Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Clutch smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Ramsair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Clutch smell

I have 27,xxx on the clock… in the last 2k miles whenever I come to a stop and exit the car (after getting it up to running temp) I can smell a little burnt clutch fluid odor coming up from under the hood. I can put my nose into the back part of the hood and it is more pronounced. My car was at the dealership a week ago for the clicking sound in the wheel and I asked them to look for leaks… non found. Clutch performs as it did when I got the car at 15,xxx and I have done the Ranger method for keeping the fluid clear and the level does not drop. That said, the mechanic said that Z’s are notorious for a slight clutch fluid smell as they get older… anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks

Chris
Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 PM
c6paulnc
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes and yes.

1. I can smell the clutch after going round and round in the parking garage. I think (hope) the slight smell is normal...I have only 6000 on the odo.

2. Clicking sound. When I engage the clutch and let the car roll slowly out of the garage at home, I hear a ticking sound but if I pull the car out of gear and let it continue to roll back, the sound goes away. I would liek to know what the cause is...
Old 01-19-2012, 07:37 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramsair
I have 27,xxx on the clock… in the last 2k miles whenever I come to a stop and exit the car (after getting it up to running temp) I can smell a little burnt clutch fluid odor coming up from under the hood. I can put my nose into the back part of the hood and it is more pronounced. My car was at the dealership a week ago for the clicking sound in the wheel and I asked them to look for leaks… non found. Clutch performs as it did when I got the car at 15,xxx and I have done the Ranger method for keeping the fluid clear and the level does not drop. That said, the mechanic said that Z’s are notorious for a slight clutch fluid smell as they get older… anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks

Chris

Any chance that when you were changing out the fluid in the reservoir you might have got a few drops on the exhaust?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:56 PM
acthegiant
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clutch might be gone

My clutch was replaced at 20k miles. First symptoms were the 'burning clutch smell', after high rpm shifts (not abusive). I was skeptical, but bought the car with 7k miles. As the mileage got higher, the clutch got progressively weaker to the point at the end it would only engage in the final inch or so of travel. The previous owner obviously abused the clutch...

When I replaced the clutch, I verified the old one was definitely worn out and it was a night and day difference in the performance of the car, not that it was bad even with the worn clutch, just much more responsive and strong.

In short, it may drive fine for you right now; however, if the clutch is worn out (regardless of the reason) you are missing out on a lot of the power that the LS7 can put out even if it still feels strong in its current state - at least that was my experience.

Be advised it is expensive as heck to replace the C6 clutch; but in the end it was worth it to me. If you have GMPP, check with your mechanic, in many many cases, legitimate problems with the clutch master cylinder were covered (clutch disk is NOT) which covered a fair amount of the labor to replace the clutch disk, but not all. If you don't have GMPP, you are out of luck there and will have to carry the whole load.

If the performance isn't bad... live with it, i did for 13k miles till it was slipping too much.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:58 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Are you smelling a burnt clutch smell or clutch (brake) fluid? I'm not sure anyone here knows what burnt brake fluid smells like.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Ramsair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

So the car has more power to the rear wheels than I can control in first and second... seriously. Running Bstones at 30 psi and it breaks loose even in full traction control on mode. No slippage at all. (yet) The car shifts up and the minimal amount of down that I do with no issues at all.

I know for a fact that I did not spill a drop down... I cover everything with a towel... overly cautious.

The smell is the same as burning brake fluid, because that is what we use is my guess.

At least the issue is documented, as I am covered thru Feb of 2013 GMPP.

The clicking was the 2 part StopTech Brake rotor loosening up - they tightened some of the 10 screws and the clicking is gone.

I had an 87 vett and it ate clutches like it was going out of style... was NOT impressed with that system back then. I know the symptoms of a bad clutch and this 2006 has none of them… what was strange is the reaction of the dealership telling me that the “smell” is normal for Z’s and that I would just need to get use to it.

Guess it is what it is until it isn’t!

Last edited by Ramsair; 01-19-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Chris,

That is a good attitude to have. Keep an eye on it and let me know if you feel it is getting worse or is the result of some kind of concern. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a little bit of clutch smell - specifically if you're in stop and go traffic - is not a problem IMHO. You might be slipping the clutch a little (in the process of shifting smoothly) and getting it a little hot; or you could have a very, very small leak somewhere that has yet to be detected.

Have you checked your actual brake fluid level (since you smell fluid) - could there be an issue with the StopTech rotors?

In either case, I think you answered your own question: it is what it is - if it's bad, you'll find out in due time.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch smell

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clutch smell