Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Rattling noise on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 02:55 PM
rubric scarab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rattling noise on acceleration

For about the last 4 months I've been hearing occasional rattling on acceleration on my 2007 Z06. At first I thought it was engine ping, as it only seems to happen on acceleration and sounds like engine ping. On the other hand, I only use the highest octane fuel available, and although I usually use Shell V-Power, I also tried BP and others - which made no difference. I first noticed the noise in the summertime with 90 plus degree temps, but the noise has not changed at all, even with temps now in the 30's. I have not noticed any difference in performance while the noise is occurring. I've checked the intake system for any air leaks and have tightened all clamps. Now here is the interesting part - Although I've very occasionally noted the noise while accelerating straight ahead, I can get the noise almost every time while accelerating at 25-50% throttle while in a sweeping right turn, such as on a long freeway entrance ramp, typically between 3000 and 4000 rpm. I have not noticed the noise on sweeping left turns, and only rarely when going straight ahead. Whenever I've noticed the noise going straight ahead, it was under 50% to 100% full throttle. Given that outside temperature or engine temp seem to make no difference, fuel makes no difference, and it seems to happen primarily on right sweeping turns under partial throttle, I'm suspecting exhaust rattle or some other type of rattle under the car that may be affected by engine torque. I have not raised the car to check for contact, but I've looked for anything that could rattle in the engine compartment, with no luck. There have been no engine codes and the car is completely original, except for a Halltech intake system. I used Mobil 1 factory type oil. It is a 2007 Z06 with about 26000 miles on it, never raced, and I have never had any such problem until this year. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:13 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I had a similar noise on my 04 z06, turns out there is a double wall construction of exhaust system between the header and up to the front of the cat.

This is to hasten the heating up of the cat.

The double wall pipe lost it's clearance and a tinny/buzzy rattle began.

You can get under the car & bang on the pipes with a rubber mallet & check it.

It would sound quite a bit like a ping.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:18 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

just a idea, do a search for oil sump o-ring. i have performed this repair on a few z06s with similar symtoms including my own.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:40 PM
vette67
Intermediate

I had the same problem with my 2007 Z06 and it turned out to be a cracked plastic bushing in the shifter. I was lucky in that it was still in warranty and the dealer replaced the entire shifter and the problem was cured. Seems to be a known problem in that the replacement shifter had a different material bushing. Take a look at this area.
Paul
Old 01-01-2012, 06:54 PM
vbjimbo
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Had a similar issue on my 08 so I took it to the dealer to check the o-ring issue in the tank and it turned out to be one of the oil lines vibrating against the firewall. Strapped them down and it fixed everything. See if you can localize it to a particular side of the car as mine was definitely coming from the passenger side, which corresponded to issue/solution.

Good luck figuring it out as I know it is a PITA listening to it!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:23 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The reasons explained by most of the respondence sound like reasonable resons but the Gear shifter is a common issue, I have read of numberous issues pertaining to gear shifter
Best of luck sorting out your isues.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:53 PM
rubric scarab
Advanced

Thanks for all the suggestions, and I will follow up. I read about and considered the O-ring in the oil tank, but what I read doesn't seem to precisely match my noise. I had the shifter rattle fixed long ago, and that seems to be fine. But I suppose a new problem with it could have appeared, such as a cracked bushing. Still, the noise seems to be coming from the engine area, and seems to be more from the driver's side. I briefly looked for lines contacting the firewall a month or two ago. I'll take a closer look per everyone's suggestions while the car is down most of this winter. Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:39 AM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I doubt its shifter rattle.as thats pretty easy to pin.down. Betting exhaust...check.the rear section that comes up over the half shafts. Lay down behind the car (with exhaust cool or better yet warm..wear gloves) grab the exhaust and wiggle (kinda hard) and.see if either one of the pipes (most likely right side) makes contact w the frame. Only takes a minute and.cant hurt.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:57 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

sounds very similar to when one of my cats fell apart except the noise wasn't effected by direction. Exactly like pinging at medium to high throttle. Just something to consider. Good luck diagnosing.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:11 AM
RicemanZ06
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I had a similar noise on my 04 z06, turns out there is a double wall construction of exhaust system between the header and up to the front of the cat.

This is to hasten the heating up of the cat.

The double wall pipe lost it's clearance and a tinny/buzzy rattle began.

You can get under the car & bang on the pipes with a rubber mallet & check it.

It would sound quite a bit like a ping.

My car was rattling also and this was the culprit. A little twist to the shield stopped it.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:47 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,335 Likes on 775 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

This is another possibility.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ed-inside.html
Old 01-05-2012, 06:54 AM
tjkzo6
Racer

Originally Posted by vette67
I had the same problem with my 2007 Z06 and it turned out to be a cracked plastic bushing in the shifter. I was lucky in that it was still in warranty and the dealer replaced the entire shifter and the problem was cured. Seems to be a known problem in that the replacement shifter had a different material bushing. Take a look at this area.
Paul

I had a similar noise and issue and the dealer pulled and replaced my shifter as 'being defective', not only did it have a similar bushing problem but the shifter itself had developed a very sloppy fit which was the source of the rattling. Get your shifter checked out.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:58 PM
gte760v
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rubric scarab
Thanks for all the suggestions, and I will follow up. I read about and considered the O-ring in the oil tank, but what I read doesn't seem to precisely match my noise. I had the shifter rattle fixed long ago, and that seems to be fine. But I suppose a new problem with it could have appeared, such as a cracked bushing. Still, the noise seems to be coming from the engine area, and seems to be more from the driver's side. I briefly looked for lines contacting the firewall a month or two ago. I'll take a closer look per everyone's suggestions while the car is down most of this winter. Thanks again for your help.
Did you ever find a root cause for this? I'm having very similar symptoms on my 08 Z06.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:42 PM
FGO
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pining or tinging noise - intermittent - Solved!

Originally Posted by gte760v
Did you ever find a root cause for this? I'm having very similar symptoms on my 08 Z06.
I'm not sure this is your issue but I have solved my pinging/tinging issue. It turned out to be the heat shields on the interior back hatch lights. Easy fix by applying a little aluminum tape to hold it to the fixture. I only found it when I was changing the interior lights to LED. As soon as it rattled in my hand I knew I had it!
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
427C62013A (02-08-2018)
Old 10-14-2023, 05:35 PM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2013 Grand Sport with 27,xxx miles. I've been daily driving it for over a year now. Around May 2023 it started making the noise you hear in the video above. It was subtle at first but now it pretty much does it through all gears. It doesn't seem to matter if I have the clutch pressed all the way in or just cruising, it does it in all gears. In person it's not as loud as it is in the video.

This link is to ONE video--->https://photos.app.goo.gl/E3XcyjQM34MUzyE9A

This other link is to a handful of videos in case anyone is curious enough to listen------> https://photos.app.goo.gl/5sHKyzA5oD8jmez46

I've already tried an MGW shifter but there was no change. I bought a replacement OEM shifter and boots but still no change.

I have already taken it to a transmission shop, they test drove it and said the transmission shift perfectly and they don't think it's a transmission issue. They didn't charge to test drive but they said it would cost a lot to take everything apart down there to get a look.

Feel free to reach me directly at sgarcia8028@gmail.com 909-319-5457
Old 10-14-2023, 05:52 PM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RicemanZ06
My car was rattling also and this was the culprit. A little twist to the shield stopped it.
Hey where or what exactly did you twist? Here is the noise my car is making..

This link is to ONE video--->https://photos.app.goo.gl/E3XcyjQM34MUzyE9A

This other link is to a handful of videos in case anyone is curious enough to listen------> https://photos.app.goo.gl/5sHKyzA5oD8jmez46

Get notified of new replies

To Rattling noise on acceleration

Quick Reply: [Z06] Rattling noise on acceleration