Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Conversion of Early Dry Sump (8qt) to the Late model (10½qt)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by QIKSLVR
In the process of installing the OEM '09 tank into my '07 Z and have discovered a problem. The '09 plumbing harness fittings that attach to the rocker arm covers are different. I purchased the '09 plumbing harness to make the install easy but it has become anything but. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
I wasn't aware that there was a change from '06 to '07 fittings on the rocker arm cover fittings as they fit right up on my '06. Got any pictures?
Old 03-04-2012, 01:48 PM
QIKSLVR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three images are still 'pending approval' in the photo gallery before I can upload. They will answer your questions.

There are two 'air tubes' (as worded in the service manual) that have fittings on the top of the dry sump oil reservoir. The one closest to the fire wall (rear port) is the 'PCV dirty air tube.' (The front port is the PCV fresh air port). The small dry sump tank only has one air tube at the top of the tank. It is a dirty air tube because it is 'T'ed' to the dirty air tube on the main tank per service manual illustrations.

My concern is splicing into the dirty air tube plumbing harness that is fabricated out of black PVC. If that plumbing harness gets much oil in it at extreme temps and pressures, will my splice hold or will there be oil all over my engine compartment?; will it adversly affect oil pressures. It is one thing to clamp rubber tubing and quite another to clamp PVC.

The air tube plumbing harnesses are fabricated with the end clamps and 'T' clamps. So they can withstand the pressure and heat generated.

Do you understand my concern?

I'm beginning to think that I should have purchased the Lingenfelter tank. But my car is still under the GMPP warranty and will be until 10/2013. Perhaps I should let the dealer do the install? It looks to be such a simple R&R project except for this %$&@# issue!
Old 03-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Three images are still 'pending approval' in the photo gallery before I can upload. They will answer your questions.

There are two 'air tubes' (as worded in the service manual) that have fittings on the top of the dry sump oil reservoir. The one closest to the fire wall (rear port) is the 'PCV dirty air tube.' (The front port is the PCV fresh air port). The small dry sump tank only has one air tube at the top of the tank. It is a dirty air tube because it is 'T'ed' to the dirty air tube on the main tank per service manual illustrations.

My concern is splicing into the dirty air tube plumbing harness that is fabricated out of black PVC. If that plumbing harness gets much oil in it at extreme temps and pressures, will my splice hold or will there be oil all over my engine compartment?; will it adversly affect oil pressures. It is one thing to clamp rubber tubing and quite another to clamp PVC.

The air tube plumbing harnesses are fabricated with the end clamps and 'T' clamps. So they can withstand the pressure and heat generated.

I'm beginning to think that I should have purchased the Lingenfelter tank. But my car is still under the GMPP warranty and will be until 10/2013. Perhaps I should let the dealer do the install? It looks to be such a simple R&R project except for this %$&@# issue!
Don't understand why you need to splice into your vent plumbing.

Sending you a PM so we can discuss off line.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Why wait for approval just upload them to Photobucket and just post them in the thread?

Bill
Old 03-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Why wait for approval just upload them to Photobucket and just post them in the thread?

Bill
Here are my vent line attachments:

Valve cover

Top of tank:

And the parts diagram:

Old 03-04-2012, 05:28 PM
QIKSLVR
Instructor

Minkster, here are the pix:

PCV Dirty Air Tube

Note how the bend at the right bank valve/rocker cover attachment is different between what I purchased and yours. Your configuration is what I have on my 2007 Z and what I purchased doesn't have a 90° bend on the coupling; the bend is 3" past the coupling into the hard pvc line.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...90275/cat/1011
Attachment on my current 2007 Z at the left bank valve/rocker cover.

Note how coupling is a different style on the 2010 plumbing harness vs what is on my '07 Z. Additionally, the 2010 plumbing harness coupling at the left bank valve/rocker cover is a 90° bend vs a 135° bend on my '07 Z
Old 03-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Minkster, here are the pix:

PCV Dirty Air Tube

Note how the bend at the right bank valve/rocker cover attachment is different between what I purchased and yours. Your configuration is what I have on my 2007 Z and what I purchased doesn't have a 90° bend on the coupling; the bend is 3" past the coupling into the hard pvc line.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...90275/cat/1011
Attachment on my current 2007 Z at the left bank valve/rocker cover.

Note how coupling is a different style on the 2010 plumbing harness vs what is on my '07 Z. Additionally, the 2010 plumbing harness coupling at the left bank valve/rocker cover is a 90° bend vs a 135° bend on my '07 Z
It looks like your vent lines are shaped different than mine.

Take a look here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1572099133-post88.html

Mine is for the '09 motor. What's the part number for those lines?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:54 PM
QIKSLVR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Minkster
It looks like your vent lines are shaped different than mine.

Take a look here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1572099133-post88.html

Mine is for the '09 motor. What's the part number for those lines?

Part number my dealer ordered is 12623296. Perhaps it's for a 2010?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Part number my dealer ordered is 12623296. Perhaps it's for a 2010?
See if you can swap that one for 12623297.

Last edited by Minkster; 03-04-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: extra '3' in part no.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:01 PM
QIKSLVR
Instructor

See if you can swap that one for 126233297.
You got it....thanks for all of your help!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 PM
QIKSLVR
Instructor

Well, the correct PCV Dirty Air Tube arrived at the dealership late Thursday. (I confirmed that it was the correct one when I got home that evening.)

On Saturday, I went over a buddy’s home as he has a lift. The removal of the 8½ qt tank and installation of the 10½ qt tank was a breeze. However, there was one minor issue. When the 10½ qt tank is installed, the supplemental oil reservoir on the OEM tank pushes the main wiring harness 3”-6” laterally away from where it needs to be. Needless to say, that causes the ancillary connection from the main harness to the oil temp sensor to become too short (by 3”-6”).

So after splicing into that pigtail, soldering the connections and using some heat shrink tubing to insulate the splice, all that was left was to button things up with proper torques and add oil. (By the way, the change of tanks required a full 11 quarts of oil. Perhaps due to the draining of the oil tank inlet/outlet lines when they were disconnected from the oil tank.)

A hearty ‘Thank You’ to Minkster for his help in assisting me to determine the correct year needed when replacing the PCV Dirty Air Tube and for supplying the link to the thread that has the pix of the install.

And a ‘Thank You’ to Jason H @ Katech for selling me his used 10½ qt tank. It looked brand new when I got it.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Well, the correct PCV Dirty Air Tube arrived at the dealership late Thursday. (I confirmed that it was the correct one when I got home that evening.)

On Saturday, I went over a buddy’s home as he has a lift. The removal of the 8½ qt tank and installation of the 10½ qt tank was a breeze. However, there was one minor issue. When the 10½ qt tank is installed, the supplemental oil reservoir on the OEM tank pushes the main wiring harness 3”-6” laterally away from where it needs to be. Needless to say, that causes the ancillary connection from the main harness to the oil temp sensor to become too short (by 3”-6”).

So after splicing into that pigtail, soldering the connections and using some heat shrink tubing to insulate the splice, all that was left was to button things up with proper torques and add oil. (By the way, the change of tanks required a full 11 quarts of oil. Perhaps due to the draining of the oil tank inlet/outlet lines when they were disconnected from the oil tank.)

A hearty ‘Thank You’ to Minkster for his help in assisting me to determine the correct year needed when replacing the PCV Dirty Air Tube and for supplying the link to the thread that has the pix of the install.

And a ‘Thank You’ to Jason H @ Katech for selling me his used 10½ qt tank. It looked brand new when I got it.
Great!

I had the same problem with the wiring harness, but was able to push it over the top of the smaller (AUX) tank so it could make it down to the main tank temp sensor. Anyhow, great you got it hooked up!

Old 03-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Great!

I had the same problem with the wiring harness, but was able to push it over the top of the smaller (AUX) tank so it could make it down to the main tank temp sensor. Anyhow, great you got it hooked up!

Way to go Rich

DH
Old 03-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Glad to see it went to a good home.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Way to go Rich

DH

No worries!

Old 03-13-2012, 01:45 PM
JOHN*99*
Advanced

Default Vent line with Fast Intake

I just installed the Lingenfelter tank on my 06 Z with a Fast 102 intake and noticed that vent line that goes to the drivers side is almost too short to attach. This appears to be caused by the Fast being taller then the stock intake. The line has a molded kink in it for the original intake. Is it possible to straighten the line by heating it? If not what size tubing is necessary to add some length? I don't really want to cut it until I have some idea what is necessary?
Old 03-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by JOHN*99*
I just installed the Lingenfelter tank on my 06 Z with a Fast 102 intake and noticed that vent line that goes to the drivers side is almost too short to attach. This appears to be caused by the Fast being taller then the stock intake. The line has a molded kink in it for the original intake. Is it possible to straighten the line by heating it? If not what size tubing is necessary to add some length? I don't really want to cut it until I have some idea what is necessary?
Just cut the ends and the T out of the factory line and make your own with rubber fuel line hose. It's a much cleaner way to do it and you can bend/hide the hose anywhere you want.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:47 PM
JOHN*99*
Advanced

Jason

Thanks for the response, you are quick.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:53 PM
corvettejoe09
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by double06
I did the conversion it takes about 2 hours. I did the LPE one and I have a 2006.
I did the exact same thing today. Very straight forward. I feel better now knowing when I track it again, the oil pressure will be good.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Conversion of Early Dry Sump (8qt) to the Late model (10½qt)