Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Anyone Else pissed off by the 2013 427 Convertible Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by hot-toy
As an owner of one of a couple 427 Corvette's I have to tell you I'm a bit irritated by the recent GM announcement of the 2013 427 convertible. GM Marketing has been pushing what they claim to be unique limited production cars at a premium price just to make a similar combination available one-two years later. For example:
- 2007 Ron Fellows Z06 in white- three years later the Z06 std colors included white
- 2008 Wil Cooksey 427 Z06 in Crystal Red - two years later the Z06 std colors included Crystal red
- All c6 Z06’s - The introduction of Grand Sport body with ZR1 and Z06 body appeal.

Now we get the 2013 427 Convertible. I love my 68 427 Convertible three duce car and my 427 Will Cooksey Z06 but I have to tell you I’m getting sick & tied of GM doing this stuff to loyal corvette owners. This is the stuff that will drive me toward another manufacture for my next car or truck purchase. Anyone else pissed off about GM undercutting previous customers.
I'm not. I bought my Z to enjoy driving and modding it, not by dreaming about it's resale value someday or it's exclusivity. Car's are terrible investment's on monetary return. Enjoy your Z for what it is bro, not for what you can sell it 30 years from now.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:27 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

WGAF, I don't. I have my car to drive, not the potential future resale value. If I was worried about that, I probably ought to invest my money into something that actually makes money.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Doesn't bother me. I'll be dead before the "collectibility" of my Z06 is decided. I didn't buy it for that, especially seeing how the economy was trending at the time. I bought it because it was an exceptional performance value and was a great companion for my 69 427 Vette. GM is trying to keep market appeal alive at the end of the production run and I can't blame them. If I let things like this that I can't control upset me I'd be worried about myself.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:38 PM
383ystrim
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

The days of having a truly collectable car in today's world in very very slim. Those days are gone unless you buy some sort of crazy exotic. Our world is all about money and "hey look at me". It costs you money to be one of the first guys on the block with a new "limited addition car". The ZR1 was a prime example. They wanted full sticker plus $25k and people tripped over one another in the beginning to get one. Now what? Until we the people stop trying to out do each other and control our own destiny...then lets stop bitching. GM and every manufacturer just sits back and laughs. They make all the money...we just lose it.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Marc Lefebvre
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by achilds
No it doesn't **** me off. You should worry about bigger things in life than what GM markets.
Excellent contribution to this thread.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:12 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by 90sundevil
What do you bet they will sell the 1st 427 Vert at Barrett Jackson in a one off color to some sucker for 250k or more.
That's a given.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:12 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
I think the LS7 vert is a cool idea. If you're that upset about it you can check out the 370z's. I hear they are great cars.
Do the 370z and the gtr have valve guide clearance problems. Reason I ask is because I'm thinking about dropping my c6z06.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:38 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I agree with this thread topic.....but its about selling cars and giving people what they want. Exclusivity went out the door a long time ago for the Z06, and I will tell you, my current Z is my last "newer" vette purchase...427 verts, Grand Sports, ZR1s, C7....just don't interest me as much as my '08 Z.

Last edited by LFZ; 01-15-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:15 PM
JasonH
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the market for a new Z06 and the 427 vert does not interest me, or bother me that it will exist. The Z06 is unique for reasons more than just the LS7, and the characteristics and performance of the LS7 are unique in the Z06 application. The Z06 is a track star, the 427 vert will be a cruising star.

Recall that GM put the LS6 from the C5Z in all kinds of vehicles, Trailblazer SS, CTSV, etc. None of that took away from the package that was the C5Z.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:22 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

As an owner of one of a couple 427 Corvette's I have to tell you I'm a bit irritated by the recent GM announcement of the 2013 427 convertible. GM Marketing has been pushing what they claim to be unique limited production cars at a premium price just to make a similar combination available one-two years later. For example:
- 2007 Ron Fellows Z06 in white- three years later the Z06 std colors included white
- 2008 Wil Cooksey 427 Z06 in Crystal Red - two years later the Z06 std colors included Crystal red
- All c6 Z06’s - The introduction of Grand Sport body with ZR1 and Z06 body appeal.

Now we get the 2013 427 Convertible. I love my 68 427 Convertible three duce car and my 427 Will Cooksey Z06 but I have to tell you I’m getting sick & tied of GM doing this stuff to loyal corvette owners. This is the stuff that will drive me toward another manufacture for my next car or truck purchase. Anyone else pissed off about GM undercutting previous customers.
Huh? What you said make zero sense. What is your point? Would you be happier if all Corvettes still had a Blue Flame Six and Powerglide transmission?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:23 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I am with you brother. I believe that we were deceived by GM. I bought my 427 Wil Cooksey only because I was told that GM will not be making the Z06 in Crystal Red, and Dark Titanium Gray interior. Based on that info, I paid extra for my Z06. I thought I would be one of 505 with this color scheme and this was the only way possible to have these options.
Am I mad at GM? Not really. They did what they felt was necessary to survive. Will I ever buy another GM Limited Edition Car? No Way!!
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, not going to happen.
BTW, I am still very happy that I own my 427 LE. And, I do like the 427 Vert and I do not have a problem with it.

Last edited by xcutter; 01-15-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by KLLRVET
WGAF, I don't. I have my car to drive, not the potential future resale value. If I was worried about that, I probably ought to invest my money into something that actually makes money.
Wow. No s**t.

This ongoing fantasy that GM is in the business of creating Corvettes for heritage sake and that a few angry owners are gonna "show them who's boss" by going out and buying a Ford instead just really makes me laugh out loud (as I'm sure it does those poor secretaries and middle-managers at GM who have to read their letters.) It's even more humorous when you consider that GM does not need the Corvette one bit. They could shut down the entire enterprise, write off the exercise as a loss on their taxes and say "good riddance to all that aggravation."

Let's all say it out loud once again, "GM is in business to SELL VEHICLES." No other reason. Period. If you think anything different about them then you have been sold (or sold yourself) a real whopper. GM manufactures and markets vehicles all over planet Earth and the bleatings of a few owners here and there about how GM hurt their feelings or somehow screwed with their "investment" are completely meaningless to them. If they sell an extra 100 Corvettes via a "marketing model" while losing 5 "future" (!) owners who are offended by it that's just part of doing business with the general public on such a grand scale. They already have your money, btw. They are truly not concerned about any money you *might* have given them 2,3,5 years hence.

GM sold 2,215,227 cars in 2011. So, if 100 angry had people dropped out of that figure it would represent a sales drop of .000004514%.

Would I (2007 Z06 owner) have preferred that my car and its components remained unique? Definitely. But I also realized *at the time* that it was almost certainly just wishful thinking and that GM, like car companies the world over (including the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini,) sees their inventory as a giant parts bin from which they can create "mix and match" vehicles than can/will (hopefully) appeal to a certain market segment and allow them to SELL MORE VEHICLES (their raison d'etre.)

That's the bottom line, kids. It's all about total annual sales. Always has been, always will be. Believing otherwise is pretty darned close to believing in the tooth fairy.

Btw, there is a big difference between a "collectible" car and an "investment" car. Buying a 427 vert as an investment car is a iffy thing (at best,) but it will definitely be a collectible Corvette.

Z//
Old 01-15-2012, 07:30 PM
droptopsnake01
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

typical corvette owner. Elitest
Old 01-15-2012, 07:30 PM
gotz06?
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
More options the better. As far as I care you should be able to go online and order a vette however you want. Pick the motor, tranny, body panels (wide, narrow), coupe, hardtop, vette, wheels, rear end ratio, interior, etc.

Anyone buying new vettes to collect or special editions expecting them to have more value is just delusional.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by xcutter
I believe that we were deceived by GM. I bought my 427 Wil Cooksey only because I was told that GM will not be making the Z06 in Crystal Red, and Dark Titanium Gray interior. Based on that info, I paid extra for my Z06. I thought I would be one of 505 with this color scheme and this was the only way possible to have these options.
The relevant question is "who told you that?"

If it was GM (which I doubt) then you have a beef. If it was the dealer then you can't claim you were deceived by GM. They are not the same thing and GM can't be held responsible for the BS that almost all dealers will spew in order to make a sale.

Z//
Old 01-15-2012, 07:38 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I think it's great marketing. As a Z06 owner, I was hoping that the LS7 would remain unique to the Z06, but I think it's a good move by GM.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Huh, why would you even let yourself be concerned about it? The only ones I could think would be disturbed are people who previously wanted a 427 Vert and bought something else when none were offered.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Else pissed off by the 2013 427 Convertible Announcement

Old 01-15-2012, 07:48 PM
thumperZ06
Great State of Utah
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Default 2cents

IMO
I guess I fall into the category, that I am happy with my car 06C6Z.
I didnt purchase the car for investment but to have a car that offered lots of excitement, enjoyment and I have not been disappointed

At my age, I intend to enjoy all of my toys including the Z06 until they take my keys away. I Just dont have time to worry about things that I cant control.Enjoy these cars while you can folks.. may not have any fuel for them in the future

One Happy Camper

ThumperZ06
Old 01-15-2012, 07:54 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

why be pissed off, I think it's great because it will be a one year, unique set up. Heck I've been wanting to get a ZR1 but I think now, I may just go towards a 2013 427 60th aniv. Really all this did for me is to be more torn about which to get...damn you GM for doing that to me! lol
Old 01-15-2012, 07:55 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Lefebvre
Excellent contribution to this thread.
I'll take that as a compliment.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Anyone Else pissed off by the 2013 427 Convertible Announcement