Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Conversion of Early Dry Sump (8qt) to the Late model (10½qt)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:25 PM
QIKSLVR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Conversion of Early Dry Sump (8qt) to the Late model (10½qt)

Has anyone had any experience with converting their 8qt dry sump to the newer 10½ qt dry sump? I am considering the change because at greater than 1.3 g's the bearings can become oil starved. And since I track the car using Hoosiers, I was advised that sooner is better than later.

I notice that the GM 10½ qt dry sump appears to have a different oil cooler compared the earlier Z's.

Was wondering if the older oil cooler must be swapped out in favor of the newer one when the oil tank reservoir is changed to the larger capacity reservoir?

Any comments would be helpful.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

GM added an extra tank to the side of the main reservoir to increase the volume. All the Z06's use the same oil cooler except for the 2011 & 2012 which use the ZR1 oil cooler that is mounted to the side of the oil pan, and uses the radiator's coolant to heat/cool the oil. If you just want to increase the capacity, get a later(2009+) reservoir or a LPE modified reservoir(11 qt capacity system vs 10.5 with the GM reservoir).
Old 02-10-2012, 09:02 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Default Conversion

I did the conversion it takes about 2 hours. I did the LPE one and I have a 2006.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:28 PM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Really? Only 2 hours? When modifying the Z NOTHING only takes 2 hours. Hell an oil.change normally takes me 3.

Originally Posted by double06
I did the conversion it takes about 2 hours. I did the LPE one and I have a 2006.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:13 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by QIKSLVR
Has anyone had any experience with converting their 8qt dry sump to the newer 10½ qt dry sump? I am considering the change because at greater than 1.3 g's the bearings can become oil starved. And since I track the car using Hoosiers, I was advised that sooner is better than later.

I notice that the GM 10½ qt dry sump appears to have a different oil cooler compared the earlier Z's.

Was wondering if the older oil cooler must be swapped out in favor of the newer one when the oil tank reservoir is changed to the larger capacity reservoir?

Do the LPE mod...$300 is worth it.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:35 PM
QIKSLVR
Instructor

Originally Posted by double06
Does the LPE conversion come with directions? If you completed the conversion in about 2 hours, I take it that fender removal was not necessary as it would be with swapping the older 8 qt GM reservoir for the newer larger GM product?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:45 PM
dun4791
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
GM added an extra tank to the side of the main reservoir to increase the volume. All the Z06's use the same oil cooler except for the 2011 & 2012 which use the ZR1 oil cooler that is mounted to the side of the oil pan, and uses the radiator's coolant to heat/cool the oil. If you just want to increase the capacity, get a later(2009+) reservoir or a LPE modified reservoir(11 qt capacity system vs 10.5 with the GM reservoir).
What, if anything, is the difference in oil temperatures between the two systems?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:50 PM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Hopefully the oil comes up to temp faster, cause the '06 I have takes a long time to get past 150 degrees....

I might need to add that I have 3 small children, and only limited periods of time alone with my baby...so wasting it waiting for the oil to come up to temps sucks!
Old 02-11-2012, 01:14 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by dun4791
What, if anything, is the difference in oil temperatures between the two systems?
I can't say what the higher limits are as I haven't tried the ZR1 cooler. With the older design(heat exchanger in front of the A/C condenser), it takes a long time to get the oil temps up in cold weather. 40 degree ambient and I have problems getting over 140 degrees. You won't have that problem with the newer ZR1 oil cooler. I have never had a problem with overheating with the oil style oil cooler. I don't think I've ever been over 225 degrees oil temp. and that was after some fairly hard driving around Talledega at 160+ MPH.

The oil pan on the ZR1 and later model Z06's have a couple of tapped bosses on the side of the pan(that the earlier cars don't have) in which to mount the heat exchanger. If you wanted to go with the later style oil cooler you would have to get the newer style oil pan or make some special mounting brackets.
I beleive that is what Edelbrock did(special brackets) to be able to use the newer style cooler so they could get rid of the heat exchanger in front of the condenser so they could mount the supercharger's heat exchanger in that location.

I don't worry about it, as I very seldom drive the car when the ambient temps are below 50 degrees.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-11-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by edmundu
Hopefully the oil comes up to temp faster, cause the '06 I have takes a long time to get past 150 degrees....

I might need to add that I have 3 small children, and only limited periods of time alone with my baby...so wasting it waiting for the oil to come up to temps sucks!
I cannot think of any logical reason why an increase of capacity only will yield increased temps. I would think it would be the opposite.

Last edited by Wulverine; 02-11-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:25 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LOUFY
I cannot think of any logical reason why an increase of capacity only will yield increased temps. I would think it would be the opposite.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I've done the conversion. It's easy. The only modification you have to do is tee into the vacuum line that goes to the valve covers to add the line going down to the vent on the secondary tank. Honestly that hardest part is wrestling the two tanks into the fender. I had to disconnect the clamp that holds the two parts together, then reinstall the clamp once they were in. It probably took me a couple hours if that.

The tank has nothing to do with the new oil cooler.

Since I did the conversion I switched over to an ARE Stage 3 system, so I have my old 10.5qt tank for sale.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...-complete.html

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 02-11-2012, 02:50 PM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GMuffley

I was referring to the newer style heat exchanger, that uses engine coolant rather than stacked fins/plates on mine.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:51 PM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

Can one use just the newer style exchanger, without converting over to the 10.5qt tank?

Would anything beyond the exchanger & lines be needed?
Old 02-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by edmundu
Can one use just the newer style exchanger, without converting over to the 10.5qt tank?

Would anything beyond the exchanger & lines be needed?
The cooler and tank are in different areas of the oil circuit. You can do one without doing the other. Of the top of my head you will need the cooler, oil lines, the different surge tank hose, and the fitting for the block.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:36 PM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

Thx Jason!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:20 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

This thread shows installation of both tanks:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...tallation.html

Get notified of new replies

To Conversion of Early Dry Sump (8qt) to the Late model (10½qt)

Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 AM
QIKSLVR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Minkster
This thread shows installation of both tanks:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...tallation.html
Minkster, thanks for the link
Old 02-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Minkster, thanks for the link
Old 03-03-2012, 10:49 AM
QIKSLVR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Minkster
In the process of installing the OEM '09 tank into my '07 Z and have discovered a problem. The '09 plumbing harness fittings that attach to the rocker arm covers are different. I purchased the '09 plumbing harness to make the install easy but it has become anything but. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Conversion of Early Dry Sump (8qt) to the Late model (10½qt)