Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Best street tires for 19/20 setup...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:43 AM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

Received 333 Likes on 140 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

Default Best street tires for 19/20 setup...

Not looking to buy the most expensive, but something good overall, with decent performance, longevity, and affordable. (Not asking for much huh, lol)
Thinking about buying 2012 Cup wheels, lemme know what's out there, thanks!!

Are the new Pilot Super Sports avail to the public yet? Anyone know of a price?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:32 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been chasing the answer to that question myself. And what I have learned to date is this:

For an optimum 19/20 tire set-up, my best Z06 choices are . . . .

Luke and the good folks at The Tire Rack advise that the Michelin PS2 ZP is THE tire Michelin specifically engineered for the Z06 & ZR1 for street use, and there is nothing one can substitute that will perform better, including non-ZP. That's a strong endorsement.

Forum members have reported liking the combination of value and performance they get with the Nitto set-up. Most folks report liking the money they save over other choices and that both traction and noise are much improved over the OE Goodyears. They can be purchased in a wider rear size.

The Michelin Super Sport, just now available, is an excellent tire. It will most likely wear longer and cost less than the PS2's. It was not specifically engineered for Z06 & Zr1 applications. It is not ZP. They can be purchased in more sizes. I think there are going to be lots of folks looking to this tire for the Michelin performance at a slightly lower cost.

The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires are the set-up for a combo track/street use. What you gain in grip in the dry you more than loose in the wet. So if you are considering tracking and don't ever expect to be doing rainy driving, they are an excellent option.

It is a few and far between forum member who likes the Goodyear offerings. Nor are they well reviewed on Tire Rack. The general complaints are that they wear poorly and are very noisy.

There are offerings from Perilli and others but they did not make 'my' list of possibles. Luke at the tire rack is the reigning expert. He has seat time with these tire on the street and the track. So if one is to abide by his advise it is the PS2 ZP hands down. If one wants to stretch the sizes not offered in the PS2 ZP, then the Michelin Super Sport or Nitto offerings come into play.

These are just my personal research results. Like everything else, opinions vary and others may have very different conclusions. I respect them just as much as I do my own conclusions.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:07 PM
OliverM5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the nitto invos and don't look back.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 732 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
I have been chasing the answer to that question myself. And what I have learned to date is this:

Luke and the good folks at The Tire Rack advise that the Michelin PS2 ZP is THE tire Michelin specifically engineered for the Z06 & ZR1 for street use, and there is nothing one can substitute that will perform better, including non-ZP. That's a strong endorsement.

Forum members have reported liking the combination of value and performance they get with the Nitto set-up. Most folks report liking the money they save over other choices and that both traction and noise are much improved over the OE Goodyears. They can be purchased in a wider rear size.

The Michelin Super Sport, just now available, is an excellent tire. It will most likely wear longer and cost less than the PS2's. It was not specifically engineered for Z06 & Zr1 applications. It is not ZP. They can be purchased in more sizes. I think there are going to be lots of folks looking to this tire for the Michelin performance at a slightly lower cost.

The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires are the set-up for a combo track/street use. What you gain in grip in the dry you more than loose in the wet. So if you are considering tracking and don't ever expect to be doing rainy driving, they are an excellent option.

It is a few and far between forum member who likes the Goodyear offerings. Nor are they well reviewed on Tire Rack. The general complaints are that they wear poorly and are very noisy.

There are offerings from Perilli and others but they did not make 'my' list of possibles. Luke at the tire rack is the reigning expert. He has seat time with these tire on the street and the track. So if one is to abide by his advise it is the PS2 ZP hands down. If one wants to stretch the sizes not offered in the PS2 ZP, then the Michelin Super Sport or Nitto offerings come into play.

These are just my personal research results. Like everything else, opinions vary and others may have very different conclusions. I respect them just as much as I do my own conclusions.
Good summary. I just ordered my second set of Michelin PS2 ZP's for my 08 Z51 coupe. My Goodyear Supercars lasted 16k, poor traction and the road grain noise was unbearable. The PS2 ZP's lasted 30k miles and are a much better all around tire.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 02-14-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:39 PM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

Received 333 Likes on 140 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by michaelinmech

Great info, thanks!!

Originally Posted by OliverM5
Get the nitto invos and don't look back.
Had Invo's on my C5Z, 345-25x20 on the rear, only put about 300 miles on them before I sold the car, but they seemed great. Not as sticky as I thought they would be tho.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:43 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

PS2 ZPs. Runflat, sticky, but pricey. Great for a street car. Shame the Invos don't come as a runflat.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:14 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

What are the cost for these tires mentioned?
Old 02-14-2012, 03:51 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
What are the cost for these tires mentioned?
tirerack.com has Michelin and Goodyear and a shipping cost estimator.

Check here in the Forum store or in the Forum Vendor Listing & Tires
Old 02-14-2012, 04:03 PM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/letter...istoric-upset-
Old 02-14-2012, 04:19 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely the Ps2s are the best....followed by the nitto Nt05, and then the Invos. Some people like the contis too.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

The Pilot Super Sport is very impressive

Don't let the 300 tread wear fool you.........when rain is a concern the softer tires are trouble.
This is my review of the PSS:
These tires stick like a 200 or less
Why I say that:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/whee...est-coast.html

As for 19/20 combos.............check this link out, MANY of these hipo cars run them:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-in-dubai.html
Old 02-17-2012, 08:09 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Allthrottleandsomebottle

Don't let the 300 tread wear fool you.........when rain is a concern the softer tires are trouble.
Why I say that:

As for 19/20 combos.............check this link out, MANY of these hipo cars run them:

Are there more sizes of the Super Sport coming out? I would love to run 345/25-20 rears together with the appropriate size 19 inch fronts. Please advise . .
Old 02-19-2012, 11:38 AM
aseipos
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad Michelin did not include their own PS2 as well as PSS in this test.

Originally Posted by Allthrottleandsomebottle

Why I say that:

Get notified of new replies

To Best street tires for 19/20 setup...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Best street tires for 19/20 setup...