Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Bondurant 1 day Z06 Driving School (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:56 PM
PHXAZ06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bondurant 1 day Z06 Driving School (long)

I attended the 1 day Z06 driving school at Bondurant yesterday with my 2 sons. What an amazing experience neither I nor my boys will ever forget!

First, I have a new-found respect for the Z06. Obviously very capable on the street, on a track you find out the complete capabilities of the car, and it's simply amazing how this car performs. I believe the cars were 2008 models, and mine had about 10,000 (tough) miles on it. I had an opportunity to chat with one of the guys from the garage area, and asked him about the reliability of these cars. His answer was "extremely reliable", which was impressive considering the lives these particlar cars lead. I asked him if he was aware of the valve issue, and his reply was the only valve problems they'd had with the LS7's was when a student downshifted into first at 80 mph. Other than that, nothing. These cars, even though driven to their limit every day, also are under a rigorous maintenance schedule, and each car was inspected while we were on lunch break.

Here's how our day went:

We showed up at 9:00, got checked in (bought insurance), and began with classroom instruction at 9:30. There were a total of 6 enrolled in the class, and 2 instructors, so a very high student/instructor ratio. Since it was myself and the 2 boys, we were a group, and partnered up with Pete Miller, who has a passion for driving and 27 years or so of experience, and was just a plain hoot to be around. The other instructor was William, and he got stuck with the other 3 slow drivers. I have to say that both instructors are adept at adjusting the curriculum to accomodate quite a disparity of skill levels of the students. After a 30 minute orientation, out to the track!

First exercise was accident avoidance, which is a skill applicable to everyday driving. Basically, it's 3 lanes (left, center, right), with a red/green light for every lane. Beginning at 30 mph, and progressing to 45 mph, you'd enter in the center lane and the instructor would then trigger the lights to indicate which lane you would need to be in to avoid an accident or situation in the other 2 lanes. On occaision, you'd get 3 red lights, and had to emergency stop, as well. This sharpened your reaction time, as is a wonderful exercise for every day street driving.

Second exercise was the skid pad. This was in the Cadillac CTS's with the out-riggers that the instructor could remotely raise or lower the pressure on either the front or rear wheels (or both), inducing oversteer or understeer. Basically, you went in a short oval, and you learned how to steer the car with your feet, not the steering wheel. I know that sounds odd, but this exercise taught you how to set the suspension of the car to achieve more grip on the front or rear, Using either the brake or gas pedals, depending on the type slide you were in. This exercise also focused on where your eyes should be as a driver, and looking forward to apexes, braking points, etc. No way you can be fast if you look out over the hood. Pete did all he could to distract you, as this required complete concentration. He rode in the passenger seat, operating the pumps in the trunk, that raised and lowered the outriggers. You could hear the pumps activate, and you know something was going to upset the car, but didn't know if your front or rear wheels were going to lose grip. Inevitably, you end up doing a 360 or 2, and you're beating the hell out of the steering wheel trying to correct the car. This was a great exercise for things to come, as once you gathered enough kahuna's on the track to press the Z06 to it's limits, you need to know what to do in case of the car breaking loose.

Now that we know what to do to get the car back in control, it's time for the track! One segent of the Bondurant facilities, is the "Maricopa Oval", part of the main track, which my guess is 3/8 or so of a mile. You'd be in 3rd gear, and one end of the oval a larger radius turn than the other, so you had 2 different type turns that required different braking points and pedal pressures, different throttle modulations, and was basically similar to racing at Bristol I would think. We'd get up to about 80 or so in the straights. We were out there for at least 45 minutes, and easily did 100 laps I would guess. Hats off to drivers that can do that for 4 hours straight, with 40 other cars.... Anyway, this was our first taste of drving the car more aggressively until you broke traction on the front or rear, or both, and when you become aware of how potent a stock Z06 can handle. It's amazing what these cars can do without losing traction, and with a little practice, how easily (with the help from nannies) you can get them back under control.

After lunch, the next exercise was heel/toe shifting/braking. We practiced the 3rd to 2nd downshift. This is something I monkeyed around with on my own prior, but never got it down, and I still don't, although I'm much better at it than I was. This is more of a muscle memory type thing that you'd have to do for hours so it's natural, and thank goodness we only practiced this for about 30 minutes. Basically you learned how to match engine rpm of the lower gear to the cars speed, so when you let the clutch out there was no upsetting the rear of the car. It's how you manage 3 pedals with 2 feet.....

Next was the autocross. This was set up like a typical autocross in a large paved area and the "track" set up with cones. All kinds of turns, short straights, etc. After a lap or 2 with the instructor in his Cadillac for course familiarization, back in your car for the exercise. You took the enitre course in 2nd gear, I think 5 total runs, with 4 of them timed. I knocked my times down each run, but never got the last turn correct which hurt my final straighaway speed and too, my overall time. This was for all the bragging rights between me and the boys, as this was the only timed event. You'd do 2 laps of the track, which took a hair less than a minute. I'm sad to report my oldest son had the best time of us 3, and I think the best time of the group, so I'm destined to listen to that for the rest of my life....(don't tell him I'm pretty proud that he's a good wheel).

Last exercise was on the Bondurant track. This is about 1.5 mile track, with 14 or 15 turns of varying radii. As novices, we kept the car in 3rd gear. This was a lead/follow exercise, where the instructors, in 6 cylinder Cadiilac CTS's, lead the pack of 3 each Z06's in increasing speeds around the track, as long as you kept up. This was real time on the track, and Pete drove the **** out of that Caddy, making it a challenge for us 3 to keep up with him in a Z06! By this time, we were somewhat familiar with the handling of the Z06, so in some turns, despite Pete's driving superiority, the Z06 simply out handled Pete's Cadillac. The other area we could make up time was of course, the front straight, where the superior acceleration of the Z06 we could make up the time we lost due to our inferior driving I think Pete pretty much was getting all he could out of the 6 cylinder, heavier car, and it was all we could do to keep up in the vastly superior Z06.
A really cool thing Pete did after we were done, was took my wife and one of my son's girlfriends for a couple laps on the Bondurant track, as they were out there taking pictures. That was a super nice thing to do.

Overall - AWESOME! Bondurant is a top notch Driving School. These people teach driving to professional drivers, folks. It's not just "let's sling around a Z06", but professional driving instruction. A novice driver like myself (you realize how novice you are after this), learned a ton and had a blast. The facility is clean, and is staffed by great folks.
Unfortunately, Bob was out of town, so I didn't get to meet him.

I had the double benefit of doing this with my 2 boys, combined with my personal experience. We had a time that none of us will ever forget. I know this may sound like a Bondurant advertisement - well it is. It's just AWESOME and thanks to Pete, William, and Cameron for hooking me up!

Next...the 2 day course.....
Old 03-08-2012, 01:31 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Cool story! Thanks for posting Did you get any pictures?
Old 03-08-2012, 01:54 PM
MyOwn69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete was my instructor in September of 2010. I just can't imagine a better person to do the job. If you spent time with him and listened and practiced what he said, you're on the right track.

Congrats on a great experience and a life-long memory - but the boys still have to do their share of cutting the grass!
Old 03-08-2012, 02:10 PM
PHXAZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I'll post some tonight, when I'm home and can download them off the camera.
thanks for the reply.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:13 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

Very good writeup! I attended the two-day Z06 course just about two years ago. Shortly thereafter, I bought a Z06.

It's probably the single best thing I have done to improve my driving skills, and I don't know how old your kids are (guessing at least 18?) and it will certainly keep them much safer on the streets.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:25 PM
BillB3672
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Great Article - Thanks

Thanks for the article on the Bondurant driving school. I live about 20 minutes from Firebird and my wife has been bugging me to take this same school, so this will encourage me to do so. I have Z06 and love the ride!
Old 03-08-2012, 02:27 PM
PHXAZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by Z06_Mir
Very good writeup! I attended the two-day Z06 course just about two years ago. Shortly thereafter, I bought a Z06.

It's probably the single best thing I have done to improve my driving skills, and I don't know how old your kids are (guessing at least 18?) and it will certainly keep them much safer on the streets.
Oldest son is 29 (he makes me feel really old), and manages a tire store, so he's really into cars. He's done a few Richard Petty driving events, and is in to driving big time. He did mention after the class that the urge to cut up on the street had been satisfied. We'll see....
I feel the same way, really. Even having access to the Z06 on a daily basis, my thoughts have turned to getting it out to a track, instead of risking your license and/or endangering others on the street.

Younger son is 25, so to the poster above that mentioned cutting the grass, neither one are around for that, and here in Phoenix, my back "yard" takes all of 15 minutes to mow, anyway.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:32 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BillB3672
Thanks for the article on the Bondurant driving school. I live about 20 minutes from Firebird and my wife has been bugging me to take this same school, so this will encourage me to do so. I have Z06 and love the ride!
Firebird is such an awesome resource that we have as Phoenix locals. I know this is off-topic but if The Gila River Tribe doesn't come to an agreement we are going to lose Firebird & Bondurant.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:51 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by PHXAZ06
Oldest son is 29 (he makes me feel really old), and manages a tire store, so he's really into cars. He's done a few Richard Petty driving events, and is in to driving big time. He did mention after the class that the urge to cut up on the street had been satisfied. We'll see....
I feel the same way, really. Even having access to the Z06 on a daily basis, my thoughts have turned to getting it out to a track, instead of risking your license and/or endangering others on the street.

Younger son is 25, so to the poster above that mentioned cutting the grass, neither one are around for that, and here in Phoenix, my back "yard" takes all of 15 minutes to mow, anyway.
Excellent !!!! While we didn't have a chance to meet on the ACE Gila Bend BBQ run, but stay in touch, as we have several private track rentals out at Inde Motorsport Park in Wilcox every year...which usually has 4-8 + local AZ C6 Z06 buddies running the track

You'll have an absolute blast running that track
Old 03-08-2012, 05:43 PM
PHXAZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Excellent !!!! While we didn't have a chance to meet on the ACE Gila Bend BBQ run, but stay in touch, as we have several private track rentals out at Inde Motorsport Park in Wilcox every year...which usually has 4-8 + local AZ C6 Z06 buddies running the track

You'll have an absolute blast running that track
That was my first function with you guys, and it seems like a good bunch of folks with a few wacko's mixed in for entertainment!

I'd love to experience another track, and now I guess I need to learn how to prep my car.....
Old 03-08-2012, 05:49 PM
PHXAZ06
Pro

One thing I forgot to mention, but learned, is that if you pull your seat belt all the way out, it will actually "ratchet" back in, locking at whatever belt tension is comfortable. To disengage, just un-buckle it, let it reel up all the way, and it would go back to mormal operation until the next time you pulled it all the way out.
Hopefully, I'm not the only guy on here that didn't know that...
This was a great way to keep from sliding around in the seat -- a notable complaint often heard around here.
I didn't check to see if my 2006 has it, but these cars did, and they were stock except for exhaust and brakes, best I could tell and was told.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:08 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_Mir
Firebird is such an awesome resource that we have as Phoenix locals. I know this is off-topic but if The Gila River Tribe doesn't come to an agreement we are going to lose Firebird & Bondurant.
Wha-Wha WHATTT!! Please lord no. What's the down-low on this?? We'd have no where close for HPDE then :-(
Old 03-08-2012, 06:13 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BillB3672
Your wife has to bug you to take this class? Really? I mean, really? :-P
Old 03-08-2012, 08:43 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 450 Likes on 254 Posts

I took this class last year and it was the highlight of my 40 years of high performance driving! Here is my write-up & pic's http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...nk-you-gm.html
Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 PM
PHXAZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Here's a few:

First one is a few guys going out on the track (to the left) on their third day in GS's.
Second is the Z06's lined up.
Third is major smack talking while we were waiting our turns for the autocross (sorry for the pole and fence)
Attached Images    

Last edited by PHXAZ06; 03-08-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:52 PM
rev2000
Cruising

Great write up!

I had the pleasure of attending Bondurant for the two day Z06 school last year...what a blast - I highly recommend it!

Bob Bondurant was at the school during my session - he and his wife were kind enough to stop by and meet the students during one of our breaks. At one point, after an in classroom session as we headed back outside, there was a ZR1 ripping around the track. One of our instructors says "Bob's out for his morning drive...anyone want to go for a ride?". HELL YEAH...sign me up!!! Needless to say it was a great experience to go for a couple laps in a ZR1 with a legend of motorsports.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:42 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phxcobra
Wha-Wha WHATTT!! Please lord no. What's the down-low on this?? We'd have no where close for HPDE then :-(
Here's the link to what was posted on our local forum.... very sad indeed. Keeping my fingers crossed though. I'd hate to have to drive to Speedworld (or possibly farther with a new track) just to race. It already takes me almost an hour to get to Speedworld

http://www.arizonacorvetteenthusiast...howtopic=20249

Originally Posted by rev2000
Great write up!

I had the pleasure of attending Bondurant for the two day Z06 school last year...what a blast - I highly recommend it!

Bob Bondurant was at the school during my session - he and his wife were kind enough to stop by and meet the students during one of our breaks. At one point, after an in classroom session as we headed back outside, there was a ZR1 ripping around the track. One of our instructors says "Bob's out for his morning drive...anyone want to go for a ride?". HELL YEAH...sign me up!!! Needless to say it was a great experience to go for a couple laps in a ZR1 with a legend of motorsports.
That sounds AWESOME!!! Was his dog still around at that point? When he did the meet and greet for our class his adorable dog came and said hello too.

Get notified of new replies

To Bondurant 1 day Z06 Driving School (long)

Old 03-08-2012, 11:42 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,499 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Pete, glad you had a great time and got some time with a skilled instructor. The Bondurant track is quite fun and technical so a precise line is rewarded on the clock. It very definitely gives lots of opportunities to understand chassis dynamics and how it affects handling plus patience in applying the throttle.

Dave
Old 03-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Batman 357
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

I took the two day class last month. It's an A+ experience.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:38 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by PHXAZ06
One thing I forgot to mention, but learned, is that if you pull your seat belt all the way out, it will actually "ratchet" back in, locking at whatever belt tension is comfortable. To disengage, just un-buckle it, let it reel up all the way, and it would go back to mormal operation until the next time you pulled it all the way out.
Hopefully, I'm not the only guy on here that didn't know that...
This was a great way to keep from sliding around in the seat -- a notable complaint often heard around here.
I didn't check to see if my 2006 has it, but these cars did, and they were stock except for exhaust and brakes, best I could tell and was told.
Additionally, if you motor your seat all the way back before you ratchet up the seat belt tensioner, pull the belt as tight as you can, then move your seat forward to help even more

Quick Reply: [Z06] Bondurant 1 day Z06 Driving School (long)