Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] B&B Bullets: possible to have less drone/ more quiet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 02:39 AM
Centex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&B Bullets: possible to have less drone/ more quiet?

Hey guys,

I am thrilled to say that I just got my first Z on Wed December 21st ... and I LOVE IT. It even came with B&B bullets - and i love the sound... around town that is ..in stop and go traffic. BUT the car is my daily driver and on occasion makes a long road trip since a live in texas.

Well, tonight I just got back from driving from Austin to Dallas and I must say the drone was almost unbearable. Afterward I had a headache the pitch was so high. My ears felt like I had just got out of a rock concert. It was really that bad.

So my question is this .. (and yes i searched but didnt find anything) .. is it possible to keep the Bullets and perhaps add something to make the drone less ear piercing at 1500-3000 RPM range?....I'm sorry if this sounds silly but have to ask ... would adding a B&B xpipe with high flow cats help in anyway? OR would that just make it worse (louder) all together?

like this one
http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-3...flow-cats.aspx

Seperate question ... will taking off the Bullets cause me to lose hp or tq? I didnt think so but just making sure.

I am not opposed to going back to stock .. I just want to explore every possible option before I spend the time and money to get the stock exhaust put back on.

Thanks guys in advance
Old 12-23-2011, 03:35 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry, no experience with this issue but agreed that drone just plain sucks.

However, take a look at the Billy Boat Fusions if you're trying to stay aftermarket, they use the same exhaust valve setup as OEM and are closed at lower RPMs (and adjustable through the exhaust switches). Maybe someone will trade for your Bullets?
Old 12-23-2011, 06:12 AM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I got the B&B Fusion exhaust with multi mode... I love it...
Old 12-23-2011, 09:53 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

that x-pipe with highflow cats will probably make it louder, I would just put it up for sale and go with a corsa or modded muffler setup. And you MAY lose like 5hp but not enough to notice the stock catbacks on these are very good
Old 12-23-2011, 10:12 AM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Those things are made to be loud...the only thing you can do to make it less loud is to remove them and replace with either Fusions or stock modded mufflers.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Curz
Racer

you could dynamat the entire trunk. That may help.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:08 AM
RaceRick
Racer

Originally Posted by rpanesar
Those things are made to be loud...the only thing you can do to make it less loud is to remove them and replace with either Fusions or stock modded mufflers.
Yes
Old 12-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Centex
Racer

Thanks for the replies guys .. thats what i was thinking .. either stock or B&B Fusions....
Old 12-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

I have 2 friends with the Fusions on their Z06s and I have heard them in person. In the quiet mode they will be way better than the Bullets and in loud mode they are fairly loud but probably still quieter than Bullets. I have the Akrapovic system, which has more bass than the Fusions and in loud mode the Akra drone is significant- in mild mode it's still there but not too bad.

I researched sound deadening materials and ended up using the products in the link here-
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...materials.html
It made quite a bit of difference. It may or may not be enough to make you happy with the Bullets. I've never heard them but I'm told they are loud. I can tell you that the Fusions are a very nice option if you don't want it as quiet as stock. They have a higher tone than my Akras and have very little drone in quiet mode. Those combined with the sound deadener materials I used would be entirely livable even on long trips.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:53 PM
htvette
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've had bullets (too much drone), stock (still drone with valves open) , modded stock (same drone but sounds mean with valves open) and now have borla touring. Little drone but with good sound.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:24 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Centex
Hey guys,

So my question is this .. (and yes i searched but didnt find anything) .. is it possible to keep the Bullets and perhaps add something to make the drone less ear piercing at 1500-3000 RPM range?....I'm sorry if this sounds silly but have to ask ... would adding a B&B xpipe with high flow cats help in anyway? OR would that just make it worse (louder) all together?
Thanks guys in advance
Short answer is no.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Centex
Racer

Originally Posted by Les

I researched sound deadening materials and ended up using the products in the link here-
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...materials.html
It made quite a bit of difference. It may or may not be enough to make you happy with the Bullets. :
I think I may try this ...
Old 12-23-2011, 09:24 PM
383ystrim
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Default stock exhaust

I have the stock exhaust laying around boxed up in my garage. (I believe it is axle back) Not sure what it is worth, but I would make you a good deal if you want to go that route.

No biggie if you don't...just offering.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:28 PM
BAD_TCR
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got bullets on and agree- but i will tell you that you get accustomed to the sound. It was very annoying at first-- but now, it's just part of the car. I have a box of earplugs for my passengers in the glove box if needed. But, after time, when you ride a lot, you'll get use to the sound... or maybe i'm just going deaf! lol.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm willing on betting that insulation will not make it bearable. They make a "PRT" mid pipe, but I don't think they make it for the Z06 but you should look into it. I've had several sets of B&B exhausts including Bullets and loved them, but Bullets are not for everyone.

I'd call B&B and ask for Mike. I have not talked to him in a few years, but he is a great guy and is glad to talk to customers. Ask him if they have anything that will tone it down.

Here is a link to their site...

http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/corvette/c6/
Old 12-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Borla and B&B Bullet exhausts are known for their 'droning' in the lower RPM range, which is why I went to the GHL Bullets - no drone. Great sound and performance.

Here's the C6 Z06 GHL exhaust system.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:18 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,550 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BAD_TCR
I've got bullets on and agree- but i will tell you that you get accustomed to the sound. It was very annoying at first-- but now, it's just part of the car. I have a box of earplugs for my passengers in the glove box if needed. But, after time, when you ride a lot, you'll get use to the sound... or maybe i'm just going deaf! lol.
I have the Bullets and really don't find them that bad at all. Maybe I've been listening to sidepipes for too many years but they just don't bother me at all.

But everyone is different.

Get notified of new replies

To B&B Bullets: possible to have less drone/ more quiet?

Old 12-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
Borla and B&B Bullet exhausts are known for their 'droning' in the lower RPM range, which is why I went to the GHL Bullets - no drone. Great sound and performance.

Here's the C6 Z06 GHL exhaust system.
That's interesting. It's been awhile since I've seen that system mentioned here. The last comments I saw were describing the heavy drone and poor fit for the GHL Z06 system. Have they made some design changes since then?
Old 12-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Centex
Racer

Thanks for all the feedback guys - I am just going to go back to stock .. I have a beagle and the poor guy is stressed when he rides because of the sound .. I can tell because he cant get comfortable and wont lay down. Not to mention my gf is giving me greef about it.... I have to agree at some points in the lower range it just hits a tone in my ears it just rings so loud. O well .. live and learn .. at least I can sell them and come out ahead.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

"drone and poor fit" have never been descriptions I would associate with GHL exhaust systems, at least not in my experience and those that I know that use GHL Bullets on their Corvettes. Contact Chip (Willfullone) - forum member/vendor - for more details on the GHL for the C6 Z06. I tried both the Borla and B&B and sold them because of the drone.
The following users liked this post:
USA1LBvert (01-09-2021)

Quick Reply: [Z06] B&B Bullets: possible to have less drone/ more quiet?