Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] 427 vert,no surprise.Ultra light ZR1-surprise!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:58 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Assumedly this light weight car would have some different seat in it, right? After all, we're talking a track car, so one assumes a track-oriented seat?

Ooops. There's a crash test right there.

Also, since '09, the C6 platform has been unable to pass the increased US federal side impact regulations without its side airbags. That's why at some point not too long ago, the side airbags were no longer an option. So if you replace the seats you'll need to make sure they incorporate a side airbag as well, right?

Hm. More crash testing.

And how many of these are going to sell?

jas
So what's your opinion on whether GM would give the ZR1 at least a few more HP, say something like at least 13, if you know what I mean

Obviously the car really doesn't need more HP but bragging rights does help with sales.

Cheers, Paul.

BTW, I did end up getting a V as a DD and within 200 miles started doing mods...man it's easy to make more HP when the factory gives you a blower
Old 01-25-2012, 09:10 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
So what's your opinion on whether GM would give the ZR1 at least a few more HP, say something like at least 13, if you know what I mean

Obviously the car really doesn't need more HP but bragging rights does help with sales.
I don't think they'll do it, because I don't think they care about the other 650HP car you're referencing. It's not a blip on the Corvette's RADAR.

jas
Old 01-25-2012, 10:31 AM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkP
While I absolutely love Ferraris and Lamborghinis, and have a long list of ones I'd love to own in my lifetime, let's not be too quick to put the two companies up on a pedestal.

Ferrari has had their fair share of financial problems over the years - as has Lamborghini - hence the reason why Lamborghini has changed owners a few times and is now owned by Audi.

GM may be bloated, but thus far, GM has never been owned by another company - yet.
GM is owned by the government. But that doesn't change the fact that Ferrari, Porsche and Lambo are focused on making great cars. GM isn't. They're focused on profits and it shows. I mean the Z06/ZR1 is almost there. A few little changes and they could have been epic. They're great no doubt but still lacking that last 5%. It's like they said,"well that's pretty. we'll stop here".
Old 01-25-2012, 11:08 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 355Spider
GM is owned by the government. But that doesn't change the fact that Ferrari, Porsche and Lambo are focused on making great cars. GM isn't. They're focused on profits and it shows. I mean the Z06/ZR1 is almost there. A few little changes and they could have been epic. They're great no doubt but still lacking that last 5%. It's like they said,"well that's pretty. we'll stop here".
Define "great car." I don't see too many Z06s and ZR1s bursting into flames at an alarming rate. I'm convinced that Italy is cursed. If you place any engine into any car aft of the passenger cabin within the borders of Italy, it WILL succumb to fire. Boutique automakers have the luxury of "people will buy my ****, even if it is just that."

Porsche makes great cars. Ferrari and Lamborghini make desirable cars. Neither of those brands makes a car worth owning that is less than 100k. And Porsche doesn't make anything that is designed to tow a 5th wheel or schlep a new high school graduate to college. On the other hand, GM makes 1 car over 100k.

Last edited by 4GS7; 01-25-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
I think we all new this was coming being that a 500+ h.p.convertable camaro was looming but what would have been a REAL surprise???Howsabout a radio/a.c/carpet/soundproofing/power amenities and whatever else is needed,delete option so as to reclaim the ring time from you know who! Would have been a nice way to go out.
All of that just to make an attempt at improving on some unofficial, unsanctioned, unregulated Ring time?
Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 355Spider
I mean the Z06/ZR1 is almost there. A few little changes and they could have been epic. They're great no doubt but still lacking that last 5%. It's like they said,"well that's pretty. we'll stop here".
So if that last little bit really matters to you why not just do it yourself??? Then not only do you get exactly what you want but you also get something that not just anybody with a wallet full of cash can get by walking into a dealership.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by Notch
All of that just to make an attempt at improving on some unofficial, unsanctioned, unregulated Ring time?
Whats with all the un's? And it's not "ALL of that",it's LESS of that.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
Whats with all the un's? And it's not "ALL of that",it's LESS of that.
I assume you understand the difference between regulated and "un"regulated?

"radio/a.c/carpet/soundproofing/power" = "all of that".

Quick Reply: [ZR1] 427 vert,no surprise.Ultra light ZR1-surprise!