity, and you can PM me if you wish, what is the internal cost shop rate for a job like this? I am sure that your dad is only charging for material. I am assuming that the entire car has to be stripped and each panel as well, right?
Old 11-07-2011, 03:43 PM
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had my LMB C6 coupe completely repainted under warranty. I was without it for almost two months. The wait was worth it, as the paint turned out beautifully, and is one of the very few LMB cars without orange peel. The difference in the paint was huge.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:45 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

It's getting repainted just because. The car has 70,000 miles of rock chips, scratches and scuffs. Id rate the paint to be about a 4 on a scale of 10. Whatcop, my dad worked as a painter for Gene Perez for over 3 years. When most of the staff "defected" to another shop last year, my dad left as well. He does great work, I've been around body shops and cars my whole life, I can tell a good paint job from a bad one.
Did not know that. They did my E46 M3 a few years back and another buddy of mine still sends all his bmws over there for paint.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:07 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

You bought the car in AZ? No wonder it's chipped up, sometimes I feel like my DD goes through a sand blaster.. haha. Can't wait to see the car done.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:49 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by whatcop?
Did not know that. They did my E46 M3 a few years back and another buddy of mine still sends all his bmws over there for paint.
Wow, crazy. My dad was just starting out there then. Hes been in the business for over 30 years. He was offered a huge pay increase by Lexus of Tampa Bay and he took the job. Working with Lexus colors is much harder according to him.

Originally Posted by Z06_Mir
You bought the car in AZ? No wonder it's chipped up, sometimes I feel like my DD goes through a sand blaster.. haha. Can't wait to see the car done.
Yep. Bought it on this forum from a guy in Tuscon, and he bought it from a guy in California. The car was used as a daily driver, 50 miles each way to work. That's how it accumulated all the miles. Its never seen snow, but the harmful UV rays from the sun have taken their tole on the exterior.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:52 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ChevyCobb
Curious to know how much when you find out.
Ill post it up. My dad said theyre going to put an estimate on it tomorrow or wed.

Originally Posted by Translator
Yes, it is most evident on darker colors. Not to mention clear coat runs, fish eyes, dust and imperfections under the clear, etc... Our of curiosity, and you can PM me if you wish, what is the internal cost shop rate for a job like this? I am sure that your dad is only charging for material. I am assuming that the entire car has to be stripped and each panel as well, right?
Ill let you know. Im obviously not paying labor, but ill shoot my dad some nice Christmas presents this year. I'm forever in his debt.

Get notified of new replies

To My Z06 is gone!

Old 11-07-2011, 07:52 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

dont dare leave the body shop with out putting clear film on the car, i put mine on @1500 miles and wish it was done @100 miles. i used ventureshield precut rocker kit, easy to put on and saves thousands in paint repair. it only takes about 100 miles before you notice the rear brake ducts getting eaten alive... clear film is your friend
Old 11-07-2011, 08:33 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Does your dad remember this car. I think it happened in 2006.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

Wow, crazy. My dad was just starting out there then. Hes been in the business for over 30 years. He was offered a huge pay increase by Lexus of Tampa Bay and he took the job. Working with Lexus colors is much harder according to him.

Yep. Bought it on this forum from a guy in Tuscon, and he bought it from a guy in California. The car was used as a daily driver, 50 miles each way to work. That's how it accumulated all the miles. Its never seen snow, but the harmful UV rays from the sun have taken their tole on the exterior.
I have friends who have extreme paint fade on their cars (2004-2006) just because they're daily driven. Cars take a real beating down here, and that's why mine sleeps inside.

Quick Reply: [Z06] My Z06 is gone!